PDA

View Full Version : Induction phase

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

susieqgc1
Sun, Aug-29-10, 13:31
Hello everyone...My name is Susan and I am starting the Atkins diet tomorrow. Perhaps I am asking this too soon but I have seen some post on here in regards to calorie counting also. Do I need to count calories as well as carbs? I do take thyroid meds and am so hoping I can lose weight on this plan. I weigh 235 lbs. and am only 5'2". We are taking our grown sons and our only grandchild to Disney World next December 2011. I know I will not be able to keep up with everyone if I don't lose this weight. I know for health reasons I need to lose it also. I have tried everything and nothing seems to work. I do have alot of trouble with water retention. The last diet I was on I started walking 4 out of 7 days and walking any where from 40 to 60 minutes and eating very low calorie and I would lose 3 lbs then gain 4 lbs back the next week, doing the identical food plan. I do believe this was probably water weight but it is very discouraging. I will be so happy if I can follow this diet and actually lose the weight.

Thank you all for being here.

Lisa in RI
Sun, Aug-29-10, 13:43
Hi Susan, my name is Lisa and I too will begin my low carb diet tomorrow. I should say get back on my low carb diet tomorrow. I've done lots of diets in the past and Low carb is the only one I can stick to. I wouldn't worry about calories at first. I wouldn't binge but eat when you're hungry and satisfied. The weight will come off. I do find that the closer I get to my weight goal the more I have to watch the calories. My goal is 50 pounds and I have the last 20 to take off.

Good luck! You can do it!

Indigohill
Sun, Aug-29-10, 17:06
I just posted above you. I'm restarting my LC tomorrow as well. Carrying an extra 50+ lbs has changed my life.

This week I found myself rolling onto my knees in order to get up from sitting in the grass with my son. (Eeewww) I don't recognize myself in the mirror anymore. My walks have slowed to ambles. I am embarassed.

However, I do know that this diet has been a big help with my water retention in the past, so I'm looking forward to that !!

Chin up and let's have some fun here. I bet you'll be surprised at how much better you'll feel and how much weight you will have lost by even December this year.

Nice to "meet" you, Eilee

CassieKit
Sun, Aug-29-10, 17:46
I am trying to lose at least 40 lbs. I am also an "ambler" instead of a walker. All year, I have been promising myself this is it. I have to do something,Hopefully. tomorrow I will stay with it. I don't seem to stop and think about what I shove in my mouth and how it will make me feel. I don't work much right now but it seems at noon, especially, I am not home so I will stop somewhere and eat what I shouldn't. Also, I got used to carrying Atkins bars and don't know think they help with cravings...maybe cause them. I am promising myself to read some of the Atkins book to keep me motivated. I also will keep checking here to get some encouragement and pass some around. Good luck,,,nice talking to ya!

JohnGibson
Sun, Aug-29-10, 18:20
Hi guys!

Welcome to the Best Low Carb Forum in the UNIVERSE.

Here you will find lots of advice, and lots of information. Please keep an open mind. People will share what has worked for them and some will share what doesn't work for them.

I noticed that both of you have listed Atkins as your plan. One of the biggest suggestions that I have is that you get your Atkins book and dust it off, and read it our re-read it. Why, because it will not only help you know what is going on with the Atkins way of eating, but it will tell you why its working.

If you do not have a book then I suggest that you go to half.com, or amazon.com and pick up a used copy. I personally use the Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution which was updated in 2002. These books can be had for about 4 bucks with shipping.

Many people (myself included here) have mistaken Atkins as only Phase 1, which is induction. However there are three other phases to this, each of them highly important and each one of them will give you insights to helping you lose the weight and keep it off forever

The second suggestion that I have is to start a journal. Post in it and visit other people journals and build up online friendships. These people will be there to support you when you feel like you can't do it, and they will celebrate your victories.

Instructions on starting a journal are here:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=187389

My final suggestion is to use an online tool for tracking your food. My favorite is here on this site and is called MYPLAN. I use it to track my food to see what I am eating each day. Other people prefer fitday, but like I said my favorite is MYPLAN which is found here:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/myplan.php

Finally you were talking about counting calories. To be honest, if you are working the program and getting exercise then you probably don't have to, if you find you aren't losing then you may want to look at your calorie intake. However, we can cross this bridge when you get to it.

Welcome to this new journey!

John

CassieKit
Mon, Aug-30-10, 08:25
John, thanks for all the input. Very helpful. I have tried to enter food in my plan and must be doing something wrong. When I search for "eggs" as an example, I can't get regular eggs to appear just a frozen version. I don't know how to enter items manually either. Little technically challenged LOL! Thanks!

JohnGibson
Mon, Aug-30-10, 08:26
Cassie,

Enter egg singular.

You will find it.

susieqgc1
Mon, Aug-30-10, 17:34
Oh, I can see I am going to enjoy this forum very much. Already people have been so kind and helpful. Thanks to everyone for their words of encouragement.

CassieKit
Mon, Aug-30-10, 18:24
Thanks, John!!!

toquee
Mon, Aug-30-10, 20:50
I just started back on Low Carb. I follow mostly the original Atkins because that's what I know but I am getting the new version shortly. When I work LC, LC works and better then anything else for me. It can be done. I've lost 35 pounds in two months (and 10 so far this month which begins on the 11th) but I am walking or cycling full strength an hour a day and doing calisthenics as well as counting calories. Your results may be better or less then mine of course. One thing I do know is when I started I had literally half of me to lose and good Lord willing I'm determined! Great to join you.

CassieKit
Tue, Aug-31-10, 06:01
Toquee-I also follow the original Atkins because it also is what I know....I have lost 20# before...Have lot more to lose this time. But besides losing weight, do you find Atkins also makes you feel better without all the carbs? I know at first I feel worse but shortly after I have an increase in energy level and even a mood adjustment? Congrats on your weight loss so far.

CassieKit
Tue, Aug-31-10, 15:13
Do you subtract fiber from carbs to calculate how many carbs you had for the day? Hope everyone is doing well today.

hanfordian
Tue, Aug-31-10, 16:26
yup! you do

CassieKit
Tue, Aug-31-10, 18:50
Thank you1

toquee
Wed, Sep-01-10, 05:46
Hi Cassie, I don't feel much different with or without carbs unless I way overeat them but they do affect my weight loss so apparently my system doesn't handle them efficiently. Glad to meet you. Good luck. I have alot to go myself,

jamiSonu
Wed, Sep-01-10, 05:58
thank you soo much john, ur words of encouragement. n for tips on keeping a journal.
thank you for all u kind people out there. :)

CassieKit
Thu, Sep-02-10, 08:22
We 'll keep on plodding along here losing 1# is better than none. I just need to keep adding to my weight loss without becoming discouraged. I guess in my old age I've lost patience...and give up way before my goal. Good luck to everyone

susieqgc1
Thu, Sep-02-10, 13:11
Well, it's day 4 and I can't believe I have lost 6 lbs.!! I got on and off the scale three times, I couldn't believe it. I'm just hoping this isn't a fluke and I'll continue to lose. I'm really determined so wish me more luck.