PDA

View Full Version : Information on Glycemic Index

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

DaddioM
Tue, Feb-15-11, 14:30
Hi everyone,

I want the carbs I do eat to be absorbed slowly, it gives me a better chance of using them up before they stick.

Does anyone have any good sites on the Glycemic index?

Mike

lowjax
Tue, Feb-15-11, 14:40
Here is a link to a site that has a database of all kinds of foods including the Glycemic Index and Glycemic Load.

http://www.glycemicindex.com/

Click on the GI Database link on the side.

Requin
Tue, Feb-15-11, 15:50
I question the idea of slow digesting carbs. Doesn't that mean you keep your blood glucose at an elevated level for a longer period of time? No high spike, just longer at higher than ideal levels??

Deezil
Tue, Feb-15-11, 16:01
I question the idea of slow digesting carbs. Doesn't that mean you keep your blood glucose at an elevated level for a longer period of time? No high spike, just longer at higher than ideal levels??

I was always under the impression that it was more of a "trickle" effect..released slower into the bloodstream causing the level to be less elevated as opposed to the high peak-quick drop ie. rollercoaster effect..

Would love to hear more on this...

Judynyc
Tue, Feb-15-11, 16:46
For whats its worth to anyone, the South Beach Diet is based around the GI.
The way I understand the GI is when you eat according to it, the goal is to keep your blood sugar low and stable, no spikes.
It also takes into account the level of processing that goes into different carb foods....ie: flour from grains can make a food too high on the GI if it removes too much of the fiber.

Things like low carb tortillas maybe considered 'low carb' but will be high on the GI because its ground into white flour. :idea:

When we have an apple, we have it with a little peanut butter because the fat slows down the digestion. :yum: and its goood!! ;)

Requin
Tue, Feb-15-11, 18:16
Right- low GI means no roller coaster. But insulin sends glucose into cells, and if there's too much for energy needs, it's converted to fat. So if you're constantly digesting low GI (but high carb foods) wouldn't that mean you're constantly producing the insulin and taking the glucose out of the blood and storing it??

Judynyc
Tue, Feb-15-11, 18:27
Right- low GI means no roller coaster. But insulin sends glucose into cells, and if there's too much for energy needs, it's converted to fat. So if you're constantly digesting low GI (but high carb foods) wouldn't that mean you're constantly producing the insulin and taking the glucose out of the blood and storing it??
I suppose it comes down to how you define 'high carb foods' and 'constantly pumping insulin'.
I can't really answer you on how much insulin my body pumps. I just know that I learned how to eat to keep my weight stable.
Its also about food combining.

I am not diabetic nor do I even know my blood sugar levels...but I did lose all my weight following SB and have kept it all off too.
I guess I must've learned something, huh? ;)

Nancy LC
Tue, Feb-15-11, 19:16
Best way to figure it out is to buy a blood glucose monitor and take a reading before eating, then 1 hour later. Aim to keep the BG levels no higher than 140 (maximum), optimally much lower.

The Reli-on Micrometer from Walmart is $8 and the strips are some of the cheapest. Reliability is just fine.

DaddioM
Sun, Mar-13-11, 19:47
Thanks all for the inputs.

I'm not suggesting that it's ok to eat high carb, it's just that when I am eating carbs.. a slow release will better match my metabolism so the sugar produced is less likely to be stored as fat. It's kinda like the recommendation to eat several small meals vs 3 large ones. Energy to match the metabolism.

Good concept, I wish all the foods were labeled.

Mike

abbykitty
Mon, Mar-14-11, 14:13
For whats its worth to anyone, the South Beach Diet is based around the GI.
The way I understand the GI is when you eat according to it, the goal is to keep your blood sugar low and stable, no spikes.
It also takes into account the level of processing that goes into different carb foods....ie: flour from grains can make a food too high on the GI if it removes too much of the fiber.

Things like low carb tortillas maybe considered 'low carb' but will be high on the GI because its ground into white flour. :idea:

When we have an apple, we have it with a little peanut butter because the fat slows down the digestion. :yum: and its goood!! ;)
The one thing I remember about the south beach book was if you're going to eat bread, it should be sour dough and slather butter on it. No idea if that's really what it said but that's what I do if I cheat. .. makes me feel better about it. :)

freckles
Mon, Mar-14-11, 16:10
The Reli-on Micrometer from Walmart is $8 and the strips are some of the cheapest. Reliability is just fine.

Thanks for that little tidbit...going to check it out on Wednesday!

Robin120
Tue, Mar-15-11, 08:17
I don't have the studies handy ATM, but the research has shown glycemic LOAD is more important to blood glucose control, than glycemic IMPACT.

GL takes into account portion size ;)

As a type I diabetic, I agree. If I eat an apple, it will raise my blood sugar the same amount as if I eat an apple with peanut butter, even though the GI is lower for the apple with pb. It will simply take longer for my blood sugar to go up.

Judynyc
Tue, Mar-15-11, 08:36
The one thing I remember about the south beach book was if you're going to eat bread, it should be sour dough and slather butter on it. No idea if that's really what it said but that's what I do if I cheat. .. makes me feel better about it. :)
It always strikes me funny the way we recall things the way we want to. ;)
Sour dough bread slathered in butter? really? :lol:

Sounds yummy! But I highly doubt that is what is written in the book as SB doesn't want us eating any butter in the first place.
While I do use a bit of butter when I have a slice of Ezekiel toast, I also know that it is my choice to use butter and not because SBD says its ok. :idea:

abbykitty
Sun, Mar-20-11, 19:58
It always strikes me funny the way we recall things the way we want to. ;)
Sour dough bread slathered in butter? really? :lol:

Sounds yummy! But I highly doubt that is what is written in the book as SB doesn't want us eating any butter in the first place.
While I do use a bit of butter when I have a slice of Ezekiel toast, I also know that it is my choice to use butter and not because SBD says its ok. :idea:

Here's the quote I was referring to: "Fats and proteins also slow the speed with which your stomach does its job on carbs. Eating a little protein, or some fat - good fat, naturally - along with your carbs is beneficial. A little olive oil on your bread, or some low fat cheese, is actually better for you than the bread alone." p. 55.

So yeah, it didn't specify butter, but the concept of bread with fat is better than just bread is what I remembered. Not bad considering I haven't looked at the book in about 7 years. . . . :)

Judynyc
Sun, Mar-20-11, 21:33
Here's the quote I was referring to: "Fats and proteins also slow the speed with which your stomach does its job on carbs. Eating a little protein, or some fat - good fat, naturally - along with your carbs is beneficial. A little olive oil on your bread, or some low fat cheese, is actually better for you than the bread alone." p. 55.

So yeah, it didn't specify butter, but the concept of bread with fat is better than just bread is what I remembered. Not bad considering I haven't looked at the book in about 7 years. . . . :)
:lol: Yes! I figured it was something like that! :agree:
I do enjoy a slice of Ezekiel toast with a smear of cashew butter and a bit of boysenberry jam!! :yum: