PDA

View Full Version : Seeking guidance

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

tommccl
Sat, Dec-25-10, 11:35
Hello all and Merry Christmas,

Began dieting in April, 2010. Beginning weight 354. Started low carb-high protein diet along with 4X week trips to gym. Through October I managed to lose 49 Lbs. At that time I hit something of a plateau. Initially I gained about 10 Lbs. back, but since have lost them. However I am stuck at 305, despite continuing with the gym and watching my diet. A little background; I am 62, a dsabled veteran, and have a few minor(maybe not so minor) medical issues. My blood pressure was a bit high fo a number of years. It has been well under control, without medication, since June, 2010. Recently, (within the past year), my physician has cautioned that I am in danger of developing diabetes. This could be the result of my most recent past physical condition, or may in fact be the result of exposure to Agent Orange in the late Sixties. I have peripheral neuropathy in my lower extremities which seems to be spreading to my hands and arms. I do not consume alcohol, nor use any kind of drugs, legal or otherwise. My physical activities are limited to weight machines and stationary bike, which is fine, but I have been told that perhaps Vitamin B, B-12 and Complex B, will help reduce the pain in my feet and perhap slow down the advancing neuropathy. My life is somewhat sedentary as I am semi-retired, looking for work, and unable to spend much time on my feet.

This is certainly alot of information, but I really could use some help.

Regards,

Tom

L J
Sat, Dec-25-10, 12:12
Hi Tom, and Merry Christmas! I am new here, too, and I'm afraid I don't have much guidance to offer yet, but I have found this forum to be a treasure trove of invaluable resources.

I have spent a lot of time reading success stories, and realizing just how much so many have been able to overcome. Its so inspiring, and a little tear-jerking at times.

The Challenge/Buddies area is a great place to start, too. Find a group that feels like a good fit to you and hop right in. Its so much easier to stay motivated when you have others going through the same thing to inspire you.

Thank you for your service protecting our country; I wish you a very Merry Christmas and a New Year full of good health and positive life changes.

-Laura

Judynyc
Sat, Dec-25-10, 14:40
Hello all and Merry Christmas,

Began dieting in April, 2010. Beginning weight 354. Started low carb-high protein diet along with 4X week trips to gym. Through October I managed to lose 49 Lbs. At that time I hit something of a plateau. Initially I gained about 10 Lbs. back, but since have lost them. However I am stuck at 305, despite continuing with the gym and watching my diet. A little background; I am 62, a dsabled veteran, and have a few minor(maybe not so minor) medical issues. My blood pressure was a bit high fo a number of years. It has been well under control, without medication, since June, 2010. Recently, (within the past year), my physician has cautioned that I am in danger of developing diabetes. This could be the result of my most recent past physical condition, or may in fact be the result of exposure to Agent Orange in the late Sixties. I have peripheral neuropathy in my lower extremities which seems to be spreading to my hands and arms. I do not consume alcohol, nor use any kind of drugs, legal or otherwise. My physical activities are limited to weight machines and stationary bike, which is fine, but I have been told that perhaps Vitamin B, B-12 and Complex B, will help reduce the pain in my feet and perhap slow down the advancing neuropathy. My life is somewhat sedentary as I am semi-retired, looking for work, and unable to spend much time on my feet.

This is certainly alot of information, but I really could use some help.

Regards,

Tom
Welcome and Merry Christmas to you, Tom! :wave:

First of all, thank you for your service!! :rose:
I'm close to you in age(60) so I have vivid recall of that time period. :(

So, here you are in a bit of a stall in your weight loss efforts. You say that your plan is a modified Atkins? What does that mean to you? How did you modify it?
How long have you been stalled?
Have you begun to do the second phase yet, OWL phase?
Would you please list a few days of menus of what you've been eating, with quantities...so that we can help you better.

Technically, Atkins isn't a high protein plan but a high fat plan. Too much protein could give you an insulin spike and this may be why you are stalled, or one of the reasons anyway. FWIW, I found that I had to eat less in general at about every 40 lbs lost, to keep seeing weight loss. :idea:

Theres lots of help around here for you but we'll need more details to do that. :)

tommccl
Mon, Dec-27-10, 14:39
Thank's to those of you who responded. Some good information and encouraging words were shared.

In answer to some questions: My typical day begins with a Protein shake, usually 60g's Protein. This followed by a trip to the gym. 40 minutes weights, 20-30 mins. stationary bike. First meal is usually 3-4 eggs, with toasted whole wheat flat bread and butter. Snack of 8-16 ounces of fat free yogurt. Lunch of 8 Oz.'s tuna, mayo., atop a salad of romaine. Afternoon snack 8-16 Oz.'s fat free yogurt. Evening meal of 10-12 Oz.'s chicken, pork, beef or fish along with a green veg. Throughout the day I usually drink 100-120 Oz.'s of water, 20-40 Oz.'s black coffee and an occassional diet, caffein free soda. Recently, with the holidays, I have fallen victim to the lure of peanuts, cashews and almonds.

Previously I had mentioned that I was on a modified Atkins diet. I mis-spoke as it turns out. Suffice it to say that I am on a high protein - low carb diet. Really missed the whole thing about high fat, as most of the protein consumed is lean in nature.

Any advice would be welcome. Perhaps it would be best to pick a specific, known regimen and adhere to it.

Regards,

Tom

faduckeggs
Mon, Dec-27-10, 15:27
Tom,

A couple of questions:

Why is it that you are using fat-free yogurt and lean meats?
What is in your protein shake? (Do you make it at home, or do you drink a pre-made shake? If pre-made, what kind and what is the carb count on it?)
How much whole wheat flat bread do you eat? Carb count? And is it every day?

My guess is that you have hit upon a nice maintenance diet -- with bread, protein shakes, plenty of dairy. But it is likely too low in fat and too high in carbs to continue losing.

My other guess is that your body has lost a chunk of weight, and it is taking a rest before you start losing again.

Most Atkins-ers try to keep their nutrition ratios around 70-75 fat, 20-25 protein and 5-10% carb, but these can vary. Have you logged your daily menus somewhere like MYPLAN (on this site) or fitday.com to see where your ratios fall?

tommccl
Tue, Dec-28-10, 15:45
Thank's for the input. You are absolutely correct re: the protein v. carbs. Plus the protein is really lean. The shakes are 100% whey from GNC. I usually take these with 1% milk. Many g's protein but little fat. The bread has about 12g's carbs per and I usually only have one. Time to re-think the whole fat inclusion and significantly reduce the carbs. The non-fat yogurt will also change.

Great information.

Regards,

Tom