PDA

View Full Version : Day 3 of my first Induction: great to find a place with so many in the same boat!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Mollygizer
Wed, Sep-01-10, 12:27
:wave: Halfway through Day 3 of Induction... and I feel like it's time to stop lurking on the board and introduce myself. :)

My name is Molly, and I'm a 25 year old children's theatre actress. I was born in middle Tennessee, and made the big move 7 years ago to live here in New York City. I've battled weight problems all my life, supported by a combination of genetics and bad eating habits learned from an amazing but overindulgent Southern mother.

I've yo-yo-ed all of my adult life, normally getting down as low as 150 or 160 by eating basically nothing and exercising constantly, only to revert back to my old habits once I feel comfortable. I took a lot of ephedrine diet pills from ages 16-17, and while I lost weight like crazy, I've always feared it had permanent damage on my metabolism.

Flash to present day! I'm in a LTR with my DB, and we just moved in together this weekend to Ridgewood, Queens after 3.5 years of me living in Brooklyn and commuting back and forth to West Jersey to see him! A little over a year ago he became really fed up with his weight, so he adopted the Atkins lifestyle and got a gym membership. He's lost over 50 pounds so far, and gained a LOT of muscle. I've always heard such negative things about Atkins, but his results are impossible to deny. So I agreed that when we moved in together, I'd give it a try for at least 3 months to see if Atkins can work for both of us -- because two is always better than one, right?

I'm on day 3, and I feel really good about things so far. Having his support is very helpful. We cleaned out the fridge and went Atkins-only shopping. I'm a little disappointed that on my first Ketostix today, I was a dark peach, which I think means NEGATIVE ketones, grr... but I also ate one of the Atkins bars every night for dessert the past two evenings and I've read that can stall you, so I'm cutting that down to a once a week treat.

I'm at my highest weight ever... I am determined to make this work for me! :D

RAcaseal
Wed, Sep-01-10, 16:15
Yay, I'm glad that you are giving Atkins a try. I've been doing Atkins for about a month now, and my live-in boyfriend just started last week too after seeing me lose so much weight so quickly! It is definitely easier to do when you can both be each others' cheerleaders.

For induction, I would definitely stay away from Atkins bars. Just stick to meat, eggs, cheese, and veggies. And butter, mmm. Do you have Dr. Atkins' book? The 2002 version is the best IMHO and very helpful for sticking to the strict induction foods. (And it's also useful for explaining why Atkins works)

Good luck! :cool:

Mollygizer
Wed, Sep-01-10, 18:49
I really do need to actually read the book; so far my boyfriend has just sort of been coordinating my diet, since he's done it before. A little research can't hurt!

My first meal away from home tonight, so I packed a bag to take with me to work... a tupperware full of tuna, mayo, and a little sugar-free relish, 3 hardboiled eggs, and a full fat cheesestick! Yum! :)

Chris_D
Wed, Sep-01-10, 19:33
Welcome Aboard! :wave:

This is an excellent program with so many benefits, weight loss is just one of many!

Rather than wishing you "good luck", I wish you "good choices".

Cheers,

~ Chris ~

kellyd23
Tue, Sep-07-10, 20:13
:wave: Halfway through Day 3 of Induction... and I feel like it's time to stop lurking on the board and introduce myself. :)

My name is Molly, and I'm a 25 year old children's theatre actress. I was born in middle Tennessee, and made the big move 7 years ago to live here in New York City. I've battled weight problems all my life, supported by a combination of genetics and bad eating habits learned from an amazing but overindulgent Southern mother.

I've yo-yo-ed all of my adult life, normally getting down as low as 150 or 160 by eating basically nothing and exercising constantly, only to revert back to my old habits once I feel comfortable. I took a lot of ephedrine diet pills from ages 16-17, and while I lost weight like crazy, I've always feared it had permanent damage on my metabolism.

Flash to present day! I'm in a LTR with my DB, and we just moved in together this weekend to Ridgewood, Queens after 3.5 years of me living in Brooklyn and commuting back and forth to West Jersey to see him! A little over a year ago he became really fed up with his weight, so he adopted the Atkins lifestyle and got a gym membership. He's lost over 50 pounds so far, and gained a LOT of muscle. I've always heard such negative things about Atkins, but his results are impossible to deny. So I agreed that when we moved in together, I'd give it a try for at least 3 months to see if Atkins can work for both of us -- because two is always better than one, right?

I'm on day 3, and I feel really good about things so far. Having his support is very helpful. We cleaned out the fridge and went Atkins-only shopping. I'm a little disappointed that on my first Ketostix today, I was a dark peach, which I think means NEGATIVE ketones, grr... but I also ate one of the Atkins bars every night for dessert the past two evenings and I've read that can stall you, so I'm cutting that down to a once a week treat.

I'm at my highest weight ever... I am determined to make this work for me! :D
Good luck Molly, with your db since he is a pro, you should have no problem! I would stay away from the Atkins bar during induction too many carbs...Of course you can add them in later, but for right now I would stick with the induction only ......it helps to get that weight rolling off, and its only for a while :wave: Kelly

kellyd23
Tue, Sep-07-10, 20:14
Good luck Molly, with your db since he is a pro, you should have no problem! I would stay away from the Atkins bar during induction too many carbs...Of course you can add them in later, but for right now I would stick with the induction only ......it helps to get that weight rolling off, and its only for a while :wave: Kelly
Oh yeah, it took me about 72 hours of pure induction before my keto stix turned purple. :D