PDA

View Full Version : So I'm new...

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

rachelrain
Wed, Jul-21-10, 03:04
and I'm gluten free as well as vegetarian.

new as of Sunday-ish for the former, about 8 months in for the latter and still occasionally getting surprised by things. I do not relish the idea of shopping for food with all of the extra scrutinizing I'll need to do.

hm. anyways, I'm really not sure what to say here. I'm Rachel, I'm 27, and I'm hoping going low carb will not only help me lose weight but make it a little easier for me to start out this new gluten free lifestyle of mine.

ack, I'm already depressed at the thought of never being able to have wheat bread again.

if I missed anything, let me know! :) :waves: hi.

Ayustar
Wed, Jul-21-10, 03:25
Just wanted to stop in and say 'Hi!' and also, good luck!!! This board is tremendously knowledgeable and friendly!

It does get easier, and you won't really think about wheat bread!! There are so many better options than that anyways! I want to try buckwheat flour bread! It looks like it would be good!

And Carl Sagan FTW!!!

SammyJo10
Wed, Jul-21-10, 07:19
Hi! Welcome aboard! I am new to the group as well. Good Luck! I am on the atkins. Stay Strong!

Chris_D
Wed, Jul-21-10, 09:09
Welcome Rachel! :wave:

You have found a GREAT place to share your journey to a healthy lifestyle. The support here is second to none!

Continued success!

Cheers,

~ Chris ~

capmikee
Wed, Jul-21-10, 09:20
and I'm gluten free as well as vegetarian.

new as of Sunday-ish for the former, about 8 months in for the latter and still occasionally getting surprised by things. I do not relish the idea of shopping for food with all of the extra scrutinizing I'll need to do.
I sympathize. I tried to be gluten free and vegetarian for a short time before I started Atkins. It was a miserable and scary time, always looking for substitutes for the "real thing," and discovering how much garbage there is in our food.

Finally I gave in and embraced my love of meat - a whole, unprocessed food that can be produced sustainably and humanely. Barbara Kingsolver's "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" helped me with that. Now I have a lot less stress in my life and I don't miss wheat bread at all. In fact, it sort of nauseates me, just like some vegetarians I've known are nauseated by meat.

If you've only been gluten-free for a couple days, you're probably still experiencing withdrawal symptoms. Hang in there - that will get a LOT better.