PDA

View Full Version : Sugar Free Chocolate Syrup & "stall" foods

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

CindyMarie
Sun, Jan-30-11, 21:23
I have been reading alot on the board and even in the book about steering clear of artifically sweetened stuff because it can cause a "stall"
this i am not sure i fully understand.

I feel i could have a Diet A&W w/ some pork rinds if i must have a random snack...without it making me crave junk food and i am just fine.

so my question is... is it said to avoid these just for craving sake? or can it really cause a stall and if so HOW does it stall if it really is not spiking insulin, etc.. because it is 0 Carb and 0 Sugar

i have recently tried out 2 tblspoons of whipped cream cheese & poured on some of this stuff on it and made it into a Chocolate Mousse. :yum:
that should equate to 2 Grams of Carbs - only coming from the cream cheese

this is sweetened w/ sucralose - 0 carb/0 sugar
http://www.waldenfarms.com/products/syrup_chocolate.html

of course i wouldnt eat this daily... and depending on how the cream cheese factors in to my daily cheese intake.

Am I breaking the Law or is this just something that scares peeps into it becoming a stall because it does some whacky things to my hormones?

inquiring minds wanna know about stall foods or if its not, is it realy just the body adjusting???

Cleveland
Sun, Jan-30-11, 22:43
if you don't get cravings you are probably fine. for me it increases my appetite which means I eat more. Regardless of whether it is low carb, one can consume too many calories and not lose wieght. I do believe some peoples body's respond to eating AS by releasing insulin as they did with real sugar and this appitite can be put into overdrive. When I was on induction I did not lose an ounce. It was hard at the time, but I quit the splenda, the mock pancakes etc and I started to lose-slowly but at least I was off an running. Now I use stevia for the occasional sauce or marinade. I still think stevia causes craving but it is more natural and I uses it rarely.

WereBear
Mon, Jan-31-11, 05:45
It varies by individual. Some because of cravings, some because the sweet taste triggers insulin, some because they might actually digest it, even though it's designed not to.

I've never had a problem with sweeteners, and I've gotten so sensitive a teeny amount works for me, but the special Dreamfields pasta? I digest that. Some don't.

krystalr
Mon, Jan-31-11, 07:25
As WereBear said, the sweet taste alone can be enough to trigger an insulin response as some, carbs or not.

A lot of diet sodas use Aspartame, which isn't very good for you. I personally try to stay away from artificial sweeteners...I'd rather use a natural alternative sweetener like Stevia or Xylitol (but that is just my preference).

A lot of times the sweetness triggers cravings. Other times it's fine. It really depends on the individual, and can also depend where you are in your plan. When I was starting out, I was able to drink Diet Coke or iced coffee with no problem. The further along I got, the combination of the sweeteners and the caffine really halted my losses. Once I gave the two up, I was fine and started losing again.

deirdra
Mon, Jan-31-11, 13:15
I need to avoid any fake food or additive that triggers cravings or premature hunger. Most do (for me).

AmandaDawn
Thu, Feb-03-11, 10:44
I indulge in these sweeteners. Yes, at times, they trigger the cravings of MORE sweet things. But I just remind myself about portion control and how good it felt to be seeing a downward progress on the scale. I also try to avoid having them until later inthe day because I know my hardest time of the day is from 3p on until bed. :) Right now, I am only on week 3 of this new WOL. So I have already "Given up" so many foods I love that I allow for these little indulgences. But I am aware that to be really successful, somewhere down this road, I will have to probably reaccess my sweetener intake. *shrug* And there's my two cents. :)

mike_d
Thu, Feb-03-11, 17:42
Splenda can make you sick:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090612191132AApITP6

Sucralose is poison. It ruined five years of my life. I had a laundry list of medical problems while taking it. I went to several doctors. I had a dozen different tests. I was told that I had a number of different problems. I was on different medication for many years.Yes, same here IBS and constipation just from using Da Vinci Syrups in my coffee. I stopped using it several years ago, but I haven't fully recovered yet.