PDA

View Full Version : Newcomer intro + Optimal Diet question

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Myrmecia
Wed, Sep-01-10, 19:03
Hi, I have been low carb since my 51st birthday: 1 January 2000. I have always been healthy and exercised vigorously and regularly. Not even a cold for the past 10 years. I have recently come across Jan Kwasniewski's "Optimal Diet" and would like to recommend it for my wife (61 yo, 209 lbs, 5'2"). However, she had her gall bladder removed 15 years ago and the gall bladder is, as you know, where bile is stored for the body's use in digesting fats. Kwasniewski's is, if anything, a high fat diet. I'd appreciate any advice on whether the Optimal Diet can be adopted successfully by someone without a gall bladder.

lizzyLC
Thu, Sep-02-10, 07:05
Welcome.

Here is a link to a OD thread:

Hello and welcome.

Here is a link to a OD thread.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=394793&highlight=Optimal

Best wishes.

cnmLisa
Thu, Sep-02-10, 08:46
I too would like to welcome you to the forum:wave:

I can't comment on the OD, but I can say that many (and I mean many) people here on the forum DO NOT have gallbladders and do beautifully on LC with fat percentages upward 60-80%.

Hopefully all those non-gallbladder people will chime in. (I still have mine...so far;) )

Progress not perfection.

Lisa

krystalr
Thu, Sep-02-10, 08:52
Hi hi!

I just had my gallbladder removed, and have functioned fine since (Atkins is high fat too...I'm typically 60-70% of calories from fat). Mine completely shut down about 6 weeks ago, doctor told me that sometimes with rapid significant weightloss, the gallbladder either becomes filled with stones or craps out.

Anyway, I've not had any problems eating "normally". :) This isn't going to be the same for everyone of course, but I think everyone that I have come across has been able to carry on well...might be a little transition period of working themselves back up, but that's the worst case I've seen.

Myrmecia
Sat, Sep-04-10, 01:43
Thank you, Krys. This is very encouraging. Has anyone else had a positive and successful experience eating high-fat without a gall bladder? Was there a 'breaking-in' period?