PDA

View Full Version : hello!!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Blue Ruby
Sun, Jan-23-11, 14:31
Hello. I'm back to low carbing (Atkins) and this forum (altho the first time on the forum I only lurked, sorry :blush: ). This time i am ready to say hello. :wave:

In 2007 I lost the 'worst' 25 lbs by doing Induction followed by cheating, followed by induction, followed by cheating. I have managed to keep 20 lbs of that off by my own relatively low carb way of eating, yo-yoing around a bit but mostly there, with periods of induction after holidays. (I just couldn't stand counting carbs, being that regimented and organized and focused on what i put in my mouth.)

But now i am ready to try the full diet and way of life seriously. Especially the OWL phase where i really need to know what my CCLL is (i *have* re-read the book!). This motivation comes out of having flare ups of arthritis this year and recognizing a link between gluten and inflammation for me personally. Cutting out wheat was the major part of the investigation over the fall (and was interested to discover some links between the refined wheat and sugar intake and mood/energy as well). I think i can carb-count now that I have some guidance and motivation around why i can't eat wheat. With OWL there is also a structure to observe the impact of other healthy grains.

I started Induction a week ago and have lost 5 lbs!

Lastly -- I just want to so thank you to everyone here -- you are all so supportive of each other. Your wise, funny, sad, desperate and optimistic words are so encouraging to each other and the 'lurkers' who come to the forum in the middle of the night, trying to hang on to their good intentions figure out how to stick to what they know is healthy for them. I’m going to try to be part of offering support this time around...
:clap: to all of you!

Judynyc
Sun, Jan-23-11, 14:54
Welcome! :wave:

If you have trouble with wheat, other grains( rye, barley, oats from cross contamination) that also contain gluten won't be good for you either. Brown Rice and corn are grains that don't have gluten though for when you do get to OWL phase.

I wish you much success!! :thup:

Blue Ruby
Sun, Jan-23-11, 15:14
thanks! I have been looking at gluten content and will investigate more thoroughly as i get closer to putting those kinds of carbs back into my diet.

have a great sunday.

Elizellen
Mon, Jan-24-11, 13:19
Hi Ruby :wave:

It looks as if you are off to a good start! :cheer:

I am glad you have decided to join in the fun and post as you recommence your Atkins journey. :thup:

kimq
Mon, Jan-24-11, 14:27
Blue Ruby your on again off again, lurking past sounds very similar to my own! HA....
Congrats on restarting. I always say if someone can only bottle the secret to Staying on track and staying focused....for me that is the biggest downfall is my own inability to stick with it to the OWL phase, I am sure these forums can certainly help everyone seems to encouraging!

Good Luck to you! :)

Mama Sebo
Mon, Jan-24-11, 14:33
HI Ruby, great that you have already identified the problems that the carbs give you, its a good motivator for getting rid of them and keeping them gone! I 've noticed I'm feeling much better too, now that I'm really doing only the most minimal of carbs, when I wake up in the morning I can bounce out of bed, I can walk down the stairs without shuffling, other joints too, are much less susceptible to aches and pains. I had no idea that this might be a sideline of losing weight this way!

Well, welcome, stop by my journal any time, all the best for the journey ahead. :rheart:

Blue Ruby
Tue, Jan-25-11, 08:29
thank you both for your encouraging words. I think this new journey will be mush easier and more enjoyable by meeting new people on a similar track.

Mama sebo -- "bounce out of bed" -- that sounds great! Maybe i'll get there too, it certainly feels possible.

Congratualtions to both on the changes in your life.