PDA

View Full Version : Freaked Out Newbie here(Calories?)

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

djbout
Tue, Aug-17-10, 12:18
Hello Fellow Low Carbers,

This is my second time doing Atkins, and first time using a forum such as this for support and tracking. I did loose about 20lbs the first time on this plan but had no idea how many calories I was eating, so I found the "My P.L.A.N" on this site and punched in the numbers yesterday and WOW I was blown away by how many total calories I consumed.

2082 total calories
18.9g Carbs 9 (28.2 total less 9.3g fibre)

Is this ok, should I be worried by my total calorie count? Or just keep tabs on my carbs?? I should mention that the first time around I did keep track of carbs "less fibre" to come to my total daily carb count and it seemed to work.

Thanks
Dianne

sondora88
Tue, Aug-17-10, 12:33
Hello, welcome to the forum! This is the first one I've joined for this kind of support too, and the people here are great!

My personal opinion is that I wouldn't worry too much about total calories -- what's more important is to make sure you are eating until you're full, and to stop when you are. :)
Something I really had trouble with at first!
I think its good to be aware of your total calories, but keeping tabs on carbs and where those are actually coming from would be first on my list.

JohnGibson
Tue, Aug-17-10, 12:37
Don't freak on the calories....

Eat until you are satisfied. As you low carb you will be less hungry, and you will require less food.

At some point in the process you will look up and ask "Is it lunch already"

Also export your MYPLAN stuff to BB Code and post it here. We can look at what you are eating and make some suggestions.

John

djbout
Tue, Aug-17-10, 13:59
Hey Peoples,

Thanks for the answers, I have never really kept track of calories, ever, so was a little concerned.

I have changed the settting in the My P.L.A.N. so that if you look at my public profile you can view my My P.L.A.N., I hope thats what you meant JohnGibson, because I dont have a clue what "BB Code" is, LOL.

The first time around I weighed in every morning but I am thinking about weighing once a week this time, for me I think this is the best way, for now, so I am really looking forward to next Sundays weigh-in. TY

JohnGibson
Tue, Aug-17-10, 14:02
If you look down toward the bottom of MYPLAN there are three export options.

1) To your journal, if you have one, this is the easiest, it will post the day's food to your journal.

2) BBCode, this will give you a window of code like stuff. Simply click your pointer in the window, right click on your mouse and choose "Select all" and then copy.

Then you can post it on any thread here in the forum.

John

JohnGibson
Tue, Aug-17-10, 14:10
A few suggestions:

Atkins doesn't add nuts until rung 4 (I think.. I will have to check) of on going weight loss, so this may be one of the reasons.

The sugars are something that I wouldn't voluntary add to eating. I get my sugars from the foods, rather than the cain sugar.

also you at 618 cals and 23.2 Carbs (18.3 net carbs) If you are on induction then you are really close to your 20 carbs per day limit.

John

djbout
Tue, Aug-17-10, 16:37
Hi John,

The sugar today, well, that was kinda un-planned, someone moved the splenda packs at work, and since i dont drink coffee at home before work, I caved and threw in one cube in each of my coffees, ( My Bad).

The nuts, well haven't been able to find my Atkins book so I just kinda started eating what I remember eating last time, meat, cheese, butter, cream, spinach, broccoli, nuts and berries ( haven't touched my stash of frozen blueberries yet though).

It is funny though its 3:30pm here and I have not eaten since this am ( 10am'ish) and I am still not hungry.

JohnGibson
Tue, Aug-17-10, 17:21
Welcome to ketosis!