PDA

View Full Version : Baked "Potato"

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Buttoni
Tue, Aug-24-10, 09:31
If you've never done turnips this way, you've just GOT to try this next time you charcoal steaks!!

http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2010/08/20/baked-potato/

Buttoni
Fri, Sep-24-10, 13:04
Full Recipe:

I wish I could take credit for this recipe, but another low-carber brought this up on our forum recently. I finally was able to find a moderately large turnip in the grocery store and tried this tonight. Man, oh man! This tastes JUST like a sweet, baked red skin potato! No taste of turnip to me at all, not even in the peeling! Now this comment is coming from someone who for YEARS picked the turnips out of the turnip green pot; who didn’t care for turnips stir-fried much either, because the bitterness often seen in turnips came out more in boiling and frying methods of cooking, in my opinion. But I tell you, the way to cook these things is to BAKE them!!! No taste of turnip at all! Just the creamy, sweet taste of a buttery red potato! And the skin is textured about like a potato skin, but it doesn’t get crispy in a microwave. I’m going to bake them in an oven next time (which would take longer) to see if the skin will crisp up a bit! And my husband, who detests turnips even agreed they don’t taste like turnips cooked this way! So now I can have my baked “potato” with my charcoaled steaks! I’m soooooo delighted to have discovered this method of cooking turnips!

INGREDIENTS:

2 whole 8 oz. turnips
8 tsp. butter (4 tsp. allowed for each turnip/serving)

DIRECTIONS:

Wash and scrub the turnip under running water. Trip the stem end flat and cut the point off the tip of the turnip as well. Poke the turnip skin several times to avoid rupturing during cooking. Place on microwave turntable. Cook on HI for about 3 minutes. Turn over and cook on HI for about 3 more minutes. They should be thoroughly soft when done. Split and place 2 tsp. butter on each half. You can also add the traditional baked potato toppings like sour cream, cheese, bacon bits and chives/green onion. Those additions, however, are not calculated in the nutritional info below.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Serves 2, each serving contains:

230 calories
20.5 g fat
11.2 g carbs
4.4 g fiber
6.8 g NET CARBS
1.7 g protein
602 mg sodium

dmarie328
Tue, Sep-27-11, 18:48
Made this tonite...wow I like them better than potatoes..thank you!

kitana89
Tue, Sep-27-11, 22:53
Can anyone tell me if these really kind of taste like potatoes. I know there are a variety of turnips out there and the only kind i've ever tried were daikon turnips and to me they taste unpalatable. What kind of turnips would be most appropriate for this recipe?

edit: nevermind I just realized that a Daikon is a radish not a turnip. I guess I'll really have to try this since i've never tasted a turnip before

leemack
Wed, Sep-28-11, 04:57
Can anyone tell me if these really kind of taste like potatoes. I know there are a variety of turnips out there and the only kind i've ever tried were daikon turnips and to me they taste unpalatable. What kind of turnips would be most appropriate for this recipe?

edit: nevermind I just realized that a Daikon is a radish not a turnip. I guess I'll really have to try this since i've never tasted a turnip before

Swede or swedish turnip is great (not sure what you call it there), I've never tried baking it, but I peel it, chop it into 1cm ish cubes, put in a saucepan of cold water, bring to the boil, simmer for 20-30 minutes, drain thoroughly in a colander, then mash with salt, pepper and butter - utterly delicous.

I'll try baking it, and see how that works next time.

Lee

Buttoni
Wed, Sep-28-11, 13:46
For me, baking these in the microwave this way is the ONLY way they really taste like potatoes. All other methods of preparation have them tasting like turnips to me. I even found oven baking not to be quite as good as microwave baking.....but don't really know or understand why. But the one time I baked them in the oven, they still tasted like turnips to me. The ones I buy for this are shown here:

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc278/buttonbutt/Turnips.jpg

kitana89
Wed, Sep-28-11, 15:18
I assume microwaving makes it taste closer to mash potatoes because when you microwave food you are increasing the frequency in which the water molecules in the food vibrate. In short, that means you are breaking down the food quickly in less time than it would by conventional cooking.

freckles
Wed, Sep-28-11, 17:05
I really must find room in my kitchen for a microwave!

Buttoni
Thu, Sep-29-11, 08:54
That's probably it, Kitana. All I know is they're GOOD! :)