PDA

View Full Version : Unfamiliar face.......very familiar story

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

LessIsMo
Sat, Jun-26-10, 13:26
[I]Hello all......

As I'm sure you've all read so many times......today is my day 1. (Oh...by the way, my name is Maureen....mo is my nicname.) ;) This isn't the day 1 of any new way of eating....but it's my day 1 of the rest of my life!!! I have been teetering between the choice of starting Atkins or starting Weight Watchers (again) for weeks.....all the while stuffing my face with chips and eating a bag of rolos as I watched television. I lost about 40 pounds or so on weight watchers about 9 years ago.....I started atkins a couple times but really gave up on it within about a month. I guess that saying "timing is everything" has been ringing true for most of us.....and now for me......I hear the bell and now it's "my time".

I don't really know why today was different for me.....I admit to lurking around this site here and there for a few years now....never actually getting as far as even giving myself a name to go by on here.....guess I just wasn't really ready to commit........but here I am today. I have spent most of my adult life "chunky".....now I'd have to say I'm morbidly obese (mannn that sounds awful....but the truth isn't always "pretty"). I'm a Registered Nurse......and I've witnessed other co-workers lose weight on so many different diets through the years.....Atkins was one that I was so against for the longest time.....I never really gave it a good look until a few years ago because I didn't really think ANY "diet" worked.......I guess I've realized that no "diet" worked because I didn't work IT!

I can't walk a flight of stairs without becoming winded......when I tie my shoes.....I have to hold my breath when I bend over.....I constantly try to adjust and pull and tug at clothing because I feel it's so uncomfortable and I'm trying to cover the fat.....I have a fantastic fiance who I will be marrying next May and honestly.....I don't want to wear a tent that day!!!! lol It's more than all the vanity though.....I want to FEEL good!!! I can honestly say that I don't even remember the last time I felt "good" physically.....I've just adapted to feeling "ok" here and there but I don't ever really feel "good" at this weight...........................

Which brings me here......typing away here after spending several hours desperately reading story after story on this site and being so inspired by the pictures where the proof to me really is......I like to SEE the results!! For all of you who post those pictures along the way of your journey to health....BRAVO!! Us "newbies" sitting at home feeling horrible about our bodies...with our spirits at an all time low.......well, we need those stories and ESPECIALLY those pictures!!! Just know that by sharing....you are all inspiring even the lurkers like me.......I didn't know when I woke up that today would be the day for me........but something was drawing me to this site......and every single one of you who posted and shared the successes have inspired me today to start my life.......I WILL feel GREAT one day......it's a process......but I'm finally ready to BE the process.....I am a work in progress.....I'm ready to share my successes with all of you now.......hopefully to inspire someone else along the way as well.....just like all of you who are posting do for me!!!!

Lowcarbs4m
Sat, Jun-26-10, 13:40
Welcome, Mo! :wave:

I know what you mean by feeling that this time is different. I can always tell when I am ready to make progress.

I believe that your joining a forum is a great step towards success. I credit my initial 20 lb. weight loss to friends at a similar forum who really held me accountable and shared so many tips that made all the difference.

I'm doing Atkins, too. I've chosen the 72 version. What version have you chosen?

LC_mermaid
Sat, Jun-26-10, 14:58
Hi Mo, I also knew last year when I started that "this time it was the time that I was just going to do it and not look back" I do find that this mindset has gotten me through. One of my motto's is "do what you have to do to get what you want". I am a ww drop out many times over, I end up eating all of my points on junkfood and I actually lose for a while, then I hit a bad day and eat my junk food in bigger portions and its all over for me. I feel such real control on Atkins. Good luck on your journey.