PDA

View Full Version : Eat Right America Challenge

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Merpig
Sun, Feb-20-11, 16:23
I was at Whole Foods today where I got in my grocery bag a *free gift from Whole Foods Market*. It was a flyer to take part in the Eat Right America Challenge. You go online and fill out a questionaire all about your eating habits, lifestyle, weight loss or health goals - and then get a "personalized" eating/nutrition plan.

You get asked your age, weight, waist-measurement, hip measurement, highest weight, goal weight, medical conditions - then a questionaire about eating - things like how often do you eat red meat, processed meats, full-fat dairy, eggs, low-fat dairy, veggies, fruits, etc. Then stuff about your cholesterol numbers (total, LDL and triglycerides), blood pressure, fasting glucose, then in the end if gives you your overall HEALTH ASSESSMENT. So how did I do?

Well it describes the SAD as being: 25% high-fat animal products, 12% healthy fruits and veggies, 63% high calorie processed foods.

Mine came out (by the way the measure): 66% high-fat animal products, 29% healthy fruits and veggies (even though I told them I eat NO fruit), 6% high calorie processed food (I guess bacon fell in this category, :lol: )

It then lists the healthiest foods that all have a MINIMUM DAILY REQUIREMENT. Their list of what these are and the daily requirement (and my intake in parens)
- Whole grains: 1 (0)
- Nuts and Seeds: 1 (0.1)
- Beans: 0.5 (0)
- Fruits: 3 (0)
- Cooked green veggies: 2 (2)
- Raw green veggies: 2 (0)

Then they have the BAD FOODS which have a weekly MAXIMUM amount. So here is the list of bad foods and their weekly maximum, and my intake in parens:
- Oils: 0 (0 - mine is zero as coconut oil didn't seem to be one of their choices!)
- Snacks: 0 (7 - I wondered about this, then realized they counted my one daily cup of coffee as a snack)
- Pasta and Bread: 1 (0)
- Full Fat Dairy: 0 (8)
- Red Meat: 0 (7)
- Animal products: 2 (11)

So my overall health score, on a scale of 1(bad) to 10(good) came out to be 1.7 - VERY POOR. In conclusion, your overall health risk assessment and healthy life expectancy is Very Poor...Your lifestyle places you at significant risk for developing heart disease. Nutritional excellence, regular exercise and other lifestyle changes can be very effective as a way to lower your risk. We will help you identify those choices later in the report...Besides your risk of heart attack stated above, you also have a very high risk of sudden cardiac death. You must take action immediately to lower your risk. Sudden cardiac death can be caused by an irregular heartbeat, not a heart attack. Your risk of sudden death is increased due to your low intake of those nutrients and fatty acids that are protective against an irregular heartbeat...Your risk of ischemic stroke is very high, but your risk of hemorrhagic stroke is moderate....Even though you already have diabetes, the information you supplied demonstrated that your current lifestyle choices do not improve your chances of avoiding progression of the diseases we know are related to Diabetes. Nutritional excellence and regular exercise have been shown to be very effective in preventing and in some casesreversing diabetes and its effects. We will share recommendations later in the report that will help you to be on that path...Your current lifestyle choices are placing you at significant risk for developing cancer. Making better eating and fitness choices can reduce that risk...Your current lifestyle choices are placing you at significant risk for development of osteoporosis. We will help you identify better eating and exercise choices you can make to help reduce your risk... I'm quite a mess, aren't I? My personal report goes on to tell me the things I'm doing wrong that put me in such a terrible category!
Your answers indicate that your risk for heart attack, sudden cardiac death, stroke, diabetes, cancer, and osteoporosis, may be driven by:
Dairy
Especially: full-fat dairy
Risks Affected: heart attack, sudden cardiac death, stroke, and cancer
Prostate, ovarian and breast cancer have all been linked to consumption of dairy products.2 3 4 5 In addition, full fat dairy products contain high levels of saturated fat and cholesterol which can increase risk of heart disease.6
Meat
Especially: red meat, white meat, processed meat, and cured meat
Risks Affected: heart attack, sudden cardiac death, stroke, cancer, and osteoporosis
Meat is high in saturated fat which can increase your risk of heart disease. Red and processed meat consumption have been linked to heightened cancer risk especially for colorectal and lung cancer.9
Consume more plant based meals like salads with healthy dressings and vegetable/bean soups and stews. Utilize delicious main dishes with beans which lower cholesterol and are linked to enhanced longevity. Substitute nut or seed butters or hummus for processed meats/cold cuts.
Salt
Risks Affected: heart attack, sudden cardiac death, stroke, and osteoporosis
High salt/sodium intake is a major risk factor for high blood pressure which substantially increases the risk of developing heart disease and both ischemic and hemorrhagic stroke.14 15 Reducing your salt intake is especially important. It is not only a risk for stroke, but also heart disease, osteoporosis and stomach cancer. Processed foods are typically very high in sodium.16 17Most of the salt consumption in America is from processed foods and restaurant meals. Use only unsalted soups, make and purchase salad dressing without salt added. The goal is to keep sodium levels below 1000mg/day.
Read Nutrition Facts Labels on processed foods to learn how much sodium they contain. Retrain your taste buds to appreciate the natural flavors of foods. Eat more food you prepare yourself and use herbs and spices for added flavors instead of salt...Do vigorous exercises...Reducing salt intake, reducing caffeine consumption...You should also do more cardiovascular training.... Yeah, I did say that I added salt to me food, but I also said that I ate NO high-sodium processed foods! If I didn't add salt I'd probably be sodium deficient.

