PDA

View Full Version : After a Cheat... Did you notice this too?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

1fatass
Tue, Feb-08-11, 10:33
As I am sure all of us have cheated from time to time. But have you noticed that with just a one meal cheat that it takes a week to get back to where you were?

Whether it was a one meal or a weekend cheat, it just does not seem to matter. It takes me literally an entire week to get back on track with the scale weight, etc.

Any thoughts why? I was thinking maybe water weight, etc?

Here's to no more cheating, "Was the pasta (insert favorite cheat here) really worth a week of discomfort?" :q:

Nancy LC
Tue, Feb-08-11, 10:38
Yes. :) It always did for me. If I EVER got back. Lately the cheats seem to become permanent setbacks.

cnmLisa
Tue, Feb-08-11, 10:47
"Was the pasta (insert favorite cheat here) really worth a week of discomfort?" :q:

No it's not.

Some of us finally come to that realization, some of us never.

Take it as a lesson learned.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa

Lisa

Glendora
Tue, Feb-08-11, 12:49
As I am sure all of us have cheated from time to time. But have you noticed that with just a one meal cheat that it takes a week to get back to where you were?

Yes. And it takes anywhere between two and four weeks for me to feel physically and emotionally better -- even if the weight is gone in that time.

Wildeone
Tue, Feb-08-11, 13:08
Amen. I've only been doing this for 4 weeks and cheated and gained 8lbs !!! Took 3-4 days to drop again - such a waste of a week!

TechShelly
Tue, Feb-08-11, 13:34
I ate special occasion food (enchiladas, etc.) at a party, drank a girly drink, felt like hell the next day (but was back on first thing in the morning). By day 2, ketostix nice and dark, feeling good again. Maybe I'm just a good bouncer, or the fat that I went right back to "normal" good eating worked. Dunno. But that pizza dip - I'm gonna make it, sans bread. Twas good, meaty, cheesy and a little saucy.

charlene1
Tue, Feb-08-11, 14:00
I have been "cheating" on the weekends for about a month now. It's no wonder why I haven't budged the scale. I was on target all day yesterday until just after lunch and I had a chocolate chip cookie which just sent me over the edge and I binged for the rest of the day. I'm back on the wagon as of today and I'm going to do my best not to indulge in anything that will throw me out of ketosis (once I get back in it). By the way, has anyone had any experience with the low carb bread from Julian Bakery?

ShesGG
Tue, Feb-08-11, 15:23
I have been "cheating" on the weekends for about a month now. It's no wonder why I haven't budged the scale. I was on target all day yesterday until just after lunch and I had a chocolate chip cookie which just sent me over the edge and I binged for the rest of the day. I'm back on the wagon as of today and I'm going to do my best not to indulge in anything that will throw me out of ketosis (once I get back in it). By the way, has anyone had any experience with the low carb bread from Julian Bakery?

Imo, that bread is disgusting. If I get craving bread, I eat 2 pieces of whole wheat and get it overwith. :) 24 carbs

Patina
Tue, Feb-08-11, 15:41
I've been at this almost 3 weeks without a single cheat but last night I was in a bad mood and very tired and made LC pizza for dinner. I had canadian bacon, mushrooms and black olives to put on it but at the last minute I gave in and put some pineapple chunks on it. I was thinking... "okay, not a big deal to put some pineapple on this thing"... I was wrong.

This morning I took my blood sugar reading and it was the highest it's been since I started LC! It was in the low 130's which isn't horrible but the only thing that could have raised it was the pineapple unless I'm majorly stressed and don't know it.

So even that small cheat (if you can even call it that) was not worth it and is just another reminder to stay away from anything that will raise my blood sugars.

Garrett87
Tue, Feb-08-11, 15:58
If your going to cheat like I do occasionally. Make sure you get some extra exercise in that day. A walk / jog or whatever you can do. I've noticed that my body does take a while to get back into rhythm just after eating one carb filled meal. Seems like I get that tired exhausted feeling for a week afterwards then it wears off. I'ma try and not let that happen again. Yall enjoy your day

big_loser
Tue, Feb-08-11, 17:30
my cheats usually happen when i drink a lot and get a take away. it doesnt usually cause me much problems i think because i dont store much water from it because im so dehydrated from all the alcohol the next day

but when i have whole cheat days i can gain like 5lb the next day and that will take a week to go. then the weights gone and i always think grrrr this 5lb ive lost could have been 5lb of real weight to lose

PilotGal
Tue, Feb-08-11, 17:37
have you noticed that with just a one meal cheat that it takes a week to get back to where you were?i have always said that the Atkins Diet is unforgiving!
you cannot stray without consequences.

newme2010
Tue, Feb-08-11, 18:03
i can't say cheat but can say carb upped and way to much sodium. i eat out and it takes me sometimes up to two weeks to lose it again even getting right back on track. and no it's not worth it sometimes i just have no choice when i am on a business meeting run.

WereBear
Tue, Feb-08-11, 18:15
I don't know why anyone calls them "cheats." That implies the cheater is getting away with something.

