PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Omnomnom
Fri, Aug-06-10, 06:35
I am not new to low carb, but I'm giving it a new honest go. I hope Im not another passing name that comes and goes in a blink. I feel like I have the motivation needed.

I lost about 30 pounds on Atkins 4 years ago. I spent the last four years gaining it back. I'm back up to 200-210(haven't weight myself in awhile, but i remember how these 38's used to fit. Just like they do now.) I want to approach things a bit different this time.

Last time was a crash diet. I went into it thinking that. I used to say I was taking "Corrective measures" meaning it was an extreme I was doing short term.

What my wife and I discovered through the process was how good we felt and how promising that woe was.

I've wanted to come back for awhile. I guess it took me looping to a new belt hole to realize how unhealthy I'm letting myself get.

I'm going to try to find a way that this doesnt feel like a diet, and I'll have a number of questions.

I just wanted to start with a hello!

Omnomnom!

krystalr
Fri, Aug-06-10, 07:24
Love the username! ;)

Welcome to the group. You'll find everyone here really helpful and encouraging.

My husband and I started in November of last year. He's lost 110lbs, and I've lost nearly 85. I think what will help keep your momentum going is to realize that this really does need to be a lifestyle change rather than just a "diet". If you just go back to eating the way you were prior, well....you'll end up back where you were. It's just the way it goes.

Once you get into a groove, it's really easy to stay on track. Work through all stages of the plan (too many people see Atkins as Induction only, and never learn how to reintroduce things back into their diets). You'll find success again!

Wishing you the best!

Omnomnom
Fri, Aug-06-10, 07:50
Thank you Krys. Thats really amazing what the two of you have accomplished. Yea, last time was a few months of induction. What I did was allowed myself cheat days. days where I could have whatever I wanted. I cook lots, and not being able to make my dough based things is a hard sacrifice. but i realize very clearly that my mind doesnt work with cheat days. It's jsut a foot in the door to giving in to the same 'ol.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm starting on induction levels, but I'm seriously considering an adapted cad once a week as my cheat day, but I'm afraid of it being to much temptation to bring me down.

I know you hear it all the time, but its so hard to think I'll not be able to eat my home made pepperoni bread, you know? :)

but still, thats for later. for now induction. I'm on board!

Omnomnom!

krystalr
Fri, Aug-06-10, 08:00
It's hard. I was an avid baker, and I miss it. Every now then then, I will have a bite of something (like yesterday...we had Mediterranean food catered at work for Happy Hour, and I had some hummus and a piece of pita bread), but the weekly thing, or "scheduled" cheat was too hard for me to handle. It just kept all those cravings alive and kicking, and made it really hard to look past. Some people can do it successfully...I'm not one of them. It for sure wakes that monster and leads to really poor choices for me. If it's a one off, random thing, I'm ok with it. Mental thing, I 'spose.

If I do cheat, I try to make it a small one. Like, I'll have rice and beans at the Mexican restaurant rather than having a mountain of chips and a chimicahnga or burrito with the rice and beans too. Or I'll allow myself a really bad fruity drink like a Mai Tai instead of my usual water only routine...things like that. It allows me wiggle room, but keeps me restrained at the same time. We all find what works for us :)