PDA

View Full Version : Just me AGAIN!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Holly66
Tue, Nov-09-10, 12:54
Hello to all,
I did a low carb diet about 7 years ago. Lost about 60 pounds. Looked and felt great for about two or three years......lots of stress in my life and turned to food. I have now gained it all back plus a few. Need to get back on the lc way of life and have tried quite a few times with no success. Seem to reach for sugar and fries whenever I get stressed. I am hoping this time works. :) :thup:

2xby38kyw
Tue, Nov-09-10, 18:25
Hello Holly66

Welcome back. Your story sounds almost identical to mine. Im on day #1 of my LC lifestyle. I dont know where I fell off, but I'm determine to win this thing for good. The salty with the sugary junkfood were my enemies as well. Look at it like this.. if we've done this thing before we can do it again.

MoonDansyr
Tue, Nov-09-10, 19:25
Welcome Holly! You will like it here! Lots of support and the best place to come when you're feeling like grabbing that old, high carb comfort food!

sherileah1
Wed, Nov-10-10, 07:36
Welcome Holly!!!! I agree with moon you will like it here.... I have been so motivated since I started being on this site! The people are awesome!!! :wave:

WereBear
Thu, Nov-11-10, 17:00
May I suggest a different way to handle stress? I speak from experience.

The time to come up with alternatives (whatever appeals to you) is not when you've had a horrible day and the drive through is beckoning. Knowhutimean?

2xby38kyw
Sun, Nov-14-10, 01:51
Holly66
just checking in with you. how's it going?

Holly66
Mon, Nov-22-10, 13:03
Hi,
not sure why I am having such a hard time figuring this site out....I am not computer illeterate but can't seem to navigate this forum very well.....just found all of your responses...sorry...not puposely ignoring anyone.
I am not doing very well at all. Do ok in the morning but by lunch time I start grabbing the salty crunchy...which quickly leads to the sweet and then it is just a vicious cycle. :(

2xby38kyw
Mon, Nov-22-10, 14:19
Hi Holly
I can only give you suggestions based on my own experiences. I had those horrible sugar cravings no actually it really was addictions the first time I was eating LC. I had it so bad where I had the shakes.(just like a true drug addict) The only thing I've found which helps put that need, urge,( and gives me that great feeling afterwards) like eating the junk foods... was to start meditating.
I found the strength within myself to overcome and to finding the happiness and satisfaction of other things which made me feel just as good if not better. Once I incorporated vigorous cardio, I felt like someone had injected me with drugs. It's really a mind thing to this whole eating healthy thing. Nothing to do with the food. Maybe you should start a gratitude journal each day, or try some yoga. Also make sure you know exactly what your meals are the day before, and stick with them. Stay on schedule with your meals and dont deviate from it.
It's all in your control truly..,just depends on how bad you want it.

sherileah1
Mon, Nov-22-10, 14:25
Well said 2xby!!! That was exactly on point! I have been so more determined this time. This is my first time LCing but I have tried a million other things but something clicked in me when I started this. You have to have the want to so you can do this. Dont get me wrong I am not perfect and I have my slips but I dont let it beat me I just pick myself up and start again!

MoonDansyr
Tue, Nov-23-10, 18:51
You're getting great advice. Something I might add ... I make kale chips and keep them in the fridge and also keep pork rinds on hand when I want "salty/crunchy." When I start craving sweets (which seldom happens now), I have some coffee or tea with heavy cream. Try to identify the craving and then replace it with something that's allowed. There are SO many varied options with low carb, I guarantee there's something that will satisfy you.

You know, now that I said that ... if you can just stay focused for a few days, those sweet cravings go away! Honestly. I'm not saying they NEVER happen again, but they are SO seldom! Can you stick with something just for a few days if you know that you will overcome it in that short amount of time?

Another thing that helps, kind of along the lines of meditation is visualization. Every time you start having a killer craving, picture whatever it is that motivates you most to keep you focused. Maybe it's a loved-one you want to be healthy for, maybe it's a picture of a healthier version of yourself, maybe it's a gorgeous outfit you want to wear one day. Find whatever your biggest motivation is and mentally "go there" any time those crave demons erupt. I've even posted pictures of my motivators around (in cupboards, fridge, bedroom dresser, etc.) to keep me on track.

I hope that helps!

Holly66
Tue, Dec-14-10, 20:21
Thank you all so much for all of your advice......I am not focusing on low carbing right now and just seem to be spending a lot of time making excuses...Just had a VERY long talk with a friend of mine who has recently lost a lot of weight doing the lc thing so hopefully can get myself motivated. Will be off work starting Friday for about two weeks so plan on pulling out old pics of when I lived the lc lifestyle and putting them everywhere.....also going to work on meditating....thanks for the info. Plan on spending lots of time on this web site too! :)