PDA

View Full Version : Just getting started...lots of questions!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

amehrkens
Tue, Mar-01-11, 16:09
I am just getting started on my LC journey and I have lots of questions. I have started reading the Atkins new revolution but I am not finished yet. I started my LC journey 2-28-11 in hopes that it will boost my weight loss....I think I have hit a plateau. Questions I have:

How long does it take to reach ketosis?
Is there a way other than test strips to tell if you are in ketosis?
Yesterday I went over in my soduim by 800mg...how big of a deal is this?
Is diet snapple o.k.? It has no calories or carbs but I don't want to screw this up!

I am sure Iw ill have other questions along the way! I am almost done with day 2 and so far so good.....

ImOnMyWay
Tue, Mar-01-11, 20:20
Hello,

Welcome to the forums!

Keep reading your copy of Diet Revolution; it will answer some of your questions.

Just to clarify: you started eating low carb - February 28, 2011 - that is, yesterday?

If you overdo it on sodium, drink more water.

There are different opinions on whether or not to use artificial sweeteners. How much Diet Snapple are you talking about? I personally think it's fine to have a diet soda now and then.

But it's a good idea to start off with a "clean" induction. That is, for the first two weeks, eat or drink nothing that is not on the list of "legal" foods. You can't go wrong that way.

:)

amberview
Tue, Mar-01-11, 22:22
Your weight will jump around a bit from day to day and even hour to hour. It is best to look weight over time. Also, pay attention to how your clothes fit rather than weight. There are so many factors that can affect your weight in a day or as I said before in an hour. Today I ate something with a lot of sodium and by evening I was up 5lbs of water weight and a swollen belly. That's the danger of too much sodium. However, if you stick to it no matter what the scales say initially, you should see results. Don't consider something a plateau until you see no weight change for a month. If you are a woman our monthly business can also affect what we see on the scale.

amehrkens
Wed, Mar-02-11, 08:24
Yes, I just started, today is day 3 for me. I have been on my weighloss journey for over 3 years and I have lost 114lbs, I am kinda stuck in a rut and thought the LC would help get me thru that.

Day 2 went great and I didn't go over in my sodium, so that was good. I have already noticed I feel so full after each meal.

~Dolphin~
Wed, Mar-02-11, 10:20
I am just getting started on my LC journey and I have lots of questions. I have started reading the Atkins new revolution but I am not finished yet. I started my LC journey 2-28-11 in hopes that it will boost my weight loss....I think I have hit a plateau. Questions I have:

How long does it take to reach ketosis?
Is there a way other than test strips to tell if you are in ketosis?
Yesterday I went over in my soduim by 800mg...how big of a deal is this?
Is diet snapple o.k.? It has no calories or carbs but I don't want to screw this up!

I am sure Iw ill have other questions along the way! I am almost done with day 2 and so far so good.....

Hi and welcome! :wave:

Hi and welcome! I'm a new member too! I did Atkins very successfully once before, but after several years rebounded, and am back at it again. To answer what I can:

The test strips are the best way I know of to tell if you're in ketosis, however, they can fluctuate during a single day and occassionally you can read less, just because your body isn't dumping the ketos at that exact time you urinated. Really I find too that increased energy and better mental clarity are a good indicator for me that it's working.

Heavy sodium intake will definitely increase your water retention which often makes the weight loss slower, but other than that it's not a huge deal, particularly once in a while.

The diet snapple I can't really answer for you. For myself I've been trying to avoid the artificial sweetners as much as possible right now, partly because I know they're not great for me, but I know they are allowed. That question though may be one for someone else to answer better than I can. :)

Good luck to you and hope to see you around here!

ljsmom
Wed, Mar-02-11, 12:04
Welcome to the group....You have came to a great place for support, tips and friendship...I wish you much success....

Just some personal things..I can tell I am in ketosis by a yuck taste in my mouth...I have never used the sticks personally..kind of like a metal taste...

Also I am not bothered like alot of others by sodium and I do not watch my intake but like many said if you over do it just drink lots of water to flush it out

I do drink diet snapple..I do diet peach green tea every day..it is my sweet treat and green tea is supposed to be very good for us..doesnt make me crave and the sweetener doesnt seem to stall me

hope this helps some..its all different for everyone, so just listen to your body and good luck

amehrkens
Wed, Mar-02-11, 15:48
Thank you so much! I am excited to embark on this new journey, I am almost at the end of day 3 and so far it has been going really well. I have yet to experience the "carb flu" and hoping I dont. Since I have already been trying to lose weight I have already cut out most of my sugars so I am hoping not to have the cravings so much, although today I really want a piece of chocolate!