PDA

View Full Version : My son is trying LC.

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

primerib
Thu, Jan-27-11, 12:51
We live in Ohio, and he lives in CA for his job. He has been doing LC for 3 weeks and losing great and feeling good---having 'level' energy.

Then it was his birthday. People where he works brought in pizza and some desserts to celebrate. He felt obligated to eat a bit since they were so nice.

He felt horrible from the carbs. Sick, I mean. His energy was all over the map again, and he felt lousy. Sigh. We were commiserating about these situations the other night on the phone.

The world really eats a lot of carbs. :help: It's dangerous out there. ;)

sondacop
Thu, Jan-27-11, 17:18
A great learning experience! Now he knows. And yes it is dangerous out there. Especially the emotional cake pushers "Oh, but I made it for X, you must try it, I'll be offended! A little won't hurt. You lost all that weight, you deserve it." Right! I just tell them that they wouldn't be offended if a vegetarian wouldn't eat their meat so they shouldn't be offended if I don't eat their cake.

black57
Thu, Jan-27-11, 18:30
Next time tell him not to enhale :p He was right, there is an obligation we owe people who are being thoughtful. What he should have done was scrape the toppings off the pizza toss the crust. I wonder what desserts were served?

black57
Thu, Jan-27-11, 18:30
Next time tell him not to inhale :p

He was right, though, there is an obligation we owe people who are being thoughtful. What he could have done was scrape the toppings off the pizza toss the crust. I wonder what desserts were served? Oh another thing. I am from Ohio :wave: GO BUCKS!!!

primerib
Fri, Jan-28-11, 11:12
Hi, black57! Go Bucks!

But I have to admit, we are FIRST go Irish. Yeah, ND. Sorry, our kids went there. But I have a niece at OSU, and we've always been go Bucks (second on our list). Unless they play each other, as in that bowl game a couple of years ago..... ;) LOL!

Yeah, I'm sure DS ate a little too much. It is so hard to say no to nice people, and I confess I taught him to be gracious to kind folks, and not rude. Poor kid.

mlk18
Fri, Jan-28-11, 13:28
It's always a toss up. Tell people you are on a LC diet and deal with that (and you know what that is) or keep them in the dark and deal with a surprise pizza party. Being the sarcastic and witty person I usually come up with something the spot that shuts the situation down right away. Like "I'm sorry its against my religion to eat cake" or "I have restless leg syndrome and cake sets it off". As for the pizza I would have done what black57 said and just ate some of the toppings.

Nancy LC
Fri, Jan-28-11, 14:05
http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/2011/01/what-do-salmonella-e-coli-and-bread.html

Here's yet another odd wheat phenomenon: About 30% of people who eliminate wheat from their lives experience an acute food poisoning-like effect on re-exposure. You've been wheat-free for, say, 6 months. You've lost 25 lbs from your wheat belly, you've regained energy, joints feel better. You go to an office party where they're serving some really yummy looking bruschetta. Surely a couple won't hurt! Within a hour, you're getting that awful rumbling and unease that precede the explosion.

The majority of people who experience a wheat re-exposure syndrome will have diarrhea and cramps that can last from hours to days, similar to food poisoning. (Why? Why would a common food trigger a food poisoning-like effect? It happens too fast to attribute to inflammation.) Others experience asthma attacks, joint pains that last 48 hours to a week, mental fogginess, emotional distress, even rage (in males).

Beez in BR
Fri, Jan-28-11, 14:15
I was helping a friend get her house ready to put on the market. We'd been working all day when her parents came over with pizza for everyone. I said thank you and I had one piece that I picked the topping off to eat. I sat and talked with them while eating my toppings and commented on how good they were. I felt like it went over well. No harm done.

Now, if cake had been brought I just wouldn't have been able to eat it and hoped it wouldn't hurt their feelings after I explained why. I'm glad it was only pizza and I could deal.

I work from my home, so I'm lucky that I don't have to deal with workplace food.

Glendora
Fri, Jan-28-11, 14:25
http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/2011/01/what-do-salmonella-e-coli-and-bread.html

I've heard about this before and my unprofessional theory is that many of us who have gluten issues do walk around in that fog, 24/7, and don't even realize it until we stop eating gluten (wheat or other kinds of gluten-containing foods). (I mean everybody walks around talking about being constantly tired or having aches and pains or inflammation, etc...ever notice that?)

We feel better all of a sudden, some of us for the first time in our lives, but we don't remember just how bad we felt before until we get wheat again. By comparison to our new found health, it's devastating to be "glutened".

black57
Fri, Jan-28-11, 14:30
Hi, black57! Go Bucks!

But I have to admit, we are FIRST go Irish. Yeah, ND. Sorry, our kids went there. But I have a niece at OSU, and we've always been go Bucks (second on our list). Unless they play each other, as in that bowl game a couple of years ago..... ;) LOL!

Yeah, I'm sure DS ate a little too much. It is so hard to say no to nice people, and I confess I taught him to be gracious to kind folks, and not rude. Poor kid.

You did good Mom we should always manage to eat at least some of what well-meaning people bring for us, is my opinion. I manage to eat low carb even when I am stuck with a bunch of people wanting to treat me to sumthin' sinfully good. Someone gave me a sucker, out of kindness, the other day. I said thank-you and put it in my purse. I eventually "filed" it without remorse. It gets better and easier with time especially when people realize that you can't/won't eat eclairs or chocolate cake or "healthy" ;) things like oatmeal muffins. Also, if I am the "well-meaning" giver a meat and cheese tray and/or veggie tray is accepted by everyone and they will hopefully conclude that "Oh, that's what he/she prefers to snack on. Then the next surprise will be a little easier to "swallow", hopefully.

I am from NE Ohio where are you? I'm betting the Sandusky side. :wave:

anniede
Fri, Jan-28-11, 16:41
Been there. I tell people, "It all looks delicious but no thank you." and then I explain my "wheat allergy". People seem to get "allergy" better than "intolerance" and are more willing to accept it and not be insulted. Maybe a little "white lie" like that would work for your son too.

Anne

Grubber
Fri, Jan-28-11, 22:03
Well I'm sorry to hear he felt bad, but it is pretty funny. I would prescribe a nap, that's usually what carbs make you want to do.

primerib
Sat, Jan-29-11, 09:41
anniede--yes, I use the little white lie trick from time to time. :o I should suggest it to him.

black57--a little further west than Sandusky. But we have been to Cedar Point dozens of times, of course. My sons liked CP better than Disney World.

black57
Sat, Jan-29-11, 23:14
anniede--yes, I use the little white lie trick from time to time. :o I should suggest it to him.

black57--a little further west than Sandusky. But we have been to Cedar Point dozens of times, of course. My sons liked CP better than Disney World.
Of course we live near Disneyland but not much farther from us is an amusement park called Knott's Berry Farm...it is owned by Cedar Point. We Ohioans are proud.

black57
Sat, Jan-29-11, 23:20
Here is an example of showing my appreciation via high carb foods. I have a flute student whose school band put on a dinner concert and I was invited to come out for a nice performance. I ate before leaving home so that I wouldn't want anything to eat. Well the family was kind enough to buy my dinner. So I had salad with a small amount of pasta with as much meat that they could stand to give me. Actually the meat balls were about the size of boogers ;)
In the meantime, my blood glucose remained normal and I did not gain any weight.

primerib
Sun, Jan-30-11, 12:02
I've noticed that fetuccini has a much lower glycemic index than most other pastas. If we find ourselves hankering for linguine and clams (an old staple dinner for us), we have fetuccini and clams. Small amt. of pasta. DH's BS doesn't go up.