PDA

View Full Version : Early Problems - Metabolic Resistance?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Anner
Thu, Oct-21-10, 10:28
Hello,

I'm Anne, I'm 51, 5 foot 4 and I live in Southern France. I have been doing the induction for 3 weeks now, and have not cheated once, other than a couple of glasses of white wine. I have also not lost any weight at all. The diet suits me and I am not having any cravings. I am not massively overweight but want to shed 15 kilos (around 30 pounds) because I have a knee problem and believe that it will be vastly improved by there being a lot less of me. I currently weight 11 stone (143 pounds). The french medical profession does not agree with Atkins thinking and are unlikely to help if I go to them saying that I have a metabolic resistance to weight loss. Can anyone help?

Thanks.

lisabinil
Thu, Oct-21-10, 11:11
Can you post a couple of days menus? Also do you have any health problems or are you on any meds?

Chris_D
Thu, Oct-21-10, 11:34
Welcome! :wave:

Like lisabinil suggested, post a few days menus; there may be some hidden carbs or foods that are not induction friendly such as the wine.

The couple glasses of wine may have been the culprit. Try doing one week of "clean eating" on Induction.

Keep swimming!

~ Chris ~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anner
Fri, Oct-22-10, 02:37
Thanks for your thoughts. No, no medication (I gave up the anti inflammatories for my knee about 3 days before I started). Wine? May be but that seems very unfair (I live in the South of France after all) and I have only drunk on 5 days out of 21 so far!

So here goes on menus for the last few days:

Day 1
Breakfast
One egg, scrambled in the fat of 2 slices of bacon
2 cups of green tea (mint flavoured)

Lunch
Shredded white cabbage (raw) with mushrooms, feta cheese (100g), 2 tomatoes, 1 egg, mayonnaise.

Snack (about 6pm)
2 sticks of celery with goats cheese (about 50gm)

Supper
Green Beans
Courgettes baked with pesto sauce (oil, parmasan, basil, pinenuts)
Turkey escalop baked with garlic oil and lemon

Over the course of the day 3 cups of green tea with mint or camomile.

1 glass white wine.

Day 2

Breakfast
Fried mushrooms and bacon
Green tea with mint

Lunch
2 ground beef burgers with salad: lettuce, tomatoes, mushrooms, feta cheese, sprinkling of parmasan, salad dressing (oil, vinegar - not balsamic, and dijon mustard)

Snack
About 70gm of hard cheese

Supper
Turkey escalop with tomato, cumin and mustard sauce, roasted mixed veg - (fennel, white cabbage, red pepper, onion, courgette, aubergine).

3 glasses of white wine.

Day 3
Breakfast
Scrambled egg with left over baked courgette
2 cups of green tea

Lunch
Big salad of lettuce, mushroom, tomato, crumbled bacon, feta cheese (with herbs in oil), chopped raw pepper and a sprinkling of dressing (see above) and parmasan.

Snack
Slice of ham rolled around Dijon Mustard

Supper
Cauliflower bolognaise: minced beef, red pepper, tomato, aubergine, courgette, garlic tin of tomato puree, onion, all poured over steamed cauli.

NO WINE!

I must say I am loving the food and not missing bread, cake, pastry at all.

katoman
Fri, Oct-22-10, 05:43
As much as you love cheese (I do too!), try to limit your total intake to no more than 100 grams total (3 to 4 oz) or less a day. Some people are stalled by too much dairy. I know you are cooking with oils but you may also need to increase your intake of fats.

pkadams
Sun, Oct-24-10, 13:12
I am new, too,but I think you might want to add more fat. Looks like a healthy diet, but if you want to jumpstart the weight loss, should probably eat more meat and eggs and fish and less veggies and cheese. Good luck! And yes, you could be resistant but you can figure out what will work!