PDA

View Full Version : eating disorders

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Symphonyod
Fri, Feb-11-11, 13:16
Does anyone here struggle with this? How does low carb effect that?

Kristine
Fri, Feb-11-11, 15:01
Hi. :rheart: Check the Emotional Issues/Body Image (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=121) forum. There are quite a few threads there, although I'm not sure if any of them are active recently.

As far as how LC relates to it... I think it puts you in the best possible defensive position against binge eating. Someone with extreme control/restriction compulsions might struggle, though, because of how ketosis can make you completely lose your appetite.

Symphonyod
Fri, Feb-11-11, 16:41
ooh thanks!

Glendora
Fri, Feb-11-11, 17:30
As far as how LC relates to it... I think it puts you in the best possible defensive position against binge eating.

THIS, times ten.

WereBear
Fri, Feb-11-11, 19:50
I wrestled emotional eating to the ground in my early twenties.

But I thought it still haunted me, because I WOULD GET SO HUNGRY. And I'd just had a "healthy" low fat meal of pasta with low fat sauce, and a salad with low fat dressing!

:rolleyes:

What I didn't know, until Atkins, was how all those carbs were killing my blood sugar, and was responsible for my constant, unrelenting, mistaken for emotional, eating.

Once I went low carb, all that unreasonable hunger just went away. And I had a better perspective on my moods; which became downright merry.

leemack
Sat, Feb-12-11, 06:38
I've suffered from binge eating disorder since I was about 10. Since starting low carb, even though I have had a few cheats, I haven't binged in months. This is a first for me!!

Lee

WereBear
Sat, Feb-12-11, 07:39
I think low carb removes the biological feedback, and thus the trigger, for binges. Yes, such disordered eating is a sign of emotional issues; but it wouldn't work as a coping mechanism (no matter how disordered) if it didn't also have a physiological response.

Low carb removes the egg; and so the chicken goes away, too.

nycmama
Tue, Feb-22-11, 12:24
I also have "this" times ten! Been every weight under the sun, underweight and overweight, starving and binging/purging.

I can't diet and the reason for that is - little things seem to trigger me. I'm upset - binge looms like a tiger and soon enough I'm eating an entire bag of cookies and my head is in a toilet. It's a sad cycle that I have been fighting since I was 12!

Anyway,
LC keeps me FAR AWAY from that cycle. I'm not sure why I ever stop doing the LC way of life as I know that it prevents me from binging. Of course - put me in front of chocolate and I might slip - but not nearly as often without the LC power behind me.

Currently I am a mom and I am determined not to let EDs rule my life or prevent me from doing the job God so generously gave me. Engaging in ED behaviors seems and is so criminal to me... so I watch it. I try my hardest.