But whether the indiscretion leads to a week of feeling lousy, puts you into a stall, or triggers a binge... no one gets away with it entirely... and NO ONE gets away with it over and over.

The best thing I've done to avoid such issues is seek out a low carb alternative for anything I've ever craved. From French fries (made with turnips) to smoothie milkshakes, from low carb cookies and cake to a new recipe I just turned up for low carb cheese croissants, it's out there.

And, this is a bonus, it actually tastes better, treats my body better, and makes me feel better, after; than the "real thing."

So there really isn't anything left but excuses.

GOAL210
Tue, Feb-08-11, 20:35
It's a learning thing. I have eaten "carby" type foods to see what will happen and how it effects the process. I know now first hand what it does and how to avoid them. You also know, by your post, so follow your instincts!
BTW, your progress shows you have lost 19 lbs. Do you know how many people would kill for that weight loss or knowledge? Keep it up!

Tapestry
Tue, Feb-08-11, 20:58
2-3 days for me to get back on track.

That said, my wandering away from the basics (nuts, peanut butter and red wine) are what cause me to come to a screeching halt.

If I play, I pay.

Glendora
Tue, Feb-08-11, 21:13
i have always said that the Atkins Diet is unforgiving!
you cannot stray without consequences.

I don't know that I look at it this way. Rather, I look at the bare, raw reality: When I'm *not* LCing, I'm already so permabloated and so sick and so tired and so depressed and so foggy and with such bad BG readings and high cholesterol that "pigging out" a bit more one day can't possibly make those things worse than they already are, at least not overnight.

When I'm high-carbing...I don't gain three or four pounds after a binge. The gain, and the bloating and the general body sickness and the pre-diabetic blood tests that make my doctor want me to go on drugs and the scary-high triglycerides that make my doctor want me to go on drugs are already there. How much worse could they all get over a period of maybe 8 hours, than that? As for the weight, while high-carbing, this will only go up gradually (and very, very, very consistently) from here, from now until forever...rather than a 3-lb. "overnight" "Oh no!" gain.

So, erm, yeah. Atkins is unforgiving that way... :lol: On Atkins or other LCing, you're so healthy 99% of the time that being sick in the middle of it following a binge REALLY stands out, whereas the other way, for many of us, we're so constantly sick and water-retentive that who's to notice a little more between midnight and 7AM???

That's been my experience, anyway. YMMV.

CindyMarie
Tue, Feb-08-11, 22:43
What do you do for a TOM cheat?
or should i say TOM uncontrollable attack?

i had 9 pieces of chocolate yesterday and ate a burger w/ bun and fries. today i allowed just a wee bit and had some chocolate and a few nuts... that was it and didnt even finish my lunch.

im in week 4 but back on track now thankfully.

Does the TOM get better? i have endometriosis and i REALLY want the LC diet to improve my health. i am sick and tired of the pain and the low energy.

great thread by the way

Elizellen
Wed, Feb-09-11, 10:47
Many people do experience an improvement in their ToM symptoms after a few months of lowcarbing. Here's hoping you do too!! :thup:

Glendora
Wed, Feb-09-11, 12:49
Many people do experience an improvement in their ToM symptoms after a few months of lowcarbing. Here's hoping you do too!! :thup:

I was considerably less binge-y last cycle (my first on LC) and I'm coming up to another one (sorry for the info, folks!) and am considerably less binge-y this time, too.

I do want tons more red meat. But I always want tons more red meat at this time. It's not psychological as even months that I've been "off," I had the meat cravings before I got my little surprise.

Okay. Carry on. :D

1fatass
Wed, Feb-09-11, 13:45
What do you do for a TOM cheat?
or should i say TOM uncontrollable attack?

For TOM, I just try to spend alot of time out in the barn or away from my wife to give her the space. :lol:

charlene1
Fri, Feb-11-11, 12:39
I keep Cool Whip in the fridge at all times. It's my defense against the dark arts. When I feel a true "sweet" craving coming on and it feels out of control, I eat about 2T of it (4 carbs) and it's killed instantly. Maybe it's the creaminess, the texture, whatever, but it works. It makes me feel like I'm overindulging, but I stay in ketosis all day. The Dreamfields pasta is really good, too. I cut the portion in half, though because I'm really sensitive to the carbage. So, if I half(halve?) it and mix it with veggies and, say, grilled chicken, it's awesome. I've also found that not letting myself get really hungry is key, no matter what day of the month it is. I have focused on more of the fat whenever I want something and I'm very satiated afterwards. Cake and cake-like things are my kryptonite, so I run away from them as fast as I can!

DeeCt
Fri, Feb-11-11, 18:28
It used to take a few days to bounce back from a 'Cheat'.. I haven't slipped up since I restarted... I guess since I am getting older, I am also getting wiser :) I don't like the way I feel when I eat off plan, so I am not planning on doing it anytime soon.. But I used to cheat every weekend, just one meal, and the weight fell off like mad... it never did that again since I have been out of my 20's :(