PDA

View Full Version : Best time of day to work out????!?!?'v

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

JBaker
Wed, Sep-29-10, 23:39
Okay.... So I have some ideas and know that there are different opens on exercise! However, I figured it could be a fun discussion and a useful one for us all!

Is it better to work out in the morning or the night (before bed)?????

We all know exercise at all is good for in a billion different ways regardless of when it is, right? Exercise with increase tour metabolism for many hours after you have stopped. But I have a theory that at night might be best for weightloss..... Figure you know what you ate, you know how much you need to burn off, and it ensures that anything put into your body is used prior to going to sleep (which is when your body is able to burn the most fat off). Many people say know going to bed without eating 3 hours prior will help you lose weight. Now imagine if your metabolism was kicked up a knotch during that times as well??? Besides, everyone can fit in 30 minutes before bed right (for the most part)? Kids are asleep and most thing are taken care of.

Rather, trying to squeeze it in in the morning van be a challenge. Always rushing with something.

What do you think!?!?! What are your theories or ideas? :help:

JBaker
Wed, Sep-29-10, 23:41
Wow... There are so many typos in that... Hehehe. Sorry guys o typed it on my iPhone! Can't wait to hear some ideas

rapiddash
Thu, Sep-30-10, 07:17
I exercise in the morning because otherwise I won't get around to it. On the days I work (12 hour shifts) I walk on the treadmill 1/2 an hour at lunch and 1/2 hour after work. I don't notice any difference but I will keep an eye out now.

ValerieL
Fri, Oct-01-10, 08:58
The best time for exercise is the time you will do it consistently. Any differences between morning, afternoon or evening exercise are minute at best and not worth worrying about.

Exercise when it works for you!

PlaneCrazy
Mon, Oct-04-10, 04:31
I'm like rapiddash, the morning is the only time I can fit it in. I now get up at 5:00 a.m. and ride my bike. Fortunately for me, I have a long bike trail behind my house so with a headlight on my bike, I'm pretty safe. If I don't exercise at this time, there will never be another time that will work. Valerie is totally correct, whatever time will consistently work is the right time.

JustSmurfy
Mon, Oct-04-10, 09:42
I agree with Valerie.

Even more than that, I think that one of the reasons why people have difficulty sticking to exercise is that they are so worried about doing it perfect or doing it right that it sucks all the joy out of it.

Find some exercise you can enjoy, do it often for the benefits and enjoyment of it, and don't sweat the small stuff.

I get a *lot* more exercise now that my workout schedule is "all over the place" than I did when I tried a regimented routine. Your mileage may vary. :)

rapiddash
Tue, Oct-05-10, 07:00
Smurfy is right, I do what I love. I love to swim, do it 4 times a week, love Yoga, do it 3 times a week. I want to do Taekwondo, ride English again, hike, ride my bike...all because I like to and its fun for me.

absinthian
Tue, Oct-05-10, 09:20
I commute to school on my bike 5 days a week therefore my exercise is in the morning and early afternoon. Gets my blood pumping and wakes me up for the day.

If I exercise in the evening I find it hard to sleep.

rapiddash
Wed, Oct-06-10, 06:26
I used to ride my bike to school and back. 14 mile round trip and the wind was always in my face. Don't ask me how, lol.

missaec
Sat, Oct-23-10, 12:05
Everything I've read says that first thing in the morning before you eat is better because your body has digested food from the previous day and you're dipping into your fat stores for energy (or glycogen stores if you have them). If you exercise after you eat, you're burning energy from what you just ate, not from your stores.

Again, this may be dated information because I haven't researched in a few years. They could have found new stuff to prove this wrong since then. That always seems to happen. I believe I've read that your workouts burn 4 times more energy out of stuff you have stored up if you work out before you eat rather than afterward.

But I do agree that if you can't fit it in during the morning before you eat, it's better to exercise at a consistent time than not exercise at all.

katoman
Sat, Oct-23-10, 12:36
I commute to school on my bike 5 days a week therefore my exercise is in the morning and early afternoon. Gets my blood pumping and wakes me up for the day.

If I exercise in the evening I find it hard to sleep.

While in the military, I would ride my bike to work each day. It was 6 miles each way and I loved it!; even when it was over 100 degrees during the summer. The stretch I rode is officially part of the Hotter-Than-Hell-100 bike race that takes place annually in Wichita Falls, TX and it's all hills. I never did make the 6 miles in the 20 minutes that the military says is the fitness training rate. Too many hills!

ETA: All that stopped when my bike was stolen.

serif
Wed, Nov-03-10, 10:34
I've heard that working out in the morning before breakfast supposedly burns more fat reserves but I find that I don't have enough energy to exercise to my fullest in the morning. I usually work out after lunch or before lunch. I also ride my bike or jog in the evening after work and dinner. I agree with everyone saying the best time is the time that you will do it on a regular basis.

JBaker
Tue, Dec-07-10, 19:37
Some really great points on here.... And I know that everyone is different as well. Exercise at anytime is great bit I was joist trying to learn of an advantage in timing to help boos my results :)
So I know it had been a while, but since I was in a car accident I hadn't been on!

I have learned a few little things I figured I'd share. First in Atkins for life.... He refers to the window of opportunity in regards to working out and carbs... If you are going to eat a few extra carbs ad not have them effect your weight loss OR ketosis.... You have a 20-120 minute window after a workout that will not process the carbs because your body is them to rebuild muscle.
Also, exercise for the longest amount of time each session. The rate at which you burn carbs vs fat (way to scientific for me to try to explain) basically, from my understanding, is like double the results for half the effort... the longer the amount of time you are working out the more you will burn at a quicker rate. Not just 100 calories every 20 minutes, but like the first 10 minutes you burn 50, the second 10 minutes you burn 60 the third 10 minutes you burn 70. So these numbers are just an example to explain. The point is you burn twice as many calories the second the second 20 minutes of a work out them you do in the first 20 minutes.
Also, generally speaking you deplete any carbohydrates stored about 50 minutes into a extreme to moderately extreme workout. Your body rotates between burning at vs carbs every 10-15 minted or so.

Hope it explains a little of what I have researched. Lol
Good luck