PDA

View Full Version : Free weights

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Brinethery
Tue, Feb-15-11, 03:37
Week six will be coming up soon for me on my LC journey. In my plan, I decided that I want to start slowly incorporating dumbbells into my workout routine at the six week mark.

I'm a lazy exerciser and hate... ABSOLUTELY HATE... the gym. Since I'm a girl, I always feel nervous sitting in the weight room surrounded by a bunch of guys. So I think dumbbells is a good way to go, since it's super-cheap to do and I can keep the weights anywhere. At this point, I'm just doing yoga and aerobics videos.

I was thinking of starting with curls, tricep extensions, and lunges. Like I said, I'm keeping this really simple and going slow in order to prevent extreme soreness and so I don't feel intimidated and just quit.

Does anyone have some helpful tips? Is there any ideal amount of sets/reps for someone who wants to do longer reps in order to build strength and lose fat in the process? Is there an ideal time of when to eat before lifting?

Any tips would help immensely! :wave:

FowlFiend
Tue, Mar-01-11, 08:17
I hope you get a good answer. I am also using some dumbbells - have been using them for 4 weeks and can see and feel a difference. I'd love to have some good alternate exercises!