PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from London

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Tue, Jan-25-11, 14:27
I have been low carbing to a lesser or greater degree for about ten years now after I first read the Atkins book. At the time I was just entering my forties, struggling with the whole 'healthy diet' and low fat lifestyle, trying to understand just why, despite my efforts, I was just feeling older and more tired despite my best efforts. I have always cooked fresh meals for my family, so even blaming junk and snacks was not an option. I tried WW, and for a time went with a friend to a local Rosemary Conley club, but the constant noise in my head revolving around portions and points and strange pretend foods, or frankenfoods if you like, just made me cranky and miserable. I was sitting next to women who had been attending (and paying their subs ) for years, yet where still not at a happy weight. I can still remember the feeling of standing in the kitchen,preparing my 'allowed ' meal, and already thinking ,"what can i eat next, what can I snack on after this ?"

The Atkins book was a revelation. It was completely different to all the advice I had been given for years. I learned very quickly though, that I could not share my enthusiasm as it was roundly condemned or misrepresented in the media. But It worked, and that set me off down the trail of finding out just why this was the case. What was it doing to my body ?

I've read just about every book related to low carb, and the mechanisms within the body, and I am grateful for Gary Taubes for setting out clearly in an unbiased way, the science behind why it works, and just why it is treated with such outright derision by many so -called experts

I should come clean and admit to a fib. When I registered for this forum, I had to put in weights, but I haven't weighed myself for years now, so put in the last ones I can remember, forgive me moderators, but I really wanted to join this forum

My work is very physical. Before I started low carb, I would come home feeling like I had been in a fight ! Just Getting out of the car after the drive home was a painful procedure .After a sleep, I would wake up with every joint in my body aching and stiff . I had such little energy and would literally drag myself about

Low carbing has meant and end to that, and the monthly painful bloating. Food is something I eat and enjoy when I am hungry, no more constant chatter causing me to snack and eat huge meals, still feeling unsatisfied.

When I eat carbs now, it is usually part of a celebration meal, I wont pass up a piece of someones Birthday cake, or enjoy a meal out, but I don't crave those things everyday, and I am usually able to choose the foods I enjoy and a reasonable portion of carby treat.

If you got this far, thanks for your patience. I hope that I can contribute to threads in the future as I am passionate about GOOD food, and I am actually angry at the dietary information being given out, that is making so many people unhealthy and miserable

Thank You

Wildeone
Tue, Jan-25-11, 14:42
Hi there i'm also from England, and very new to Low Carbing so from my point of view you're most welcome - the more wisdom on these boards (and there's lots) the better for me :D

VictoryBel
Tue, Jan-25-11, 16:14
Hi, I am from Leeds(ish) and it's nice to see familiar spellings!

Hope your journey is a good one. ;-)