PDA

View Full Version : Question of the Day/Year/Lifetime

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

kdkeega
Wed, Dec-15-10, 22:42
How is it that you can want something so much and yet be the only person who is stopping yourself from getting it?

This is my official PUBLIC journey to commit to the Low Carb lifestyle! I tried to start today and the day ended in wine and cookies! The reason I made the choice... I don't know...but I am coming to this forum out of shear desperation! I hope that the support of this board, the wisdom of it's members and the task of me digging deep and have faith in myself and the low carb formula that it will allow me to climb this mountain.

What do I promise to do for day tomorrow?

1) no more than 20 carbs
2) NO SODA
3) 100 oz of water

I am afraid of the scale...based on what I have been through this past year. I am going to commit and weigh in on Monday!

Any support, wisdom or advice.... please pass on...

Kd

tlc63
Thu, Dec-16-10, 00:20
Hi Kd and congratulations on the first step to a better you. Physically, spiritually, completely! I'd like to share a bit of my history with you...I've done this way of life before and it really, really does work. I'm carrying an extra 40 lbs right now and I'm the heaviest I've ever been without being pregnant or post pregnancy that is. I'm currently in my second week of induction. I'm 47, & I've had 4 daughters my youngest is 12 and my others are 22,25 and 27. Honestly I've never had a weight problem even though I gained over 70 lbs with every pregnancy...It always would just melt off with little effort. I have exercised most all of my life (off and on). Before my last daughter was born I was a gym rat 6 days a week for 3 years. Then got pregnant and knew I was destined to gain alot of weight again so I just sat back and let mother nature do her thing. At 35 most of my excess weight came off with sensible eating and thank god for breast feeding!! But I had about 15-20 lingering pounds that just wouldnt budge. I'm tall 5'10", so I can carry extra weight without it really showing (clothed ), most people would say..."you weigh how much??" No way!, but I would always think... believe me...I see myself naked and clothes can hide ALOT! So I tried Atkins for the first time in 2003 over a period of 3 months had lost all the excess weight and it really became a way of eating for me. I lost another 15 pounds without really trying and was a size 2-4 for the next several years. I felt terrific. Then divorce hit...stressers of life, a job change blah blah blah...and before I knew it....Here I am 40 lbs heavier and for me....I am MISERSBLE heavy. I know I dont weight 250+ lbs but everybodys comfort zone is there own. I haven't put a pair of shorts on in two years and I live in south Texas! A bathing suit?? OMG not happening. I'm a nurse so thank god for loose fitting scrubs...thats practically all I have in my closet these days because nothing fits and I refuse to buy bigger clothes. I'm not living my life to its full potential because I'm unhappy with the way I look. Life is too short and food is not that important to me for it to rob me of my happiness. I want to participate in my life again. So I have made the commitment to this WOE and I feel awesome about it! I will be svelt and happy with me again eventually one pound at a time! I have a terrific man in my life that absolutely LOVES me exactly the way I am but is also very supportive. He tells me ALL the time how "hot" I am.. :) I was having a bad day when the scale wasn't as nice as I thought it should have been & he said to me "oh baby, that's because sexy weighs more than fat"... :lol: I am so grateful for him he's terrific, he is 6'9" and 270 lbs so even with the extra weight on me I dont feel huge next to him and I still feel feminine & that is an awesome feeling, considering my ex was my height and 160 lbs SOAKING wet...LOL.

