PDA

View Full Version : Starting again

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

GOAL210
Thu, Jan-20-11, 21:25
I used the low carb approach 2-3 times with a lot of success. The difference this time is that I have cut down a lot of the fat I used in the first attempts. I always had it in the back of my mind that even though was was losing weight, I was doing more harm than good on my heart. This time around it has been about 4 months. I have cut out almost all carbs and sugar and look for lean cuts of meat. I also eat a lot of tuna and fish and cook only with olive oil. I have included a lot of green vegetables this time around with cauliflower used for everything including a tasty crunchy snack. I am also older this time around and hopefully a little wiser. :p I don't regret the last attempts or see them as failures, but as great learning experiences. The scales don't lie. I have tried just to see what happens, this - I get on a good steady losing streak and then try a food that would be considered high in carbs. Without fail, the losing stops and I even gain a pound or two. I hope to learn a lot from this site and others here to continue on with this. I was around 265-270 and after 4 months , I am down to 230. I am actually eating more and it has been pretty painless. I am just eating different. I haven't started any amount of exercise again, but that will be happening soon. I feel so much better and can't wait for 210.Sorry for being so long winded, but that is about it !

Chris_D
Fri, Jan-21-11, 12:52
Welcome! :wave:

Congrats on your progress!

Best wishes on your journey!

GOAL210
Fri, Jan-21-11, 19:51
Thanks. I have already seen a lot of interesting and helpful things here.
Welcome! :wave:

Congrats on your progress!

Best wishes on your journey!

Elizellen
Sat, Jan-22-11, 05:56
Hi, welcome to the board :wave: I get on a good steady losing streak and then try a food that would be considered high in carbs. Without fail, the losing stops and I even gain a pound or two.
Maybe this time around you can try the approach to adding more carbs suggested by Dr Atkins in DANDR - adding only 5 net grams of foods, starting with the lower GI ones as listed for the first level (rung) of his carbohydrate ladder and if all goes well slowly moving up through the rungs.

This would have less of an impact on your losing than just randomly adding a hefty portion of a high carb food and is a more structured way of finding how many carbs you can eat while losing in addition to revealing any particular foods that affect your body adversely.

BLaZeDRas
Sat, Jan-22-11, 06:26
I used the low carb approach 2-3 times with a lot of success. The difference this time is that I have cut down a lot of the fat I used in the first attempts. I always had it in the back of my mind that even though was was losing weight, I was doing more harm than good on my heart. This time around it has been about 4 months. I have cut out almost all carbs and sugar and look for lean cuts of meat. I also eat a lot of tuna and fish and cook only with olive oil. I have included a lot of green vegetables this time around with cauliflower used for everything including a tasty crunchy snack. I am also older this time around and hopefully a little wiser. :p I don't regret the last attempts or see them as failures, but as great learning experiences. The scales don't lie. I have tried just to see what happens, this - I get on a good steady losing streak and then try a food that would be considered high in carbs. Without fail, the losing stops and I even gain a pound or two. I hope to learn a lot from this site and others here to continue on with this. I was around 265-270 and after 4 months , I am down to 230. I am actually eating more and it has been pretty painless. I am just eating different. I haven't started any amount of exercise again, but that will be happening soon. I feel so much better and can't wait for 210.Sorry for being so long winded, but that is about it !

There is very little if any conclusive evidence that a high fat diet causes heart related problems, Gary Taubes and various other sources go into this in detail (Underground wellness is a good source of info). Gary even had the same beliefs when he started eating high protein/fat/low carb himself 9 years ago because he was studying for his books and going on what he found. In an interview he says he even felt as though he was waiting for his heart to explode because of all the mainstream propaganda based on nothing around fat/saturated fat being bad for you. IIRC he talks about refined/hydrogenated fats being the bad types and not natural sources of saturated.

anyway my point for replying was mainly to do with olive oil. Olive oils proteins lose their structure at high heat and become rancid (oxidation) very quickly in our bodys. Cooking with butter or coconut oil (raw virgin) is far better as they have much higher "smoking" temperatures meaning they are stable under high heats. Again underground wellness' pod-casts/videos have some sources of info on this.

Congrats on ur losses this time around and continue what you're doing :)

GOAL210
Mon, Jan-24-11, 19:59
I don't even crave carbs anymore. I was doing it more to see what the results would be and I found out!It only gave me more belief in this system. I feel so much better eating this way. Once I get to 210 or less, I will explore the degrees of carbs you mentioned. Thanks!
Hi, welcome to the board :wave:
Maybe this time around you can try the approach to adding more carbs suggested by Dr Atkins in DANDR - adding only 5 net grams of foods, starting with the lower GI ones as listed for the first level (rung) of his carbohydrate ladder and if all goes well slowly moving up through the rungs.

This would have less of an impact on your losing than just randomly adding a hefty portion of a high carb food and is a more structured way of finding how many carbs you can eat while losing in addition to revealing any particular foods that affect your body adversely.

GOAL210
Mon, Jan-24-11, 20:02
See, I learned something else! Olive oil has always been one of those things that most people like myself, believe is better for you.Thanks!
There is very little if any conclusive evidence that a high fat diet causes heart related problems, Gary Taubes and various other sources go into this in detail (Underground wellness is a good source of info). Gary even had the same beliefs when he started eating high protein/fat/low carb himself 9 years ago because he was studying for his books and going on what he found. In an interview he says he even felt as though he was waiting for his heart to explode because of all the mainstream propaganda based on nothing around fat/saturated fat being bad for you. IIRC he talks about refined/hydrogenated fats being the bad types and not natural sources of saturated.

anyway my point for replying was mainly to do with olive oil. Olive oils proteins lose their structure at high heat and become rancid (oxidation) very quickly in our bodys. Cooking with butter or coconut oil (raw virgin) is far better as they have much higher "smoking" temperatures meaning they are stable under high heats. Again underground wellness' pod-casts/videos have some sources of info on this.

Congrats on ur losses this time around and continue what you're doing :)

BLaZeDRas
Tue, Jan-25-11, 06:11
See, I learned something else! Olive oil has always been one of those things that most people like myself, believe is better for you.Thanks!

using olive oil as a dressing on salads and/or avoiding heating it to high temperatures will keep the structure/health benefits of olive oil in tact