PDA

View Full Version : I neeeed heeeeeeelp

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

annalovesu
Thu, Apr-25-02, 07:12
Hi all,

I am confused. I can't lose weight. I have been trying to do it since like September, but instead of losing it I gained 4 more pounds. I need to lose about 20. I do everything right and everything seems going great, but then my cravings start and I can't control myself and I gain all the weight back. I have promised myself to do it already 10000 times, but nothing seems to work, I need to lose 20 pounds by July. Can you give me an advice what I can do to control myself??? I really need help. I am crazy for chocolate. I can do everything right and then after a week everything's the same. I am so stressed now that I cannot achieve my goal, if anyone can help me or say something about it, please let me know. My boyfriend's far away and I am going to see him this July, I wanna make him a surprise. Thanks everyone.

:thdown:

monika
Thu, Apr-25-02, 16:35
hey girl,
believe me, i understand how stressful this can be. i think number one you need to try to be patient. seriously, take a deep breath, and jsut tell yourself you know that you can do this as long as you stick to the plan. be proud of yourself as each day passes- even if it feels like it's going slow, dont worry, because once the weight comes off you'll prob be SO HAPPY you stuck through the tough beginning part!
I've been trying to stick to atkins so many times to lose 10 lbs, and i kept failing. this time I'm slowly breaking into it. The past few days I havent been counting carbs or calories, and i've stuck to everything thats basically legal, but not necessarily on induction- like nuts. tomorrow i think im ready to get serious and stick to induction. i know that once i get over my sugar addiction and coffee addiction, i will feel normal again.
stay strong. ! its tough. I have a binge eating problem, and it sucks to have this eating disorder. im trying really hard to get better, so i try to tell myself how the food is going to nourish my body and help my cells function and all that. its kinda like a mantra.
i stress so muich about this stupid 10 lbs, so i think i may actually go to a therapist because it's pathetic for me to stress like this. i think if you keep yourself a journal and express yourself in it, it may help you see what's wrong.
i dont really know what to tell you.!, i hope i can help, anything you want to talk about?
what have you been eating specifically? are you drinking enough water and eating enough fat?
definitely stay calm, follow the plan, treat your body well, and the weight will come off. dont stress it ( i know that is so much easier said than done because i continue to stress). i know how it feels. but let's be confident and happy that we found this way of eating that will bring us better and health and also a better figure. heheheheh=)
~monika

annalovesu
Sat, Apr-27-02, 11:05
Hi,

Thank you so much for your reply and everything. I will try my best to do everything right this time. Will you write me to kind of help me with your messages?? Like write how are you doing??? About your progresses and failures and all that kind of stuff that will make me believe in myself. I was at my cousin's birthday today I ate so many carbs and now I feel miserable, but I will do it. I will start all over from tomorrow and I WILL DO IT this time. I will lose those 20 pounds no matter what. Wish me luck cause I will need it. Well write back I would love to hear from you.
Take care,

Anna

nsmith4366
Sat, Apr-27-02, 11:20
HI.

You sound absolutely stressed and desperate and I'm here to tell you to relax, calm down, it's going to be okay and here's why.

First you need a plan. Every day.

Your first step is to decide that you already believe in yourself and that you already believe that you can do this and it is worth it.

Second, you need to forget that because if you eat enough fat on low carb you won't be hungry and you'll have self control.

Third - Do induction /2 weeks. Eat proteins and fats. Lots of fats. Enough fats so you won't be hungry. Don't be afraid to EAT. If you don't want to count carbs, and it is the easiest way, just eat meats, fats and dark green lowcarb veggies (2 cups per day and 1 salad a day). Boom. That's all there is too it. Add a little cheese if you like and eat cream, bacon - that's okay too.
EAT! If you are having cravings, then you aren't eating enough food period.

Okay - maybe you've done induction, but your out of control cravings are a real symptom that you are no longer in ketosis.
Do induction again - and enjoy it this time, butter on everything!

-------
You can do this. You want to. I know you do.

You need a mantra. What's that? A little saying. I say - "Protein/Fat and Fiber makes a Meal. " I say it everytime I eat. Everytime. I also say to myself "Sugar is poison", "Flour is poison". If something tempts me I pretend someone spit on it...ha ha ha or worse!

Carry things with you to help yourself. FAT pictures of yourself - tempted? Look at that picture quick! Then grab some cheese and eat up. Carry low carb food with you when you can. Not as hard as you think! Harbboiled eggs do travel well in the shell in a ziplock bag, meat can last a bit in a zip lock bag, cheese of course, pork rinds are everywhere these days...the list of portable snacks goes on and on...

====Oh you are doing all of these things? Great! If your only problem is that you are craving carbs, then eat more fat. Fat and protein will put you into ketosis and the cravings will stop. Don't deny yourself large full fatty meals of protein and fat - enjoy this way of eating.

Trying to help! :wave:

monika
Sat, Apr-27-02, 14:54
that was a great post there! i hope that helped you!

oh i know how hard this can be. i have trouble believing that i will ever get over the pleasure of eating sugar- but i am FORCING MYSELF not to have any for these 2 weeks to see if it is for real!!

Give it a shot! Imagine if in just 2 weeks you are carb craving FREE!
I tell myself, it just wouldn't be fair to not give this way of eating a chance!!
ANd I have to admit, that this past week, since Sunday, I have not had any real sugar. Up until thursday I was eating Lc bars and using splenda- but i've given it up for two days already and I dont miss them. I'm not craving chocolate !! I actually am not even thinking about it.
The only problem I have with this diet is getting used to eating basic foods like meat, fat, and veggies. I was a vegetarian for a while on and off and have never really liked meat too much, so eating this way is a challenge for me. That makes it especially difficult for me to stick to this plan.
But i'm doing it and i'm not giving up because there's always the chance that after another week or two, i will actually like this eating style. and i just repeat, it just wouldnt be fair to not give it a shot! otherwise, we'll never know!
i dont use that splenda or fake sugar stuff or make those different concoctions of fake sugar things, if i am going to have sugar, im goign to have the real thing. i personally feel that i need to do atkins completely sugar free in order for me to really feel great.
i personally think that once i lose the weight i will eat normally - im not sure- we'll see what happens. i may love eating like this and may not even want other foods!, who knows!

it cant hurt to stick it out. i also tell myself, it's just freakin food, how hard cna it be to go without some carbs for quite some time?
i use some mantras too, like "this food is nourishment for my body to make me healthier and happier"

good luck girl. stay strong! im 2 days with out sugar and i had a smallcoffee today with half and half , no sugar- IVE NEVER DONE THAT BEFORE!! i still sort of miss coffee with amaretto creamer and milk andsugar, but honestly it's not that bad of a missing- i swear. it seems to be getting easier. maybe im kidding myself, but maybe im not!! Im not giving up! i cant bear to have the guilt of knowing that i didnt give this woe a fair chance.
email me if you want!
monika~planet-save.com

I dont think ive lost any weight yet, but thats prob because ive been eating a bit too much and just gave up the LC bars on thurs. i'll be checking back here! hope to hear how you are doing.
believe me i know how it is, ive tried this induction thing like 6 times or so before this time, and quit after 2 to 3 days. this time im not even on induction totally, i think i may though do it starting tomorrow*i ate some nuts today and whole milk yogurt.
but im getting sort of more serious as the week progresses, setting more and more goals. so ill try to get through tomorrow totally induction style, especially since my sugar cravings have somewhat subsided- i may be able to do it!~ and i hope you can too!

nsmith4366
Sat, Apr-27-02, 15:34
Your first day with no sugar, meaning no sugar TASTE - no sweetener - no splenda - no sweet nothing - is the first day
you'll really feel free of it. Sugar is a drug. Your body reacts
to it just like a drug...then you crash from it and want more and more...never being able to sense or even feel fullness (which won't come without fats anyway).

Go forth with great power.

Another trick is to dedicate a day of your food menu to someone you love or to a famous person. "Today is dedicated to my Mom and I will eat in the knowledge that she believes in me and my ability to do this"...or..."I dedicate this day to bomb attack victims. I eat this way in a show of respect and empathy toward all victims of terrorism". It's a wonderful psychological trick and it works...besides broadening our awareness and appreciation for life. "This day is a testimony through my eating to my favorite singer __fill in blank_____, a real tribute to the way he/she has motivated me to be my best". Then every time you eat repeat SILENTLY who or what you devote your eating to today. I KNOW THIS SOUNDS NUTS - BUT it is similar to LENT or RAMADON - people have a higher cause/purpose/function/intention with why and when they eat - it becomes easier. For example - many jews practice/not kosher - don't eat it ---------or no pork on fridays...

just another device. Then when you really feel strong, dedicate a day of lowcarbing to YOURSELF because YOU DESERVE IT!!! :)

monika
Sat, Apr-27-02, 18:49
thank you. YOU ARE Right! I do deserve it!
and i will also do it in thanks to how fortunate i am to even be able to afford all these things i have. i shouldnt go spending my money on crappy sweets when people are starving=(

nsmith4366
Sun, Apr-28-02, 01:41
You shouldn't go spending money on crappy sweets because YOU ARE STARVING for a healthy low carb LIFE!!!

HUG HUG HUG - you can do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's another little saying for yourself -

Fat to stop my cravings
Protein breakfast lunch and dinner,
Veggies for the fiber
With low carb I'm a winner!

This kept me on track for the first 6 months.

annalovesu
Sun, Apr-28-02, 05:20
Thanks all so much, I wanna say that you can't even imagine how your replies and advices support me and give me power to DO IT RIGHT. I will follow each of your advices and I am sure that this time with your support I will really be able to do this. I think my problem was that I was so anxiuos to lose weight right away that whenever I stood on a scale and it showed that I haven't lost any pounds in 3 days I would become stressed and get mad at mysefl, I would go to the kitchen and eat all the CARBS and then after the job was done I would be like," Why on earth did I do that for? Maybe I should've waited for a while?" See I used to give up real fast and then regret and as we all know that what took me all the way back to the beginning. But now I realized that I have time and I need to be patient no matter what the scale shows me. If I haven't lost any weight that doesn't mean that I will never be able to do it. I think now I have figured out my problem, the thing is not in the cravings actually, the thing is in my angriness with the weight that won't go away. Now I have a plan and I will treat this with patience this time. Can anyone please tell me how much is the approximate weight they lose in one week? That would kind of help me, so I would know how much I should lose in a week, so I won't get angry and all that stuff. I think the average is about 5 pounds, is that right? I remember someone telling me that, but I am not sure. Correct me if I am wrong and please if you can share with me how much you are able to lose in a week on a low carb diet when you strictly stick to the plan???
Thanks a lot, and now that I know that I am not alone in the whole wide world having some problems it will be much more easier to DO THIS THIS TIME. And this will be my motto, " BELIEVE IT ACHIEVE IT" Wish the same to you, lets believe in ourselves and we will do it. I can't wait till I have the body that I have always dreamed of, I can't wait to feel great. Lose weight and feel great. Cause when you look great you feel great and that is what we all want.

Thanks everyone,

Anna :wave:

nsmith4366
Sun, Apr-28-02, 06:04
Your problem is your scale. Throw it out. Don't weigh yourself.
Judge your weightloss by your clothing.

If you don't do this, or put your scale away and only weigh once a week, you will only sabotage yourself. You will only set yourself up for failure again. Scale measures TOTAL weight. NOT JUST FAT. Everything your body uses, produces, creates and takes in AND PUTS OUT all weigh something - they all add up(muscle, food, excretions (water, food, sweat, urine, hair, even skin, blood) all have fluxations in your total weight daily...even hourly. Toss the scale. (Didyou know that even your height is shorter very slightly at the end of the day than when you woke up? Very slightly but it is.

You DO want your freedom from the numbers - don't you? You DON'T want to be standing on that box ASKING IT FOR PERMISSION TO CONTINUE TO LOVE YOURSELF RIGHT?
Why give up counting calories only to become a SLAVE to the numbers on the scale??? It's all just numbers. When you really lose weight the scale numbers might tell you (maybe), but the
CLOTHING FIT will NEVER LIE.

Please consider it.
Nsmith4366

annalovesu
Thu, May-02-02, 08:10
Thanks all for their replies. I threw away my scale now i hope everything will go right and I will lose those pounds. I think I m doing pretty good so far and I am very glad. I am starting to lose my appetite which means I am on my way to ketosis, isn't that great??? I wish you all the best. I follow the advice about imagining something, like if I wanna eat bread or choclate I imagine that someone has spit on it and I say yuuuuuuuuuk, no way I am gonna eat that, lol. It works. Thaaaaaaaaaanks. Please do keep writing I need your replies, you help me a loooooooot. Thanks again. :) :wave:

aggieamy
Mon, Jun-03-02, 15:19
How is it coming sweetie? :wave:

F.tuley
Mon, Jun-03-02, 18:06
I have two pictures on my fridge door,one i`m really fat,and the other i`m really slim,so it reminds me what i will be if i eat carbs,or if i don`t i can and will look like the slim one.
Well it helps me!
But everyone told you the right way to go,they know best!
Good luck
:wave: Fatima

VickiP
Thu, Jun-06-02, 09:30
Hi Anna,
You sound EXACTLY like me. I have a problem with the scale. If I weigh myself in three days and I haven't lost any weight, I get soooo frustrated, and I binge. I get this mentality that it's not working, why bother, etc. etc. I know that low carb is the only way to go for me b/c I am insulin resistant and cannot possibly lose by eating carbs. My problem is though, if I don't weigh myself then I have a tendency to binge more often b/c I don't have to worry about getting on the scale. It's like a no win situation. Hope you are doing well. I'm restarting induction again today. I am so determined to do it.
We'll see what happens!
Good luck everyone!
Tori

xXTubbyxX
Mon, Feb-07-05, 16:26
after i lose about 20 lbs maybe 15 lbs... do you think i will notice.. it..by the way if it helps anyone i set myselfsmall goals like only 2 or 3 lbs less..and when i reach it i work on 3 or 4 more lbs..it helps and make it seem like its going a little faster

juliedaher
Mon, Feb-28-05, 20:39
hi...i'm new to this site and i'm looking for major help. i have started to binge eat but i want to stop soon so that i dont have to see a doctor. any tips on how to stop the binge? advice wanted badly!!! thanx