PDA

View Full Version : Wow

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Cherielabo
Sat, Jan-29-11, 07:05
So I've been low carbing for the past 2 weeks. Truthfully while I am pretty fat I have been on so many diets in my life (starting at the age of 8 or 9.. and I'm 37 now!) I have basically given up on diets.

Mentioned on here a few weeks ago that I had read 'Good Calories Bad Calories" and, when I read the description of some people having insulin regulation issues with carbs, thus leading to problems getting all the nutrients out of food, increased hunger and weight gain (and this cycle continuing until the person likely develops diabetes type 2), I thought "hmmmm that sounds like me." (And although I don't have it, diabetes type 2 is very prevalent in my family.) So I decided to experiment with low carb eating and see if that made a difference in my hunger and regular cravings for carby starchy foods like potato chips.

First thing I noticed was an amazing drop in my appetite - that was probably less than 24 hours in to lowering my carb intake. And with that drop was a huge drop in my cravings for starchy carby foods. I was so amazed I decided to read Atkins NDR to learn about induction, which I have now been following (not 100% but keeping to the high fat/protein very low carb) for two weeks.

And in those two weeks, I have lost 14 pounds. That is.... incredible!!!?!? I don't know if I've ever lost so much weight so quickly! That's crazy! I had a few days near TOM where I was really craving sweets, but I 'stuck it out,' mainly because I have been enjoying not being hungry all the time so much I was afraid if I ate anything that was too sugary it would start the cycle up all over again. And in general, while I still love my food, my appetite has gone way down.

I don't know where this will lead but I definitely am feeling 'low carb living' is the way for me. It's not always easy but I still can't believe I've lost 14 pounds by eating smoked salmon and eggs (which I love) nearly every morning. WOW!!

So um, yeah... hi. Just wanted to share (because although my boyfriend very much supports me, he thinks low carb talk is boring. Fair enough as the guy is a skinny dude who has never had any concern about his weight or carb craving! )

Patina
Sat, Jan-29-11, 07:14
Isn't it just amazing how quickly you notice things like less appetite, cravings gone, more energy, etc.??

Like you, I decided just over a week ago to give low carb a shot and I lost 6lbs and felt like a different person (for the better!) after just a couple days!

It's not that this is the easiest thing I've ever done but it certainly isn't toughest either and what I've been doing all these years up until now wasn't working so I'm willing to stick with this and see where it takes me. Besides I'm feeling so good it's hard to not want to stick with it!

Thanks for sharing!

bkloots
Sat, Jan-29-11, 07:16
Wow, indeed! Congratulations, Cherielabo. You've just embarked on the best journey of your life--a life that is likely to be longer and healthier as a result.

Taubes' big book is impressive, isn't it? That was a good place to start.

What eating plan or program are you using? For many of us, having a "fixed" plan as a guideline is very helpful until the low-carb lifestyle gets grooved.

Best wishes.

Cherielabo
Sat, Jan-29-11, 08:20
Hi guys -

Yes, I like Taubes' big book. I am an academic so it appeals to my very strong book nerd side - I like how it lays out all the research for you. He's making a point of course, but it's a point very well made. I also bought "Why People Get Fat" but I'm only halfway through it. But that's good as well!

I am mostly following Atkins as a guide, and at the moment sticking fairly closely to induction. Though not 100% - have gone out with my BF and with friends these past few Fridays and had a little bit of rice once and bread once but even then I really limited it and that was it. Also doing a lot of label reading and looking for things where most of the calories come from fat, then protein and minimal carbs. Oh, and avoiding 'frankenfood' low carb products. Not for me I think.