PDA

View Full Version : Low carb in Japan...haha...it'll be an adventure!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

japangirl
Wed, Oct-06-10, 05:41
Hi all! I'm brand new to the forum and also trying low carb for the first time in years. I had success the last time - but it was when I was 21, a junior in college, and just had the "college" life, if you know what I mean. I eventually gained it all back the 9 years since.

Now? I'm 30, hit that milestone a few months back and living in another foreign country. In Japan, I'm surrounded by rice, tempura deep fried EVERYTHING, pastry shops everywhere and candy shops. Everything in this country is sweet and all high carb! How the Japanese people stay so skinny is beyond me, because my American body is definitely built a different way and I've gained the weight to prove it! ARGH!

Life got really hard this year, I've lost several people close to me and I've discovered that I'm not an emotional eater, but a bored eater. Snack, snack, snack...I'm the world's best snacker! I've never ever weighed this much in my whole life and it's to the point where it's just embarrassing standing next to a japanese girl because everybody just stares at you and you know they are thinking "another fat foreigner". I don't want to be that fat foreigner anymore! I've been here almost 2 years and it's time to change!

I've joined this message board because it looked like there are some really supportive people here and living abroad, I'm going at this alone. So, if anyone wants a low carb buddy I'm in!

My goal weight seems really far off, but I know bit by bit I'l get there. Have a great day!!

BruceInAla
Wed, Oct-06-10, 06:36
Welcome aboard. The good news is that fish is popular in Japan and good for LC eating. Sushi (sans the rice) and dairy will be available too. Stir fried veggies. Watch for sugar in the sauces, but you can make your own. Beef I know is pricey there, but pork is more reasonable, isn't it? And of course, start a walking regimen if you haven't already, and add some light calisthenics as you shed some pounds. (I started that a year ago and have gradually worked up to some good numbers)

The next year will go by one way or another. It might as well go by with you getting to goal :)

Water Lily
Wed, Oct-06-10, 17:49
Cooked Fish, Sashimi, Kobe Beef, and Okinawa pork and veggies might sustain you. Just say "allergic," in Japanese when they wonder why you don't want rice. :-)

japangirl
Thu, Oct-07-10, 02:16
Thanks guys for the support! I will be living on Kobe beef and chicken :lol: Lots of fresh veggies around too! I don't like seafood, I know, the horror! I am surrounded by it everywhere though! I'm on day 2 and didn't cheat at all! Woo hoo!