PDA

View Full Version : My low carb story

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

bmorewless
Sun, Nov-14-10, 17:55
Hi! My name is Frances. I've been lurking here for awhile and just wanted to say thank you to all the people offering their support and advice here. My low carb story started out when we moved a few months ago. It was a great transitional point in my husband's and my life to start taking better care of ourselves as he was done with school and we were starting the "real world." I had put on a lot of weight working long hours and trying to keep up with the autistic kids at my job and stay ahead of my hypoglycemia. I was controlling my blood sugar the wrong way: by keeping the supply of sugar coming. I was overindulging but I was also over stressed and thought I "earned" the right to eat whatever I wanted.
About a year ago I also started enduring nauseating waves of pain that would last for hours or days. I thought I was dying and my doctors thought I had cancer. It was really scary and my diet became even worse to compensate for the stess. If I was going to die, at least I was going to have some culinary bliss first! Finally my doctors and I concluded that I had IC, a bladder condition resulting from a change/scarring in the tissue that exposes the nerve endings. There is no cure, it is chronic, and the few treatments available are all relatively barbaric and insufficiently tested on women in their childbearing years. I decided to just bear with the pain, which I had grown used to by then anyway.
Then I went on the South Beach diet and noticed right away that my pain was gone! Days went by. Weeks went by. No pain! I was mystified! Then we went to visit family, cheated on our diet, and the pain came back instantaneously. We went home, back on our diet: no pain. Cheat: pain. And so it goes on and on.
Currently I have lost 10lbs and I am much happier with my weight. It would be nice to lose a few more pounds but my diet is more about learning how to control my IC and hypoglycemia. I live on an IC modified South Beach diet. I am still learning what this means and am sad to say that so far it appears whole grains are out of the question. So are many fruits and veggies that the SB allows. It appears carbs in my diet turn into thumbtacks in my bladder and this just won't do. I still cheat when I have been good for a period of time though. I think this keeps me from feeling sorry for myself for having to restrict my favorite foods. It also hurts and makes me eager to go back to being good!
O Well. So that's my story. Anybody else out there know someone who knows someone who has IC? I feel like a rare genetic flop! Even my "cure" is inexplicable in the IC world.
Anyway. I'll be around cruising the recipes and low glycemic food index. If you are still reading this, thank you for taking the time!

-Frances

gwynne2
Sun, Nov-14-10, 21:44
Wow. I don't know anyone who has that disorder but I've read about it; I remember reading the story of one woman who said she was seriously considering suicide because of the pain and discomfort, and only didn't because of her kids. It sounds terrible, but it's very interesting that lowcarb appears to have helped you with this. Congrats!

bmorewless
Mon, Nov-15-10, 10:17
Wow. I don't know anyone who has that disorder but I've read about it; I remember reading the story of one woman who said she was seriously considering suicide because of the pain and discomfort, and only didn't because of her kids. It sounds terrible, but it's very interesting that lowcarb appears to have helped you with this. Congrats!

Thanks! That's awful for that woman. I wonder sometimes how many people are out there suffering from any kind of pain/inflammation who would benefit from a low carb diet. I feel very lucky to have stumbled upon relief in the process of trying to get my weight under control.

CValentine
Mon, Nov-15-10, 10:35
Sending you positive thoughts Frances... :bhug:

Glad that you found something that helps bring relief to your bladder condition!! :)

I too, found relief in my WOE!
I have chronic kidney stones & only have relief when I eat higher fat percentages, protein under 25% & low or no carbs.

I add some recipes in from time to time...
I hope you have some recipes to add!! :) ~Cheryl

sherileah1
Mon, Nov-15-10, 11:38
Cvaletine I too also have cronic Kidney stones, and I have noticed since I have gotten serious about the Low carbing that my stones are not bothering me. Last time I went in July for a check up I had at least 8 in each kidney.... I have passed 50 plus stones in the last 10 years! Maybe this is what I needed to be kidney stone free!

bmorewless - I am so happy you have found what works for you and keeps that pain down!

bmorewless
Mon, Nov-15-10, 18:27
Thanks Cheryl and Sheri! People I've told about my diet haven't been very encouraging, mostly because they are worried about a higher fat/protein diet. Then I come here and read about how much weight people have lost and how they've found relief from various ailments! I am grateful for the support and motivation you all give.