PDA

View Full Version : New to forum 2nd time around on LC

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Dubgirl
Wed, Jun-30-10, 02:55
Hey everyone,

I did the LC thing about 8 years ago and lost over 50lbs in about 8 months. I'm getting married in four months and would like to lose about 28lbs to shift what I have put on in the last few years.

I'm trying New Atkins this time around and am in my third week of induction and it's not really going well so far with only 4lbs loss. From reading stuff on here I may not be eating enough but I'm in ketosis (high end) and exercising.

I did the Atkins last year for a few months and lost 14lbs without the exercise but I'm not getting the results this time so far - early days yet though I know but I'm used to seeing the weight drop a lot in the first phase.

All advice welcome. I'm determined to look good on my wedding day so I'm committed!

janmaree
Wed, Jun-30-10, 05:17
Good morning Dubgirl. I also am in Dublin and know exactly where you're coming from, in more ways than one! It's very hard to get going again, I'm doing the same thing starting today and that's how I saw your message. You did SO well the last time that you can't but achieve your goal again as you already know how it goes and what to expect. I'm not familiar with the new Atkins so I don't know how it differs from before but I wonder if there are any changes that might be making the difference to your progress. There are far, far more knowledgable people on this forum than I am who will be along soon to offer very good advice but if I were in your shoes at the moment, I'd be looking hard at what I did the last time and that's what I'd be doing this time as well. "Better the divil you know, than the one you don't" as we say!!! Anyway, the very best of luck to you and I'll drop by from time to time to see how you're getting on! Good luck!!!

Dubgirl
Wed, Jun-30-10, 05:36
Cheers Janmaree! Good to know there's another Dub in here!

I wish we could get hold of all the low-carb products you can get in the US... would make life easier for sure.

The main difference in two plans is to get more of your 20gr of carbs from vegetables (and no nuts/yoghurt/milk at all in Phase 1) so I'm eating a fair few more than I would have on induction before and I would have snacked on nuts a fair bit before. I'm also exercising more but losing less... :q:

I do think it is healthier though so I'm giving it another full week.

Let's keep in touch :)

janmaree
Wed, Jun-30-10, 06:07
Hi again Dubgirl. Reading over your first post again, I notice that you feel you may not be eating enough and maybe you're right. I've often heard it said that the body tends to assume a "siege mentality" when food intake drops dramatically and it's as if it tries desperately to hold on to every calorie it finds to stave off the effects of starvation, as the body sees it. I'd be inclined to eat more of the things you can have so that the body can breath a sigh of relief and start burning fuel again! Otherwise it sounds like you're doing everything right and exercising, fair play to you, (I confess to being allergic to exertion myself - I get all the exercise I can handle just trying to make the trolleys in Dunnes go straight), so as long as you're taking enough water every day, you're bound to get to where you want to be. Dr. Atkins always said that the loss in inches could be more noticeable than the drop on the weighing scales and that's bound to happen with what you're doing already. Please don't give up when the next week is over, you'll achieve much more than weight loss if you stick with it and looking good, feeling good and having energy to burn is no mean achievement! So keep up the good work and yes, let's keep in touch as you suggest, it's an added bonus to discover a new pen pal and it's absolutely "BRILL" to find one with whom you have so much in common!!!

I've spent a lot of time looking online for low carb products but at the end of the day I've come to believe that a lot of these things are chemical concoctions that cost the earth and really don't help that much. Far better to research recipes for making what we need ourselves - at least we know what's in it!
If I come across anything that looks promising I'll let you know but in the meantime, please don't give up, you'll get to where you want to be and those wedding photos will be lifelong proof!

More later!

Dubgirl
Wed, Jun-30-10, 07:06
Don't worry, I'm not going to give up on low carbs or dieting (I'm pretty determined), I was referring to the New Atkins approach which limits your fat intake more so than the old diet does - or at leas the kind of stuff you can eat. I'm not an expert though so I could do with some advice from those who know more.

I find getting some ingredients hard though, like soy flour etc, and wish the nutritional info included net carbs.

Thanks for the encouragement!

janmaree
Sun, Jul-04-10, 07:16
Hi again, glad to hear that you're so determined.........maybe some of your determination will rub off on me! I could do with a good kick to keep going! If it's any help to you, I've seen soy flour on sale in Natures Way, along with those whey protein powders, though they seem to be widely available these days. I've done a lot of browsing for low carb baking recipes to help wean me off the starchy stuff without going cold turkey. Anyway, if there isn't a Natures Way close to you, it is possible to purchase from them online so you can definitely get your soy flour OK.

By the way, what kind of breakfast do you go for on Atkins, if you don't mind me asking? I like eggs just fine but I get a little tired of them all the time and some ideas for a different breakfast would help! I have also followed the thread here for flax bread and have made it quite a few times, so if you are really missing it you should have a read and try it. It's different but very acceptable, and sometimes a piece of "toast" with that sardine is a must! Good luck, and more later.

crs
Sun, Jul-04-10, 15:40
Hey there :) I will offer a few suggestions that may or may not help you out.

The first is to not put as much stock in the numbers on the scale. You will find that you can fit into smaller clothing a lot faster than the numbers on the scale move. It is amazing but so true. It is wonderful to see the numbers dropping but not always a good indicator of your progress.

Second, if you are certain that you are on plan then you "are" losing(no matter what the scale says--unless there is some medical issue, ...). Just keep doing what your're doing and over time you will reap the rewards. Now if you haven't been on plan 100%, make the adjustments and keep going. By the time your wedding day comes you'll be looking and feeling great!

Last, it sometimes helps to reread sections of the book/books to reassure yourself that you are following plan correctly. Also, rereading allows you to pick up on ideas and suggestions that help you stay on track to your goal. This board is also filled with great information and support. Good luck to you! hth ~:)