PDA

View Full Version : Extremely basic, dumb question from a non-exerciser

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

gwynne2
Fri, Sep-17-10, 15:25
Okay, I know like three things about exercise and they're probably all decades old and wrong. I'm curious about this but I can only imagine the drivel a google search will return.

True or false: you can't "spot reduce" by exercise? Meaning, even with crunches or whatever, I won't really be able to do much about my flabby stomach unless I'm carrying even less body fat? Maybe not then?

I'm at that stage of loss where jeans that fit my ass and thighs properly result in a bit of jolly overhang in front, heh. So I wear jeans a size too big and hitch them up all day. Would working my ab muscles actually do anything or will it just turn into fat with a layer of muscle underneath?

jschwab
Fri, Sep-17-10, 16:09
With all due respect, the last thing you should be thinking about in terms of exercise is the size of your ass :lol: . You should exercise for your health, so you don't break your hip and die early when you are old, and so you can keep up with your dreams and passions.

FatJessica
Fri, Sep-17-10, 17:07
Ab exercises are not going to help the fat on top, just add muscle underneath. The added muscle will increase your metabolism though, but your body is going to lose fat where it wants to...so your best bet is to do cardio and see what happens. For me, the boobs are the first to go :( I wish it were my thighs!

gwynne2
Fri, Sep-17-10, 18:04
With all due respect, the last thing you should be thinking about in terms of exercise is the size of your ass :lol: . You should exercise for your health, so you don't break your hip and die early when you are old, and so you can keep up with your dreams and passions.

I can totally, totally see why my post came off that way (and this is the second time in a few days I've come off badly/air-headedly), but I'm pretty much not vain, and I have crappy joints (arthritis, RSI, and what i guess is oncoming bursitis? From what? It ain't tennis) and I *need* to do some sort of muscle development. I'm sort of sidling my way into the mindset. The jeans thing is annoyance that they're constantly falling down and stuff just generally fits me uncomfortably. Don't care what anyone what thinks of my butt.

I'm actually more interested in finding out how to build up muscles to support my rapidly deteriorating right shoulder and all the other stuff that's going to go wrong soon, but I tried on some jeans after work and then posted this on a whim after realizing that my remaining fat continues to stay concentrated right about where I need to button my jeans.

Ab exercises are not going to help the fat on top, just add muscle underneath. The added muscle will increase your metabolism though, but your body is going to lose fat where it wants to...so your best bet is to do cardio and see what happens.

Meh. Oh well, thanks for the confirmation.

(I don't see myself doing cardio because I hate it--I think I would have a better shot at adherence with weights. My hairstylist apparently also teaches some weight training classes, which got me thinking about all this, which got me wondering about the 'can't spot reduce' wisdom.)

Wendyrvp
Fri, Sep-17-10, 18:15
I cant answer on the exercise part, but i know that there are some brands of jeans that are very specific to body shape. I am very round. I have very large thighs and hips but a much smaller waist. I always had baggy waist and tight legs in my pants. I just discovered Right Fit which has 3 different shapes in every size pants. I dont work for them or anything like that, but maybe getting pants that fit your shape better might help with the comfort level. Just a thought.

jschwab
Fri, Sep-17-10, 18:17
I understand completely - don't think you are an airhead at all. You sound like you would do well with weightlifting - I really like doing it. It sounds like your hairdresser is a one-stop shop - does she do maekup, too :lol: ? I would just go with the easiest thing and see about her class since you already know her. It is really hard to get started with exercise, but you will feel so much better when you do it.

jschwab
Fri, Sep-17-10, 18:19
I cant answer on the exercise part, but i know that there are some brands of jeans that are very specific to body shape. I am very round. I have very large thighs and hips but a much smaller waist. I always had baggy waist and tight legs in my pants. I just discovered Right Fit which has 3 different shapes in every size pants. I dont work for them or anything like that, but maybe getting pants that fit your shape better might help with the comfort level. Just a thought.

Yes, the Gap has that "classic fit" which seems to work for pears.

Seejay
Sat, Sep-18-10, 09:32
The best I've seen on this is from Teresa Tapp, an exercise physiologist who specializes in women and rehabilitative exercise.

She says you can't spot-reduce in terms of taking fat off a spot. But you can strenghten and tighten all the muscles that act like a "corset" around your middle. So your waist size can shrink even before the extra fat is gone, and even if your weight goes up from the new muscle.

Her T-Tapp muscle and fitness program has people losing 1-2 dress sizes a month. (probably the best reshapers are young and not too screwed up of course.)

The other interesting thing she says that I haven't heard from anywhere else: when we are sedentary, the muscles at their attachment points lose the ability to process glucose as well. Her program is designed to build muscles at attachment points so you improve the whole length of the muscle. Not just growing the muscle belly like traditional weight lifting.

She has a "Try before you buy" section where you can see how hard this stuff is when you try it.

jschwab
Sat, Sep-18-10, 13:18
I forgot about Callanetics, too. It's for anyone, any level and it can really shrink you. It's designed to be healing.

CallieM
Wed, Sep-22-10, 15:53
I'm at that stage of loss where jeans that fit my ass and thighs properly result in a bit of jolly overhang in front, heh. So I wear jeans a size too big and hitch them up all day. Would working my ab muscles actually do anything or will it just turn into fat with a layer of muscle underneath?

I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND. My jeans fit my waist and are loose in but/thighs, and the ones that fit in butt/thighs leave a very unattractive "muffin top".

I was always told that you cant spot tone. Building muscle though will eventually burn your fat. Where ever your body decides, is up to it...

Good luck!! :]