PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Here

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

bewildered
Sat, Jan-01-11, 22:59
Hello all. After my recent visit to physician I was told I needed low carb, low fat and low sugar diet. This really threw me for a loop cause I have no clue what to eat. I'm not a meat eater so the things I used to eat is probably being eliminated. My cholestrol was a little high and this is from 50 years of hypothyroidism. I need advice plez.

freckles
Sat, Jan-01-11, 23:07
hhhmmm...low carb, low fat seems like two opposites to me. I can not do my low carb diet and do low fat. Could this be what the Southbeach diet is? I'm sure others will jump in with great advice.

I'm really impressed that your doc suggested low carb to you, even if the low fat part was added in. Did the doc say WHY this new diet was being suggested? Is it only due to the elevated cholesterol and hypothyroidism?

bewildered
Sat, Jan-01-11, 23:12
Yes just from the elevated cholestrol levels. I haven't been exercising as much as I used to and I know with excercise I can lower. I'm just confused on low fat and low carb...like you said...opposites. In the past they have put me on low fat diets...13 grams per day and I almost starved and fell off the wagon.

Elizellen
Sun, Jan-02-11, 07:46
Obviously your doctor hasn't read all the research that proves that the fat you eat has very little effect on the cholesterol your body makes to allow many body functions!!

Low fat low carb must mean high protein and most people seem to think high protein is bad too!!
No wonder you chose the screen name 'bewildered' :agree:

I would eat low carb high fat myself but I am biased ;)

What kind of diet plan did your doctor give you to follow? Maybe if you list the suggested meal plans we can help you fathom out which of the published plans would be the closest fit?

bewildered
Sun, Jan-02-11, 19:57
She didn't give me any diet plan.She just mentioned I needed to eat low fat, low carb and exercise. I haven't done my homework but does low carb help reduce cholestrol? Off to do some more reading.

toopoles
Sun, Jan-02-11, 20:05
Hi,

I eat low carb high fat. But I would look at Schwartzbein, there is a thread on here. Its not necessarily a weightloss plan, but a way to get healthy. I loved her books and she has a lot of stuff put together that I liked.

There are back threads here that I read and learned a lot from about how to reset my body. I didn't like the hunger I felt and caved, but I did learn a lot that helped me feel better.

My 2 centavos.

Enjoy the forums.

Elizellen
Mon, Jan-03-11, 05:07
She didn't give me any diet plan.She just mentioned I needed to eat low fat, low carb and exercise. Sounds to me as if she has fallen down on her job if she has nnot given you any rules to follow apart from the contradictory ones of low carb AND low fat!!!

I haven't done my homework but does low carb help reduce cholestrol? Off to do some more reading.Many people find their cholesterol numbers do get 'better' (according to the current thinking) after lowcarbing (not low-fatting ;) ) for several months, and exercising is supposed to help that too, so after you have read up on what is entailed in the various lowcarb plans around and have fixed on the one that most suits your tastes/lifestyle I imagine that your numbers will 'improve'.