PDA

View Full Version : Blood Sugar Levels

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

annaL
Wed, Apr-24-02, 04:44
My hubby was told to go on a low carb diet as his blood sugar level was a bit high. It was 7.8. What is the normal level?

doreen T
Wed, Apr-24-02, 06:08
7.8 mmol/L is high if it was a fasting sample, ie, the blood drawn after 8 hrs with no food or drink except water. Normal fasting blood sugar is 3.6 to 7.0.

I've read your other posts, and see that you will be helping your husband with his low carb diet :thup:, specifically Atkins. That program will help for sure. You (and he) will also find Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0316093440/lowcarbcanad/) very informative to read; your library might have a copy that you could borrow. He explains how a careful low-carb diet and tight blood sugar control can prevent many of the complications associated with diabetes and poorly controlled high blood sugars. There are some exerpts from the book posted at his website (http://www.diabetes-normalsugars.com/), you can check it out, but the most useful information is found in the book itself. Your husband may wish to follow Atkins' program, but use Bernstein's guidelines for monitoring and controlling blood sugars.

Does your husband have a home glucose monitoring kit? That would really be helpful to him for tracking his sugars and how and what foods cause him to spike, dip etc. Dr. Bernstein explains in detail about using these, and how to track and interpret the results. You can buy a monitor and accessories at any pharmacy that carries diabetic supplies; you don't need a prescription. I'm aware that some manufacturers have special offers whereby if you purchase the test strips directly from them, the cost of the monitoring machine will be reimbursed. I checked all the models on display at my local Walmart, and most had a 1-800-number or web address for more information. The test strips are expensive, but ultimately less costly than having your husband develop full-blown diabetes and the costs of medications, possibly insulin and other other negative consequences.

Doreen

Oldsalty
Thu, Apr-25-02, 07:28
I recently replaced my old glucometer with a new "One Touch Ultra" by Lifescan. I found that the test strips on this model work extremely well needing a lot less blood than my previous machine. The strips have a capillary action that pulls the blood straight in.
Using a glucometer helps to establish your diet for your individual needs by showing foods that raise your blood sugar, my favorite test is about 30 minutes after a meal. If the test shows around 100-110 (USA Measures) then you know that the choice was good.

JJHend
Sat, Apr-27-02, 09:11
Be sure to check with your insurance company about the Glucose monitor and strips. I got both my monitors free and I only pay a copay for my test strips. I also get education classes and seminar invitations.
:thup: