PDA

View Full Version : Seriously wanting to munch

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

RaceGirl28
Fri, Jan-28-11, 14:33
I know I want to stress eat.

What do you reach for??? I'm only on Atkins ladder rung #1 of the ladder....

Glendora
Fri, Jan-28-11, 14:55
Slices of boiled egg? Pepperoni chips?

Aynot
Fri, Jan-28-11, 14:59
I've always been a salt craver...the best thing that I've found for that (for me) are "cheese crisps". There are about a gazillion different recipes on here for making that kind of thing, but I've always just put parchment paper in the microwave and make either little piles of shredded cheese, or break up sliced cheese into little pieces and nuke em til their crunchy. :yum:

I had a sweet munchy attack today and was wanting something cheesecakey tasting. I used an ounce of cream cheese, 1T sour cream, 1 1/2T whipping cream & sweetener to taste ( I used Davinci SF syrup - toasted marshmallow).

I ended up with 4.5gm's of carbs in the cheesecakey stuff, which may be a little too much for induction, but there are a ton of ways to tweak the combination of ingredients. I read one today that was just 1T cream cheese, a splash of vanilla & a splenda packet. (I can't remember who's recipe that was).

I'm sure you'll get a ton of ideas from everyone here. :)

Pepperoni chips?

:yum: Love Love Love the pepperoni chips!! I forgot about those. :lol:

RaceGirl28
Fri, Jan-28-11, 15:01
I"m a sweet-a-holic.

I am momentarily past the need to eat. I need to just not reach for food when I'm stressed, that would probably be the better answer.

Glendora
Fri, Jan-28-11, 15:12
I"m a sweet-a-holic.

I am momentarily past the need to eat. I need to just not reach for food when I'm stressed, that would probably be the better answer.

SF Jell-O. Or a Mock Danish.

Yes, you (like most people -- me too, me too -- Glendora raises hand) need to work on the emotional eating reaction. BUT I can tell you that a huge amount of my "emotional" eating went away at some point toward the end of Induction, and I am talking a history of some SERIOUS binge-eating here. Many times (so ashamed to admit this) I'd have to lie on my side between gorgeings to "open a pocket" or space in my stomach enough to let the next round of food in.

I think a lot of "emotional eating" is because we already feel like we're denying ourselves, so "just one more thing" (like something going wrong with our day) is the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Once you're well into it it's likely you'll be like most people and your appetite in general will go down, plus you'll start feeling very, very, very satisfied, and it's possible that then your "emotional eating" problem may miraculously begin to turn around. :D

I'm not being smug or anything. I recently learned my son, who is autistic and very difficult to feed, needs some dental work and they want to do general anesthesia for it, and it will cost $650 and that's WITH insurance...and damn, I wanted to gorge. It has happened, maybe once, since I started LCing this go-round. But just that one time. Typically in the past, I have held on by a thread not bingeing for maybe 2-3 days at a time; then the binge; then the restricting...etc.

LCing isn't like that so you don't get that same cycle.

I can't speak for everybody. I just know this is how it's been so far for me and I have heard a lot of other people describe something similar.

One other thing: at the beginning of induction, I was STARVING. I let myself indulge...in induction-only foods, but indulgence none the less. If I wanted an ounce of cheese at 12:00 at night then by God I had it. I hung on figuring soon the appetite suppression would kick in. It did. If you're hungry on Induction...I say, EAT! Much munch to get through these next few days an once you're burning fat, chances are you'll feel MUCH better!

mlk18
Fri, Jan-28-11, 15:42
Pork Rinds! Pork rinds are a delicious little treat created by (insert your higher power here) for the pleasure of low carb eaters. And for the record if you tried to make me eat a pork rind before this WOE, I would have said NO THANKS. But now they are the staple food on my snack food list. Hot & Spicy pork rinds for the salty desires and butter/cinnamon/splenda for the sweet cravings. It's your one stop snacking super food!

fire_dancr
Fri, Jan-28-11, 16:48
Pork Rinds! Pork rinds are a delicious little treat created by (insert your higher power here) for the pleasure of low carb eaters. And for the record if you tried to make me eat a pork rind before this WOE, I would have said NO THANKS. But now they are the staple food on my snack food list. Hot & Spicy pork rinds for the salty desires and butter/cinnamon/splenda for the sweet cravings. It's your one stop snacking super food!

Beat me to it! what he said :lol:

Robin120
Sat, Jan-29-11, 07:04
"if hunger isn't the problem....."

However, my favorite induction snacks are:

1. celery with spinach, ranch or bluecheese dip
2. cheese
3. steamed eggs
4. sf jello
5. olives and pickles or pickled vegetables

Marieshops
Sat, Jan-29-11, 07:12
If it is stress eatting and you aren't really hungry - grab a bottle of water and take a long walk, clean the house, wash and vac the car, go mall walking. The exercise will help relieve the stress and when you are finished it will be meal time anyway! If you are hungry, but craving the wrong foods or huge amounts - I go for unlimited fresh baby spinach with ranch dressing to dip and a red meat anything from steak to hamburger. Everyone is different, but what has helped me the most with this woe/wol is to listen to my body and eat only when hungry and only as much as my body needs. When food is only fuel for us and not a reward or pacifier, we become free. It is tough I know. Growing up we ate to celebrate, we ate when sad, the answer to anything and everything seemed to be food. No wonder I was sooo messed up! Good luck and hang in there. You can do it!

WereBear
Sat, Jan-29-11, 08:21
I think a lot of "emotional eating" is because we already feel like we're denying ourselves, so "just one more thing" (like something going wrong with our day) is the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Words of wisdom!

When we feel lousy, it makes sense to our brain to reach for something that WILL WORK; right away. When Feeling Good is just a convenience store, drive through, or cupboard door away; the brain says GO THERE FEEL GOOD.

I'm convinced low carbing "turns off" this switch because it breaks the cycle. A lot of people munch on legal food; and get over it that way. Find something, preferably high fat & protein, to munch on; that will trip your hunger switch and shuts it down.

Carbs just mash down the hunger accelerator, ever noticed that?

Shaerona
Sat, Jan-29-11, 08:50
Words of wisdom!

When we feel lousy, it makes sense to our brain to reach for something that WILL WORK; right away. When Feeling Good is just a convenience store, drive through, or cupboard door away; the brain says GO THERE FEEL GOOD.

I'm convinced low carbing "turns off" this switch because it breaks the cycle. A lot of people munch on legal food; and get over it that way. Find something, preferably high fat & protein, to munch on; that will trip your hunger switch and shuts it down.

Carbs just mash down the hunger accelerator, ever noticed that?

OMG I couldn't agree more. I have had a couple of VERY stressful days...days that in the past before LC i would have definitely been medicating with food and all of it carbs. over the past couple of days, lo and behold! i have actually LOST my appetite when stressed...compared to the crazy bingeing and stuffing myself to deal with stress/sadness/anger i have done in the past this is nothing short of a miracle. i'm amazed!