PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Arielle
Thu, Aug-26-10, 09:09
Hello all! I'm new here and I started trying to do the Atkins diet about a week ago but ate more carbs than I could have during the first two days because I miscalculated :( lol ...

I've been trying to lose weight I gained 2 and a half years ago and now I'm hoping to stick to low carb and reach my goal weight. I came across this forum because I was calculating carbs in cocoa which has 19.6g carbs, 0.6g sugars and 28.1g fibre... This didn't make any sense to me because there's more fibre than carbs! If anyone can explain that to me I'd be happy :)

Although I found the forum trying to answer a question, I'm really happy that I found a supportive online community for my diet! :) Looking forward to being part of it! :) xx

Aims
Thu, Aug-26-10, 15:11
Im new here and this will be my third attempt with Atkins. I am four days into my new lifestyle change. Came across this community and found out that I am not alone! I have a TON of weight to lose and a recent health scare has me doing a 180 with my way of living and eating. I just know I can make it with a little support from others. Thanks for your stories, encouragement and recipes.

Rosebud
Thu, Aug-26-10, 17:20
I came across this forum because I was calculating carbs in cocoa which has 19.6g carbs, 0.6g sugars and 28.1g fibre... This didn't make any sense to me because there's more fibre than carbs! If anyone can explain that to me I'd be happy :)

I am going to make a wild guess here that you don't live in the US. ;) Because it is only in America that the fibre is not subtracted from total carbs. That means that the 19.6 is really the net carb count, because the fibre has already been subtracted.
I'm not sure how much cocoa that is, because unsweetened cocoa only has (from memory) about 2 net carbs per teaspoon.

Welcome to both of you. :)

ringamajig
Thu, Aug-26-10, 17:31
Hello. :wave:

Welcome to both of you. This is an awesome site for lots of support, advise and some really good recipes also.

Roxanne

Arielle
Fri, Aug-27-10, 03:09
I am going to make a wild guess here that you don't live in the US. ;) Because it is only in America that the fibre is not subtracted from total carbs. That means that the 19.6 is really the net carb count, because the fibre has already been subtracted.
I'm not sure how much cocoa that is, because unsweetened cocoa only has (from memory) about 2 net carbs per teaspoon.

Welcome to both of you. :)

Thanks a lot! Yesterday I did actually find somewhere which said the same and that's a plausible answer :) It's nice to hear it from another source too!

Just so you know... it's Tesco cocoa I was lookin at :) The values I pasted were for a 100 grams of it not a teaspoon. In a 4g teaspoon this seems to have 0.78g of carb. That's great news for my chocolate addiction!