PDA

View Full Version : You all are crazy!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

ds76
Tue, Jan-04-11, 11:50
Hello Everyone..

My name is David, I live here in Southern California, and am extremely new to low carb diets.

By nature I'm a pretty thin guy, at least I'm supposed to be if I wasn't carrying around the extra weight from years of eating out with friends and not really taking any notice of what I put into my system. Because I'm naturally thin, I can be 50 pounds over weight and still look "trim." Mind you I just look it, not feel it... I was really starting to feel awful.

So last year I put myself on a typical, "calories in, calories out" diet plan and stuck to it pretty rigorously. I was already running a bit, so I upped that training and completed my first half marathon. I changed all of my eating habits and switched to low fat, whole grain carbs, and low calories. I even bartered with a personal trainer and started to train 3 days a week.

All of these efforts worked, and in about 8 months I'd lost 40 pounds in fat and put on about 10 pounds in muscle. Not too shabby.

So nearing the holiday season I let myself slip, telling myself that after the holiday I'd get back on the horse and start exercising and dieting again. Right about this time a friend of mine turned me on to a book called the "4-Hour Body" which stresses a slow-carb diet.

I've been working the books plan for just a little over a week. Not only have I been following the diet there, I've been digging through as much info as I can find about whether or not these diets are healthy, etc. I gotta say there's a lot of people arguing out there in the web space. Most of the info I find about slow-carb diets is pretty compelling and I'm going to give it a try and let my body convert over to burning fat for fuel rather than glucose. I suppose "intrigued" would be the best way to put how I'm feeling about it all.

However, at this moment I feel very out of it. I've read that this is normal during the transition - I hope that's really the case. Is it?

So that's me in a nutshell.. looking forward to getting my body to the look that I'm aiming for, and I'm hoping that this keto lifestyle is going to be great for me. I mean who wouldn't want a body that's burning fat rather than needing to be fed a steady supply of glucose creating foods? It's like trading in your gas guzzling junker for a top of the line electric car.

Ok, so you're not all crazy, actually. I just figured I'd get more hellos with an inflammatory headline. Did it work? :)

Nice to meet you all.

RaceGirl28
Tue, Jan-04-11, 12:40
Nice to meet you. Good luck!

I"m on day 9 of the Atkins Induction Diet and I haven't stopped training for my next half-marathon at all. I can tell you that I feel energetic until I start running and I'm still feeling a bit sluggish, like I'm running on dead, overworked legs. I'm with you in hoping that this stops as my body becomes more efficient at burning fat for fuel.

Mrs. Skip
Tue, Jan-04-11, 12:42
Welcome!!

I am not familiar with the plan you are doing, but most people experience some unpleasantness when their body switches over from burning carbs the first week. After that you should start feeling much better than you did before. Good luck!

ds76
Tue, Jan-04-11, 12:49
Nice to meet you. Good luck!

...until I start running and I'm still feeling a bit sluggish, like I'm running on dead, overworked legs. I'm with you in hoping that this stops as my body becomes more efficient at burning fat for fuel.

I'm with you. I'm getting to be a decent runner, too, and the other day I was on a tram taking us from a parking lot to the front entrance of Disneyland. One of the people in my group realized they'd left their wallet in the car so I decided to have the tram driver stop and let me out.. I was just going to run the quarter mile back.

MAN that was tough :) It was definitely more than just legs that hadn't been warmed up.

I know a lot of people have rigorous training regimes that are low-carber's so I think ::fingers crossed:: this gets better.

Chris_D
Tue, Jan-04-11, 18:29
Hi There! :wave: Welcome!

Hey, being a little crazy in this life helps, right?! :daze:

Best wishes on your journey!