PDA

View Full Version : Feeling Positive in PHX

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

JellyJill
Mon, Jan-24-11, 21:11
I’m at that point again. My pictures don’t leave my camera destined for Facebook. I’m wearing hoddies in Phoenix just to avoid seeing my muffin top. I’m joking with my friends about how, at this point, one more slice won’t matter.

Hi, I'm JellyJill and I weigh 149 lbs. and am 5 ft 4in. I just happen to have one of those bodies that loves to put the chub in the wrong places. And more than anything, it just doesn’t make me feel good about myself. In fact I’m a little depressed about it. But fortunately, I know that I can do something about it and knowing this gives me so much hope ;)

I’m going strong on low carbing once more. I know it works for me. Last year (January of 2010) I ran into a friend who had lost enormous amounts of weight by low carbing. She convinced me and my then roommate to give it a shot, at least for two weeks and see if we didn’t continue on it. We did, with the goal of being that by my university graduation I would be one hot mama pajama.
The first week was so difficult for me. I got the “Atkins Flu” for about two days straight and it was pretty miserable. One morning I had to sit down in the shower just to see straight. That’s when it really hit me. I was really addicted to sugar. How in the world could my body be going this crazy just from not eating pop tarts and sipping lattes?

I hit it hard with huge determination driven by my lack of boyfriend and low energy levels. After a few weeks I started in on work out classes concentrating on muscle toning. For the first time, I was on a diet that worked for me. I wasn’t starving myself! I looked forward to jumping on the scale each Monday morning to see what progress I had made. I magically started eating smaller portions and feeling fuller sooner. Eating stopped being a social pastime and began being something I could enjoy preparing for. My roommate and I would alternate cooking meals, almost competing to see whose was more delicious and intricate with less carbs. Our families were even in full support and all the compliments were a major plus!

I soon started a month long plateau, but to be completely honest, it didn’t bother me so much, I knew I was looking fabulous. By the day of my university graduation I had lost 20 lbs, my goal! Of course I would not let myself be fooled, I knew full well that this was now about maintenance. I kept it up very well….at least….until…..I found my boyfriend.

Now don’t get me wrong, he’s great and has always been in support of my (what some may consider strange) eating habits. He even turned out to be a great low carb cook :D One thing he was not in support of however, was my smoking habit. After four years of smoking (in the beginning just socially, but eventually often) I always knew I wanted to quit, but just never had the right motivations, in fact I attempted unsuccessfully, at least 10 times. I even began sneaking cigarettes. It was ridiculous and I was just completely consumed with the most disgusting amount of guilt. I had had enough. I’m with the man I know is going to propose to me eventually and I couldn’t bare this burden any long. I was fed up and I quit.

Now quitting smoking has been the greatest success, but it threw me for a loop. I stopped even attempting to low carb and I eat for every reason. Stress eating, board eating, social eating, eating, eating, eating. Exercise hasn’t crept back into my vocabulary since.

Now I’m not saying that I don’t screw up every now and then. I still have friends that smoke and temptation has overcome me every now and then (although this is no excuse). But substituting eating is not okay.

So here I am, back at square one. I know this time will be harder, because I can’t fall back on my reliable friend Nicotine. I’m no longer living with my ever supportive roommate. I’m on my own here. But I feel positive today. I know I won’t every day, but I’m thriving on it now so I’m gunna go for it.

ImOnMyWay
Mon, Jan-24-11, 23:22
You're not alone. Nicotine is one of the hardest habits to quit - right up there with HEROINE. Seriously. I know what you're going through. You should give yourself a big high five for every day you are nicotine-free. It really is a MAJOR accomplishment. Well done. Good for YOU!

It's great that you have such a supportive guy in your life. And he knows how to cook low-carb! And he loves you as you are, right NOW. How great is that?!

Good for you on taking charge of your health and going back to low carb. Remember that your own self-respect is paramount.

There is a woman on this forum whose motto is "Progress, not perfection." (-cnmLisa) A good motto to live by.

So - you've done it once. You can do it again. Keep it up and keep the faith. We're all here for you.