So Kd, what I want to say to you is this...You CAN do this..the weight isn't dropping off of me, it's much slower this time around, it IS absolutely discouraging but what happens if I quit??? NOTHING! Exactly! I go on stuck in this repetitive unhealthy self loathing cycle. I started Atkins again about 8 months ago and after 2 weeks of induction had only lost 8 lbs, I got so discouraged I went right back to my old eating patterns saying to myself I just cant lose weight now that I'm 47. I had blood work done looking for and secretly hoping for some thyroid or hormone imbalance to explain why I just cant lose weight...well, that didn't happen. I'm healthy as a horse except for a slight vitamin D deficiency since I rarely see daylight with my work hours.. I had to look at it for what it is. I've worked nights for the past three years and I sit on my tush all night long. I havent exercised regularly in 5 years and I have been eating like crap! Hello!!?? had I not been Miss instant gratification girl and stuck to Atkins 8 months ago....I would be thinner, happier, & healthier by now. We all have pitfalls, just don't beat yourself up...your human! So you had cookies and wine :yum: .....tomorrows another day..do your best, thats all you can expect from yourself and tell yourself how much YOU want this, be proud of your choice. It truly is one day at a time...I know how cliche that is but it is SO true. Set small goals for yourself & use this site for motivation. You're NOT alone...I promise, so many of us know exactly how your feeling. We certainly can be our own worst enemy. You have to want this for yourself with all your heart. if you do...you will succeed. Nobody is perfect and it IS not always easy, we all screw up sometimes. They key is to allowyourself some room for error but be able to recognize it....pick yourself up continue on the path that is going to make you proud of the strength you found within yourself to make good choices..I wish you the Best of Luck and I'd love to be kept updated on your progress. :wave: T

seagull07
Thu, Dec-16-10, 11:28
I know exactly how you feel, kd--I've been carrying around my 50lbs "Bag" of potatoes (lbs) for years and now I just realized that this is taking a toll on me...on my knees, on my joints, etc..I'm so weak and out of shape that I couldnt pick up the 50lbs bag so why am I carrying ALL that around on my body? We can do this!!

kdkeega
Thu, Dec-16-10, 21:09
Day One - First and foremost let me thank both TLC and seagull for posting....your words of encouragement ...it truly helped me. Never underestimate what a moment of kindness can mean to someone else! THANK YOU

OK GOOD first day.... I met my goal of 19.3 carbs and 100 oz of water. However I did have soda..which part of my learning experience is to say ... that was OK. Normally I would throw my hands up in the air and say bring on the cheesecake.

Breakfast: 4 oz chicken
Lunch: 1 cup of chicken chili
Dinner: 9.5 oz of steak & 1 sugar free jello cup

I forgot about the fact that sugar free jello was 1 carb. See already reaping the benefits of the low carb board.

Challenge for tomorrow will be to continue and be proud of myself on day 2!

Have Faith in ME!

Requin
Thu, Dec-16-10, 22:30
First few days are always the hardest. Once you get over the carb cravings and put some time into making sure you have good low carb food to eat- it becomes pretty easy. I think my first week I ate chicken caesar salad 5x, crustless quiche 5x, and the odd other meal (my 'breakfast' is a 'bold roast grande in a venti cup, top up the cup with whipping cream from the local Starbucks...)

GlendaRC
Fri, Dec-17-10, 01:31
Welcome kd and remember, just like the AA slogan, one day at a time, sometime just one moment at a time.

"For right now, I will not have ..... "

Best wishes on your journey to the new you!!

Mama Sebo
Fri, Dec-17-10, 02:03
Hello kd, and welcome, Glenda and the others above (and you) have said all the wise words you need, just know that many of us are in the same boat, looking for that place we sometimes achieve where we are certain, where we KNOW we are not going to eat the carbs.

Referring to your very first sentence, "How is it that you can want something so much and yet..." I find reading around this site, checking out some of the blogs of different members, watching the videos (like the fathead video on you tube) that are out there, all these inputs help me to stay conscious, because consciously I DO want it, its that subconscious which directs so much of our life (I mean, how could we do complicated things like driving if we didn't have a competent subconscious?) which I must get a hold of, I must not allow it to direct my path.

All the very best for this step, and I hope we can continue to chat.

kdkeega
Fri, Dec-17-10, 18:16
Referring to your very first sentence, "How is it that you can want something so much and yet..." I find reading around this site, checking out some of the blogs of different members, watching the videos (like the fathead video on you tube) that are out there, all these inputs help me to stay conscious, because consciously I DO want it, its that subconscious which directs so much of our life (I mean, how could we do complicated things like driving if we didn't have a competent subconscious?) which I must get a hold of, I must not allow it to direct my path.

