PDA

View Full Version : New Member Switching From Calorie Counting

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

SteveGo
Tue, Jan-18-11, 13:16
Hello All,

Keeping at a healthy weight has been a challenge as long as I remember. In the past, when I was successful, it was by counting calories (being hungry) and keeping a meticulous intake journal.

This year, I found and read Gaury Taube's "Why We Get Fat, And What To Do About It." I found the material a real eye-opener. I had always discounted Low Carb nutrition as a "fad." However, his detailed treatment of the history of nutrition research, and the lack of real science to back up the low fat nutrition approaches, got me excited about Low Carb. The book convinced me, along with other reading that I did.

I have begun what amounts to an Atkin's style induction phase, by following the Duke University Lifestyle Program outlined in Taube's book. I have lost about 6.5 pounds in the first week and a half, with much less hunger and craving than before.

I look forward to continuing the journey.

Steve

Desert_Bee
Tue, Jan-18-11, 14:05
Hi Steve,

I, too, am here after reading Why We Get Fat. I, too, have counted calories in the past (Weight Watchers) and got tired of being hungry all the time and always craving sweets.

bkloots
Tue, Jan-18-11, 17:26
I'm impressed that you came here through Taubes. He's the new low-carb guru. What he says makes a lot of sense--and is very affirming to those of us who have been pursuing this "fad" diet for a long time.

As a former Weight Watcher, low-calorie/low-fat adherent, etc. etc. I know what it means to spend a lifetime--at least, an earlier lifetime--as a weight management yo-yo. Low-carb takes the same kind of dedication, but the benefits are immeasurably better.

Best wishes.