PDA

View Full Version : Hi there

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

J.Ettinger
Wed, Sep-01-10, 04:22
So a little about myself. My name is Jessica, I'm married and we have 3 children. My husband is in the US Navy. We are currently stationed on Okinawa which is a small island in the pacific and a Japanese prefecture.
Growing up I was never the girl that had weight issues. I was tiny, ate what I wanted and never thought twice about it. You can imagine how shocked I was when I got pregnant and all that came to a grinding stop. By the end of it I had a beautiful baby girl and 60lbs to drop.
My grandmother was actually the one who introduced me to the idea of low carb. At the time I didn't pay much attention but my stepmother did. She dropped 40lbs and that sure caught my attention! I decided to give it a go and by the time my daughter turned 1 I had dropped all the weight from having her. It wasn't something I stuck with though. I returned to eating carbs just being more conscience about them.
I didn't gain back a single pound until I got pregnant with my son. I did better during my pregnancy with him and kept my weight gain around 40lbs. After he was born I was slowly dropping weight when to my surprise I found myself pregnant AGAIN! My son was only 5 months old and we had just received our orders to Okinawa. My pregnancy with my youngest daughter was stressful, we flew from Florida to Okinawa when I was 7 months pregnant, we lived in a base hotel for nearly 2 months before getting into a house. During that time we pretty much lived off fast food and convenient snacks. After she was born I was doing okay losing the weight I gained having her. I had gained 40lbs but hadn't lost all my pregnancy weight from her brother so I was big. Bigger then I'd ever been in my life. I started getting depressed, not only from the weight but from living overseas as well. I was isolated, living off base surrounded by my Japanese neighbors, away from my family and my husband worked long hours. I just gave up for awhile and gained 20lbs. Recently I've been diagnosed with the beginning of liver disease and I'm also in the pre diabetic phase. That news has finally lit a fire under my butt and I'm returning to the only diet that's ever worked for me. I've been doing it a week now and have lost 3lbs! So anyways that's me. Nice to "meet" you, LOL.

Purr1050
Wed, Sep-01-10, 04:44
Hi, nice to meet you. I am on the first week also, just started last Friday. I did something like this when I was in my 20s briefly and did start losing weight, but I think I stopped because I listened to critism that it was unhealthy. So young, so impressionable! I also gained weight with my first pregnancy, but I started out overweight. I finally got down to somewhat reasonable, then got pregnant again and didn't gain too much, and lost it fairly easily after he was born. Just this last year I have started gaining a lot, even though I am going to the gym and walking and generally exercising a lot more than I ever have before. Until now, I wasn't losing anything, maybe would have gained more without exercising. I am going to weigh myself this morning but as of Sunday I lost 2 1/2 lbs. from Friday, I'm sure mostly water at this point, but more than I have seen with anything else I have tried in over 6 months!

Good luck, and if you would like we can keep in touch!

J.Ettinger
Wed, Sep-01-10, 04:56
Oh that would be nice, we can be weight loss buddies! LOL I need someone to keep on me. I have so many temptations surrounding me but I've managed to stay firm so far.

OT but your location says you're in Georgia. My family lives there and my oldest was born there. We lived up in northern GA, beautiful place.

Purr1050
Thu, Sep-02-10, 04:35
Yes, I live in NE GA, we took a ride up to Asheville this summer and went through some pretty country. We saw Tallulah Falls, not sure if I spelled it right. I have lived here a little over 4 years. We are in the foothills, but not a far drive and you are in the mountains.