PDA

View Full Version : First week and no success

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Melabrown
Mon, Jan-10-11, 08:45
I began my low carb lifestyle one week ago today and have been very strict
and yet I stepped on the scale with no success, Im not real upset but I am wondering what I could be doing wrong. My diet consist of eggs with either bacon or sausage and a little cheeze luch usually a burger without bun or any piece of meet I can prepare and dinner either chicken baked or grilled salmon or halibut or beef salad and blu cheez dressing, my desert, surgar free jello, w/ whipped cream and that really about it and a ton of water. So I am really not sure why the scale hasnt moved !! I do have to say I feel better already.
any help would be greatly appreciated.

newme2010
Mon, Jan-10-11, 09:02
sometimes it takes awhile and than you get a big woosh. your body may be in shock and will take time to recover and i hope that goal is not really 60lbs?
try journaling what you eat and the amounts you eat. sodium is a staller for me so i try to watch it. and veggies if following atkins you need those.

NixCarbos
Mon, Jan-10-11, 09:10
The big thing missing is wheres the veggies??

Check the sodium content on the meat you are eating. It seems there is too much processed meat in your diet at this time.

Beez in BR
Mon, Jan-10-11, 09:19
Breakfast sausages have sugar and MSG in them (at least the ones I can find pre-made.) I make mine from scratch using ground pork. If you don't have the time to do them from scratch, avoid them for now. Try to eat unprocessed meats. Start from raw and cook it in delicious ways.

Scrambled eggs with butter are wonderful for breakfast. Have 4 eggs with butter on top and see how that satisfies you.

When I first started out I was eating higher protein. I tried adding more fat to my high protein and that didn't help. Watching my protein while keeping fat high helped. Watch this video about gluconeogeneosis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2YXwgxZk48

Anyway, just throwing that out there. YMMV.

teaser
Mon, Jan-10-11, 09:19
How much whipped cream? Earlier Atkins books limit cream at the beginning of the diet. Same thing with cheese, how much is a little?

Chris_D
Mon, Jan-10-11, 09:21
Hi There! :wave:

First and foremost, if you are feeling better after only one week, BONUS!!! This way of life (translation, "lifestyle" not a DIET) has so many benefits and weight loss is only a part of it.

You did list some of your menu choices but how much of the bacon and sausage are you consuming? Sometimes these processed foods can hinder our loss. The sodium may be high too. Also be careful with the SF jello, it can sometimes "trick" our bodies into thinking we are still fueling it with 'sugary' foods.

Where's the veggies??? On induction, the majority of our carbs comes from vegetables.

My suggestion would be to try eating "clean", no processed foods, lots of water, eat until you are full not stuffed and be careful of the hidden, silent stallers.

Keep swimming!

YOU'RE WORTH THE EFFORT!!

Keep us posted!

Cheers,
~ Chris ~

erinleigh
Mon, Jan-10-11, 09:21
I would bring more fat into your diet and veggies.

Also, if you take out the SF Jello for the first two weeks that might help as well. The aspartame sometimes is an issue.

Good Luck and happy losing!

Beez in BR
Mon, Jan-10-11, 09:27
I would bring more fat into your diet and veggies.

Also, if you take out the SF Jello for the first two weeks that might help as well. The aspartame sometimes is an issue.

Good Luck and happy losing!

Agreeing.

I can't eat SF Jello, it gives me cravings the next day. So I dropped it.

cnmLisa
Mon, Jan-10-11, 09:49
First off--I would get a copy of Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution or a copy of the latest The New Dr. Atkins for a New You.

It states in your journal that you have read Atkins for Life which is geared for those in the last phases of OWL and moving into premaintenance and maintenance.

The previous posters have given you some good advice.
Might I add that you may also want to peruse this thread:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=236482

and this thread:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=405273

Progress not perfection.

Lisa

Melabrown
Mon, Jan-10-11, 10:55
Thank you all for the great advice !!!

Melabrown
Mon, Jan-10-11, 12:12
I ate the last of the jello, so I just wont buy more for now.
Yes I am eating veggies, not much , salad for almost every dinner. also I have been in ketosis until this morning, I think I blew it I ate a piece of ham for dinner last night.
And yes I want to lose 60 LBS that will put me at 180

freckles
Mon, Jan-10-11, 12:31
I ate the last of the jello, so I just wont buy more for now.
Yes I am eating veggies, not much , salad for almost every dinner. also I have been in ketosis until this morning, I think I blew it I ate a piece of ham for dinner last night.
And yes I want to lose 60 LBS that will put me at 180

You've gotten some very good advice.

I'm not sure the ham would have gotten you out of ketosis. Also, you should change the last number in your profile to 180 instead of 60 to show what you want to weigh, not how much you want to lose.

Anyway, welcome!

Melabrown
Mon, Jan-10-11, 13:14
Thank you for the advice.

jenwilgo
Thu, Jan-13-11, 19:52
:wave: I'll refrain from giving advice since everybody has nailed all of the things that I could think of but you are well on your way it seems. I have about 80 to lose and lost 48 pounds the first time that I committed to LC. Then there was quite a bit of stress and not so good things. I guess "life" happened but I'm here now because I know this works and we'll get rid of those pounds! Hang in there!!! :agree: