PDA

View Full Version : Don't Read This

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

DCal
Wed, Sep-08-10, 14:56
Okay, that was blatant reverse psychology which apparently worked because you are reading this. I just kept thinking to myself, "what if, after lurking here for just over two months, I finally took the plunge to say hello, and nobody responded?" Then again, having lurked here for just over two months, I guess I know that, of course you will respond. In lurking here, I have come to know, in that strange, impersonal yet deeply personal way of the internet, a truly wonderful and supportive group of people. I am hoping to tap into that wonderful and supportive group of people, and to give and get that support on a regular basis.

I started in (again) on a low carb lifestyle on June 28, 2010. I discovered low carb eating in August 2006, and within weeks I was hooked. A good deal of my excess weight fell away, my energy soared, and I have never felt healthier. That should have been the happy ending. I should have sailed away into the low-carb sunset (or given all the energy I had, rowed my own low-carb boat into the sunset). But no fairy tale ending for me. Over time, unhealthy carbs increasingly slipped into my diet. I realize that last sentence was written entirely in a passive voice. As if the carbs forced their way in and I had nothing to do with it. Let me try that again... Over time, I inexplicably chose to include more and more unhealthy carbs in my diet. And then, in October 09, when a work assignment demanded that I travel more than half the year, I just gave in to eating whatever my hotel living, carb-addicted body demanded. Not good. I am not sure what was special about June 28, 2010. I know that I had a stressful day, but for some reason, before I could drown my stress in a sugar frenzy, I got on my elliptical for a half hour and thought about what I was doing. And in that half-hour, I thought about what worked and didn't work for me, and I knew that I had to turn myself back to this way of eating. As part of my commitment, I joined this site the next day, and have spent time each day for the past couple of months being more than a little inspired by the people here. I love the encouragement that is doled out with abandon. I love the tips and recipes and links. I love the honesty and authenticity. I love the humor. I love the profound insights. And I love that when I lurk here for a while each day, I realize that I am not unique or alone in this struggle. So hello and thank you to each of you. I look forward to continuing this journey with you. DCal

GlendaRC
Wed, Sep-08-10, 15:07
Welcome DCal! I wish you much success on your journey and I hope you stick with your plan through all the phases and, when you get to maintenance, I hope that you'll still hang out here, both for accountability and to encourage newbies!

Catchy title, but I'd have read it anyway -- this is my self appointed day to check out the introduction thread!

kellyd23
Wed, Sep-08-10, 15:16
Welcome Dcal.......You totally nailed me on the reverse psychology......Any way welcome,,,as you see many, many People fall off the wagon only to climb back up again once they have gained all there weight back plus 12 pounds like me! I'm back for support, advice, and many great recipes. Once again welcome...Until we meet again Kelly

ringamajig
Wed, Sep-08-10, 15:20
Hi D-Cal;

Welcome! I am so glad that you decided to stop lurking and join us. :lol:
Congrats on the weight loss to date, you are doing great.

Roxanne

DCal
Wed, Sep-08-10, 15:22
~Glenda - thank you. I was counting on you to say hello as I have seen you do that with all the newbies! Congrats to you on your own success. How long have you been in maintenance?
~Kelly - with 27 pounds gone, I am happy for you that you are back on your own personal track to success. I look forward to watching your continued success, and hopefully celebrating my own with you.

DaddioM
Wed, Sep-08-10, 15:27
Hi DC..
I realize that I am not unique or alone in this struggle. So hello and thank you to each of you. I look forward to continuing this journey with you. DCal This has been a big one for me. I've learned so much on this board, about struggles, about me.

Welcome!

Mike

DCal
Wed, Sep-08-10, 15:27
~Roxanne - thanks for the greeting and encouragement. You are also doing great - only 19 pounds until your goal. I look forward to catching up to you!

praizer4ev
Wed, Sep-08-10, 15:28
Dcal, you are a trip *W*...lol You got me. You just needed a laugh and a hug didn't you. Well, you got one from me. I'm new and I'm glad to be here. I've only be low-carbing one day and my knees feel better already. I've lost weight twice before on low-carb, years ago and fell off the lo-carb wagaon, but, it's the only way I can lose weight, so here I am on lo-carb again.
Please pray for my success as I pray for yours.
Blessings to you and all whom you love.

ringamajig
Wed, Sep-08-10, 15:30
~Roxanne - thanks for the greeting and encouragement. You are also doing great - only 19 pounds until your goal. I look forward to catching up to you!

Thanks DCal. Just don't forget to wave as you go by. :wave:

Rox

WereBear
Wed, Sep-08-10, 15:39
Yep, I lost a lot and kept it off for six years.

But a very stressful winter, and spandex pants... well, at least I didn't gain it ALL back.

Welcome!

DCal
Wed, Sep-08-10, 15:47
~Mike - I think that being overweight can be so, well, isolating. You put off activities, adventures, intimacies and experiences until that "someday when you have the weight off." The people here, no matter where they are on their journey, are just so full of life. I find that inspiring.
~Prazier - welcome fellow newbie. I wish you much success in your noble goal to lose the weight so that you may begin your missionary work again.
~WereBear - six years is amazing! We are all so terrifically, predictably, fallably human. I personally think it is wonderful that when we need to, we can dress up our flaws in a bright colored spandex package! Still, glad to see you are back on track.

GlendaRC
Wed, Sep-08-10, 17:44
~Glenda - thank you. I was counting on you to say hello as I have seen you do that with all the newbies! Congrats to you on your own success. How long have you been in maintenance?
~Kelly - with 27 pounds gone, I am happy for you that you are back on your own personal track to success. I look forward to watching your continued success, and hopefully celebrating my own with you.
It's only been about 2-1/2 years so far, although I've been low-carbing much longer than that. I took darn near two years to lose 40 lbs - can you say "slow loser"? That included a stall of almost a year - if it hadn't have been for this board, I'd have lost motivation and dropped out many times! Now, I feel I owe it to the forum to try to encourage others through the struggle!

moggsy
Thu, Sep-09-10, 03:25
Welcome, former lurker. :wave:

Great success so far. You've now learnt how not to maintain, so you're even more prepared this time.

DCal
Thu, Sep-09-10, 06:05
Hi Moggsy - thanks for the welcome. Where are you in the UK? I have friends in Worthing. Lovely seaside! BTW - you are doing an amazing job with your weight loss. D-

moggsy
Thu, Sep-09-10, 06:55
Yes, I currently live in London. I am an American, so I've never been to Worthing. I love the British seaside though. You never forget you're on an island (no matter which island you're on) in the UK, even when you live inland like I do. I just have to walk to the Thames and watch the tides come in and out if I forget.

Yeah I have lost a small human in weight. It's been a long slog, but even the long slogs are better than just gaining and gaining.

Best of luck with your journey.

Pale Lady
Thu, Sep-09-10, 07:28
Hi DCal and welcome! I'm one of those wagon faller-offers. :lol: I only need to lose about 20 pounds and I'm confident I'll succeed...it's only a matter of getting serious and focusing on what I *really* want: temporary and fleeting satisfaction (carby foods) or long lasting health and a positive lifestyle (low carb). Are you going to start a journal? Sometimes having a journal helps me with accountability. Cheers! http://planetsmilies.net/nature-smiley-5399.gif (http://planetsmilies.net)

mirinblue
Thu, Sep-09-10, 07:33
Hi! Welcome! I love it here and find it inspiring-I know you will too! :rheart:

Laura W
Thu, Sep-09-10, 08:36
Hello fellow Illinoisan. Best of luck to you.

pinkclouds
Thu, Sep-09-10, 09:00
Hi DCal!!

What a great introduction! I loved reading your first post, and it reminded me alot of me. And what timing, as I was just myself, reflecting on my first time with low carb and how great it felt and wondering why the heck I let that initial success slip away from me instead of riding it all the way to goal!

Here I am now, kind of stuck in the middle of my journey. I can not truly say I am plateaued, because I just haven't really been committed or trying that hard. But I am coming around the corner and I know it is time for me to be true to myself once again!

So welcome and Thank YOU for posting and tricking us all into reading this :D

katyw8y
Thu, Sep-09-10, 09:13
:lol: I just had to read it!! too funny!
Welcome :wave:
I am also here for all the support and wisdom that so many on here have. It is a great inspiration to read the success stories and the trials and tribulations of others on the same journey of weight loss. I still say I am new although I have been on here since April (I think). I am a pretty slow loser but then I have a continous struggle to stay focused on the task at hand. I will say, that, I quit smoking and have not really gained any weight!! I was freaked out about quitting because last time I did I gained 30 lbs!! Anyway I truly believe that this WOE is what is best for me!
Good luck and Congratulations on what you have already accomplished!
Katy

kellyd23
Thu, Sep-09-10, 10:31
It's only been about 2-1/2 years so far, although I've been low-carbing much longer than that. I took darn near two years to lose 40 lbs - can you say "slow loser"? That included a stall of almost a year - if it hadn't have been for this board, I'd have lost motivation and dropped out many times! Now, I feel I owe it to the forum to try to encourage others through the struggle!
You are very inspirational, many would have given up. I can see why golf is your game, you are very tenacious! :wave:

DCal
Thu, Sep-09-10, 15:25
~Trisha - Thanks for saying hello. I am thinking about the journal. It only took me a little over two months after joining this site to actually post, so I figure I might start a journal before New Years Day. If not, maybe that will be one of my resolutions.
~MirinBlue - Hi. I am definitely inspired by the folks here.
~LauraW - How does it feel to be more than 1/2 way to your goal?
~Pink - when I said in my post that my job required me to be more than half the time away from home, the place I was spending time was none other than Denver!
~Katy - 21 pounds gone AND you quit smoking. That is beyond awesome. I quit smoking 19 years ago and sometimes, I still smoke in my dreams. That is how strong the addiction is. I wonder if I am going to start eating carbs in my dreams. :)