For "my" recommendation I'm told: We recommend that you get at least 94% of your calories from unrefined plant based foods. Animal foods should be a max of 2 times a week, fat and oils - zero servings per week...

Ah, but then I came to the next sentences: Recommended Level 3
Definition of Level: This is what Dr. Fuhrman uses in his medical practice when people want to maximize their weight loss results or have to reverse serious autoimmune diseases, (such as rheumatoid arthritis or lupus), or when someone has heart disease (atherosclerosis) or diabetes.You may be prescribed this level if your current eating habits are similar to those suggested on this level. Suddenly the name of Dr. Fuhrman appears! It all begins to make sense now. Apparently the whole thing is a Dr. Furhman plan, and he's got some arrangement with Whole Foods pass these things out to customers! Grrrrr. It gets frustrating.

The website is www.eatrightamericachallenge.com but not just anyone can sign up. You have to have an "access code". The one on my flyer was 'CERANEWOP' in case anyone wants to try it themselves. If the key doesn't work twice and you want to try to just PM me as I got three free codes I can pass on to friends. I'm curious how the diets of other folks here would stack up on this plan.

Luckily Whole Foods may be passing these out, but you can still get decent meat there.

honeypie
Sun, Feb-20-11, 16:33
Luckily Whole Foods may be passing these out, but you can still get decent meat there.

This is HILARIOUS, that you ended with this!!

JUST what I had been thinking to myself, throughout the length of your ENTIRE post!!! :lol: :thup:

WereBear
Mon, Feb-21-11, 09:29
The website is www.eatrightamericachallenge.com but not just anyone can sign up. You have to have an "access code".

When I went there, they will let you click on a button and get one automatically.

Thanks, Merpig, this was a hoot! I could almost hear the gears whirring on their server as my meat consumption registered "ABOUT TO KEEL OVER" and then my veggie consumption went to "GITTIN' THAT FIVE A DAY."

And it was with great satisfaction that I said "Yes" to Have you been making a strong effort to eat healthfully over the last 5 years?

SAD has processed foods at 63%, and mine was only 8%. But did this give me a good score? Sadly, no. I am in poor health at 3.9!

My total cholesterol is too high at 240, even though every other marker like blood pressure & Vitamin D is either "optimum" or "normal." How did I do that? Without any drugs, which I told you I don't take. Still, that must be why I am at VERY HIGH RISK for heart attack, sudden death, and ischemic stroke. Really? My doctor thinks I'm a success story. Will he be surprised!

And I'm overweight with a BMI of 25.8. To be "normal", according to their handy chart, I should weigh no more than 140. (BTW, they are being a lot stricter than this BMI calculator (http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/).)

Really? 25 pounds less than I am now? I'm a size 10 in pants so I would be a size 6 at the most? I wear a size 9 shoe and my shoulders are six inches wider and I'm three inches taller than the woman I know who is a size 6... but that's what I'm supposed to fit into? Really, Eat Right America?

Hokay, how I am supposed to accomplish this?

I'm not eating enough fruit and beans and legumes!
I'm not eating enough vegetables (though I put in quite a bit...)
I'm ruining that healthful salad with oil!

I'm supposed to have 2% processed foods, 4% meat and dairy (WTF?!?!?) and 94% vegetables and fruit. NO fats or oils or food substances containing such. Lean meat twice a week. 3 servings of whole grains or starchy vegetables DAILY.

All I can say is: yeah, right! with maximum NYC sarcasm.

No wonder people don't know what to eat any more. This is the kind of "advice" they are getting!

cnmLisa
Mon, Feb-21-11, 10:11
This was just hysterical!

I took the survey and like Were I could just hear it getting ready to say "dangerwillrobinsondanger danger!"

I wish I could be as detailed as Were, but I can't find the "analysis and prescription" that they developed for me.

At least I know what I WILL NOT be eating:p

Merpig
Mon, Feb-21-11, 10:36
I'm supposed to have 2% processed foods, 4% meat and dairy (WTF?!?!?) and 94% vegetables and fruit. NO fats or oils or food substances containing such. Lean meat twice a week. 3 servings of whole grains or starchy vegetables DAILY.Sounds like you got the same diet prescription I got. And yes, it was fun to answer "YES" to the question about "Have you been making a strong effort to eat healthfully over the last 5 years?". Obviously I'm failing miserably. :lol: .

I did actually save the PDF they generated for my my "plan" in case I want to go back and have a chuckle again.