PDA

View Full Version : day 6

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Rob
Sat, Apr-27-02, 07:18
hi all. :wave:

I finally weighed myself today despite my scale phobia . :p
and I am down 3 lbs after indulging myself totally in fat and protein.

So ,I am looking forward to to Monday which will be my first 7 days .

I must say that I am having a completely different experience this time round compared to last time I tried Atkins . Dont know why , and I seem to be loosing too . The main differnece I think is that I have done some light exercise which I didnt do last time .

I have one burning question .

Can anyone give me ideas how to cope with this WOE when one goes on holiday ?? Can anyone give ideas how to avoid carbs on holiday when one is eating in hotels and restaurants ??

thanks Rob :help:

alto
Sat, Apr-27-02, 07:34
Hi, Rob! You're off to a great start -- congratulations :)

You might want to scroll through this forum and the General Low Carb forum because there have been threads fairly recently that tackle this same question and you'll get more detailed suggestions.

I think, in summary, people find it really isn't that difficult. The biggest thing to practice saying is "Hold the toast," "Please remove the bread from the table," and "I'd like a hamburger but no bun and no fries, please" (to give an American example :) Fish and chips would be out, I think :) )

Breakfast -- you can get bacon and eggs anywhere.

Lunch -- a salad. Try to find a salad bar; then you can pick your own ingredients. But elsewhere, you should be able to get a main course salad with meat, salad vegs and full fat dressing.

Dinner -- steak and side vegetables. Bargain with your waiter -- no potato, please, so could I have two vegetables instead of one?

Take cheese and nuts along for snacks. Drink water when you can -- some people take bottled water with them.

I think when we look at a menu with low carb eyes, a lot of possibilities present themselves, especially if we've been avoiding this or that -- like a Caesar salad -- because it's high in fat.

AngelaR
Sat, Apr-27-02, 07:35
Eating out is really not that tough. Think of it as eating in, but someone else has the hassle of cooking. Then think that you can ask for anything in the world, and most places will be happy to accommodate your request.

For example
Chicken ceasar salad
Any kind of salad, and ask for olive oil and vinegar on the side.
Steak, seafood, lambchops, oh by the way, I'd like to substitue the potato for a salad or an extra veggie
You can ask for sandwiches without the bread. I once had the most delicious philly beef (beef toped with fried onions, green peppers and cheese). The chef did it up in a fancy bowl instead of on a bun.
Fahitas (spelling?) (stir fried meat and veggies and sour cream and salsa)... go ahead and order it without the pita or flatbread it comes with.

The only limit is your imagination. Most places are happy to accommodate you if you ask nicely.

You also have to remeber that servers get asked questions all the time, by non-LCing patrons who have food dislikes or sensitivities. They are used to hearing: Is there sugar in it? May I have the dressing on the side please? No fries thanks. More water please. More water please. More water please. More water please.
:D