PDA

View Full Version : Clarity, I want you back!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

2Tired2Fat
Sat, Jun-19-10, 07:01
An Early Birthday Gift

In a few days, it'll be my birthday and I've come to the realization that I'm getting fatter and fatter as the days pass me by. I avoid mirrors and really don't enjoy the fact that I really should be wearing a size 40 bra instead of the 36 that literally leaves a bright red ring around my ribs. Getting up from bed or even sitting down has become painful. My joints are stiff and achy and the fire in my chest from indigestion is really uncalled for. I get depressed, I'm moody and there are 'other' health issues (female) that I have got to deal with. Enough is enough.

I've done Atkins before, lost a whole bunch of weight - how much? I don't know. I just know I went from about a size 18 to a 12. I never gauged the pounds lost. Big mistake, I know. When I hit size 12, I started having self-image issues and somehow the pounds shed that were my protection were somehow missed. Messed up, I know. I plan to face these issues dead center in the face and will try my best to overcome this. I'm also going to buy the dreaded scale. How could such a small electronic device frighten me so much?

I remember when I reached a size 12, I noticed just how healthy my skin, hair and nails were. I also remember the level of energy I had along with clarity. Oh, how I miss that clarity. My days now are filled with fog, feeling uptight and certainly next to zero energy.

I enjoyed eating LC, really didn't feel neglected in any sort of way since there are so many great options out there. I do have issues with bread now - freshly baked bread. It's my comfort and I would be lying if I say I won't miss it. Crusty rolls with breakfast cream was the first high carb snack I had after 6 months of eating clean. After that, it all went downhill from there. I'm into baking and am known to be the 'cake lady' of the family. I'll certainly miss Hawaiian, coffee and angel food cake. I hope that I'll reach that point a few weeks down the road where I'll say to myself, "2Tired, It's just cake!"

I started my first day of Atkins today on the wrong track. I've certainly undereaten, all a result of really poor planning. I hope to get back in the saddle full force and this time I'll add excercise to my (again) new w.o.e. I can't wait to get out of this fog and see things clearly.

Priiya
Sat, Jun-19-10, 08:23
I began low carb for similar reasons -- depression, lethargy, fog and a host of other symptoms of just not being quite "right." Your post reminds me of why I'm doing all this, thank you.

This is a very supportive community for people who want to lose weight. For what it's worth from someone who didn't have weight issues -- I really hope this path works for you as it has for so many others. Welcome.

elisaannh
Sat, Jun-19-10, 10:25
Happy Birthday! What a great present to give yourself! Yes, I love the clarity and wonderful sense of wellbeing LC brings!

2Tired2Fat
Sat, Jun-19-10, 22:40
Thanks for the replies - I'm looking forward to all the support I can get from the boards! :)

wndrwendy
Sun, Jun-20-10, 16:04
You're driving the bus! Kudos to you for taking charge of which direction you are going to go with the rest of your life! I'm *very* new here, but I have adopted low-carb as a lifestyle...I will NEVER mindlessly shove sugar and carbs into my mouth again; I was very impressed by the South Beach Diet and the results my hubs and I had on the plan. Lots of best wishes and support coming your way!

Syrah
Sun, Jun-20-10, 17:40
While I started doing this primarily to get my "numbers" under control, I do want to lose weight. At this point, I'm keeping my fingers crossed those two things will happen over time.

But I feel like this regime is already paying out bigtime in restful sleep, good moods, laughter and yes, as you say, clarity. When I come face to face with a carb now, I ask my self "is eating that really worth feeling like you used to?". And the answer is always "nope!".

This is good.

sccriley
Mon, Jun-21-10, 18:46
Way to go! And Happy Birthday! I've been doing this for about a month now and I am not regretting a moment of it - or missing anything. I hope that your journey goes as well as mine has! Good luck! :thup: