PDA

View Full Version : New to this board

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

ccso8218
Thu, Mar-03-11, 22:32
Hi all. I'm new to this board - long time lo carber from 2000 to about 06 or so. Between 2000 and 2001 I went from 348 lbs to 220 in about a year. Around 06 I got down to 185 by following a couple different diets of about 800 calories, plus running several miles a day. I've put weight back on, up to about 245 now and would like to get back down. I'm going back on low carb, been doing it for about two weeks now - haven't checked my weight yet. We'll see how it goes.

ImOnMyWay
Fri, Mar-04-11, 23:18
Welcome to the forums! There are lots of great people here - and loads of support.

I see you are following "Atkins style". Are you modifying Atkins?

Best wishes to you in your weight loss journey!

JohnGibson
Sat, Mar-05-11, 09:37
CCSO,

Sounds like you and I are kindred spirits. This is my upteenth time being back on LC.

I am maintaining a 85 pound weight loss for now, and hoping to drop another 30 pounds, but right now my body is not cooperating.

John

ccso8218
Sat, Mar-05-11, 12:53
I'm On - not modifying it yet. One of the mistakes I've made with several false starts is not eating enough fat. I've tried to do it in years past eating only low fat turkey or salmon burgers and cutting out bacon, eggs, fatty burger and stuff like that. It has led to failure, inevitably. I believe the reason for that is because excess protein can lead to raised insulin levels. I know the presence of fats slows the release of insulin.

I am staying away from bars and shakes as well. That type to thing has made me stall out before, or get totally off track. I would say I am in the induction phase right now. I intend to stay in this mode for several months. I already am feeling more satisfied eating less food. Adding carbs can be a downward spiral. As time goes on I may transition towards a paleo type mode, with more organ meats and things of that nature.

John - yes, I have bounced up and down for years. I hit 220 in about 2001 and remained between 215-225 for years, going off an back on to lose the weight. During the "off" times (I realize all this now) my sugar surges were insane and I gorged myself on carbs. It affected my behavior, I was very impulsive and felt like I couldn't stop. During some of that time I was weight training very hard and felt like I needed carbs to progress. I probably did, but not the simple carbs I ended up eating.

In late 05, I felt like I was going back up in weight, so I drastically altered my diet. I began to eat about 800-1200 calories per day mostly in the form of raw vegetables and some fruits, with some very thinned out oatmeal or other grains. I started running 2-3 miles per day and doing higher volume weight training. I got down to 185 pounds (which was probably about 25 pounds too low) and was about 6 percent body fat.

In that process I lost a lot of muscle I had built up the prior five years. When I got married a few years ago I stopped dieting all together. My wife doesn't understand nutrition and eats horribly, although it doesn't affect her at all and she's very tiny. This has led me to where I am today. I can look at a closet full of clothes which fit me 40 pounds ago, and I don't want them to go to waste. So I need to do this again and stay with it for the rest of my life.

~Dolphin~
Sat, Mar-05-11, 13:46
hi ccso! Welcome to the forum!

I'm starting Atkins for the second time myself with a tale very similar to yours. :) In 1998 I weighed 275 lbs and lost 83 on Atkins. Kept them off for ages. After I got married, I slowly began to gain the weight back. My husband loves to eat, I do too, and he always made me feel beautiful regardless of the pounds I was packing on, so it was very easy to keep the blinders on about how much I was re-gaining-- and then gaining...

Look forward to getting to know you and watching your progress. I'm pretty new here too, but this is already a great place for resources, support and tracking your own progress. I've started using the My P.L.A.N. tool, which is really revelatory about the percentages we take in, of fat, protein, etc., and have begun a journal as well. I really recommend them both!

Best of luck and see you around here!