PDA

View Full Version : Hot Flashes Gone!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

misskriss
Tue, Jun-29-10, 19:26
Has this happened to anyone else, or can anyone give me an explanation?
I have been getting hot flashes for the last few months. I'm 52 and pretty much figured It was my time. I started Induction a week and a half ago and for the last week I noticed my Hot Flashes have disappeared! I'm pretty sure it coincided with Ketosis. Is there any research on Ketosis and Hot Flashes?
Misskriss

sondacop
Tue, Jun-29-10, 19:45
"The Brain Trust" explains that estrogen helps transfer some of the glucose to the brain. When that diminishes such as during menopause, a hot flash happens. He recommends a ketongetic diet to give the brain an constant energy supply.

misskriss
Tue, Jun-29-10, 19:57
Thanks, I have that book...I'll have to read it again.

Nancy LC
Tue, Jun-29-10, 20:18
Oh! This is good to hear. Maybe I won't get them!

Woodsy
Tue, Jun-29-10, 21:22
I get a "hot flash" after eating carbs and my blood sugar rises.

Chris_D
Wed, Jun-30-10, 09:45
I have been low carbing since the end of this May; my hot flashes have not disappeared BUT the intensitivity and frequency has improved (thank goodness)! I hit peri-menopause in my late 30's and was menopausal in my early 40's (and not surgically induced either!) so I welcome the change (pardon the pun :)) in those annoying flashes!!

tbagram
Wed, Jun-30-10, 11:14
At the age of 59, I have noticed also, that my "whiskers" are few and far between. I used to have to pull them (and they always came back in the same spot). I look for them daily and they are not there!

mirinblue
Wed, Jun-30-10, 11:43
I've always heard that estrogen is stored in fat so it kinda makes sense to me that the less fat-the less storage and flucuation of hormones-so less hot flashes! YAY!

sondacop
Thu, Jul-01-10, 05:05
I've always heard that estrogen is stored in fat so it kinda makes sense to me that the less fat-the less storage and flucuation of hormones-so less hot flashes! YAY!

I don't think that is correct, since then we would see a correlation between hot flashes and weight. I understood that fat cells can produce estrogen, and that is why heavy woman can have pcos. But most of the estrogen is produced in the ovaries.

misskriss
Thu, Jul-01-10, 07:38
I have been "low carbing for years" but I am not always in ketosis.
It has only since I've been in ketosis that the hot flashes have stopped.

misskriss
Thu, Jul-01-10, 07:49
I did reread The Brain Trust...and as Sondacop pointed out it has to be ketosis and I think early menopause...though I don't know why. It sounds like the brain gets used to the estrogen helping transfer the glucose and when the estrogen is gone the glucose does not get transferred. In Ketosis the brain uses ketones for fuel and not glucose. He also gives a recipe for "Ketogenic Cocktail" to get you into ketosis faster.

CMCM
Thu, Jul-01-10, 10:15
Remember that fat itself, and particularly belly fat, functions like an organ and it produces hormones. I had virtually no hot flashes and a very uneventful menopause due, I strongly believe, to cleaning up my diet, mostly eliminating sugar and starches, and exercise. I was determined it wasn't going to affect me, and it didn't. My experience was that a lot of my initial symptoms were diet driven. And I never ever took any hormones, they were unnecessary.

Nelson
Thu, Jul-01-10, 12:57
Remember that fat itself, and particularly belly fat, functions like an organ and it produces hormones. I had virtually no hot flashes and a very uneventful menopause due, I strongly believe, to cleaning up my diet, mostly eliminating sugar and starches, and exercise. I was determined it wasn't going to affect me, and it didn't. My experience was that a lot of my initial symptoms were diet driven. And I never ever took any hormones, they were unnecessary.
A year ago I would have said exactly the same thing: no hot flashes unless I let myself get out of ketosis (carby vacation eating was a real hot flash engine), but last November, my hot flashes hit with a vengence, and ketosis does not stop them. I think LC delayed (and is still ameliorating somewhat) my menopause symptoms, but my earlier success was really a reflection of perimenopause--the true menopause has resulted in hot flashes and weight gain, despite being in ketosis. (I had a hysterectomy in 1998, that is why there were some questions about when my ovaries flamed out.)