Very wise words Mama Sebo....we Day 2 was a learning experience of good news/bad news/learning curve

I started off the day carefully planning my journey to only 20 carbs... along the day I stumbled and had 2 protein/low carb bars - so my carb total today is 68.....that is the bad news

The good news is - 1700 calories and I refuse to binge! I came back - read Mama Sebo's words and it stopped me from throwing my hands in the air. Oh yeah AND I walked for 4.25 miles today

So tomorrow is a new day.... I am getting on the scale on Monday - which i am afraid to do to get a start weight.

Have a good night my low carb friends

Mama Sebo
Fri, Dec-17-10, 23:18
Great! You didn't fall into the trap!
So, Monday is your formal weigh in day -- don't be afraid, remember, you WANT your start weight to be your peak, from there its downhill all the way!!!!
And thanks for your nice words, they will stengthen me. You know, I have a couple of friends here who I can FEEL next to me when I am challenged to get through a moment without bingeing. It pays to do this journalling, and to make yourself at home around the site and in other journals -- you are very welcome to visit mine if you feel the urge. Well, have a great weekend, and good night. :rheart:

Elizellen
Sat, Dec-18-10, 05:23
Hi KD :wave:

I wish you well as you start your Atkins journey towards better health and a slimmer body :thup:

PilotGal
Sat, Dec-18-10, 05:51
Day One -

OK GOOD first day....

Breakfast: 4 oz chicken
Lunch: 1 cup of chicken chili
Dinner: 9.5 oz of steak & 1 sugar free jello cup

I forgot about the fact that sugar free jello was 1 carb. See already reaping the benefits of the low carb board.
Challenge for tomorrow will be to continue and be proud of myself on day 2!
Have Faith in ME!

hello and welcome to the forum... may i suggest you start a journal and log your food, your thoughts, your trials and tribulations.
don't forget to take measurements and pictures.
and try to take pictures of yourself in something that you can put on again for your "in progress" photos..

keep a running journal of everything you're doing because you're going to be going back and reading and re-reading your journal to see what worked and what did not work. you will also start seeing patterns..
habits you may want to break :thup: .

document it. write it all down. take pictures.
and most of all, Keep It Simple, Sweetie..

kdkeega
Sat, Dec-18-10, 13:07
Thank you everyone....I started my official journal under the journal section entitled "The Last Day One". I am going to take all of your advice and look forward to the magic that will happen in this next week!

Charise
Sat, Dec-18-10, 13:46
The reason I made the choice... I don't know...but I am coming to this forum out of shear desperation! I hope that the support of this board, the wisdom of it's members and the task of me digging deep and have faith in myself and the low carb formula that it will allow me to climb this mountain.

Any support, wisdom or advice.... please pass on...

Kd

The journal is definately the BEST 1st step! NEVER neglect it!! :)
Even if it's to just drop in and say.. still plugging away, doing everything I'm suppose to.... or even if it's just to yell and scream and sob for falling off plan (we all do this) and everyone here will be there to help pick you right back up and get you moving forward again :)

As for the ~reason~ you made this choice... as soon as you realize the reason... you tell yourself that reason everyday.. non-stop until you BELIEVE it, and no other ~choice~ is an option. Laser focus.. YOU own your body.. not the bad foods. YOU are in control... nothing else. If you want it, and TRULY believe that you deserve it... then you WILL do it. No questions, no ifs, ands or buts about it... determination.. when that sets in... look out world!!! :D :D

Chris_D
Tue, Dec-21-10, 17:53
Atta Girl! :cheer:

YOU CAN DO THIS!! YOU ARE WORTH EVERY EFFORT!!

My words of advice are:
Plan ahead
Stay Focused
Stay Determined
Don't let the scale be your judge & jury
And just Keep Swimming!

Cheers!

~ Chris ~

P.S. I posted a message in your journal ;)