PDA

View Full Version : Glad to be here finally!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

betsywcnm
Mon, Jul-05-10, 07:33
Hi all,
I've been lurking here for three weeks but wasn't able to get the e-mail generated so that I could actually join in, finally today it worked! I think the quality of discussion on this forum is superior!

The knowledge and support has helped me so much already. I know I need patience, particularly this week.

At almost 50yo & 5'4", I'm learning that weight loss can be trickey in "older" women and that's discouraging, but great to know it can be normal to lose more slowly...and that I need to watch my calories unlike last time I did this 10 years ago. (have gained and lost 35-50# three or four times in the last 30 years).

I'm doing the Atkins plan ('92 version basically) really clean and am SOOOO grateful to NOT have the cravings anymore...it really wasn't my lack of willpower...it was my biochemistry! (I want to shout this from the rooftops!)

I've been using Fitday religiously and I think that helps enormously! I can look back and say...OK...you're doing this right... (I think)

I lost 11# in the first two weeks but only one this third week...that's discouraging....but again...I'm learning patience. Here's basically what I've been doing...

Cals: 1400-1500
NET Carb: 9-17gm
All Carb: 11-22gm (no frankenfoods, almost all of these from veges, cheese limited to 4 oz day)

Ratios: 65-70% fat
3-7% carb
22-30% protein
~2 packets sweet n low in tea
plenty of water

Any advice is WELCOMED!! I'm so glad to finally be here!

BetsyW
Athens, GA

moondaught
Mon, Jul-05-10, 07:40
Hi Betsy, welcome!

Yes, weight loss in women of our age is certainly trickier than for younger women (I'm 51) but it can be done.

Your stats look good to me - are you watching calories? That's one thing I've never done since starting LC (5 years ago for me) and it's such a relief! But I know that there are many LCers who do have to watch them. And I'm VLC - most days I don't go over 10 carbs. My body is happy :)

betsywcnm
Mon, Jul-05-10, 07:47
You limit to 10 NET carbs or 10 total carbs? I think I could do that if it helps. I've seen others suggest increasing carbs and that doesn't seem intuitively right to me...

Calories are working out to ~1400-1500...so yes "watching them" I guess... that seems low enough...what do you think?

thanks for your input, I really appreciate it!

moondaught
Mon, Jul-05-10, 08:26
10 net. And some days I'm closer to 15, or even 20, but not often. My body is just much happier with mostly meat and eggs, and some cheese. I do love salads, and eat them probably 2 - 3 times a week; and I've been adding back in some very very limited amounts of some fruits, mostly blueberries (in HWC, oh heaven!).

And I know that my calories counts would be waaaaaaay over 1400 - 1500!

As far as increasing carbs - that didn't work for me. I tried tweaking in many different ways before I got where I am. But it does work for some people. One thing I've learned on this LC journey is that it is absolutely NOT a one-size-fits-all gig! You have to tweak, stay strong, stay with it, and figure out what *your* body needs to be healthy. Soak up all the information you can and just keep at it! Persistence is the key.

Chris_D
Mon, Jul-05-10, 11:20
Welcome Aboard! Glad you joined us! :wave:

This community is THE best for support, wisdom and motivation!

Think about starting a journal, its a great way of diarizing your thoughts, feelings, successes, trials and tribulations. Its also a wonderful way of getting to know one another. Feel free to pop by mine anytime!

Cheers,

~ Chris ~