PDA

View Full Version : Fats.

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

CallieM
Mon, May-24-10, 21:25
How much is a good amount of fats?

Examples?
Like say 1/4 cup of mayo (for deviled eggs). Is that good for a day?
Or
1 fatty steak (say like 6 ounces)
Or
What?

I try to eat lots more fats these days, but I dont really know whats a adequate amount. Was that in the DANDR book? I should go back and read....

Thanks guys :]

Callie

kazLaJauna
Mon, May-24-10, 21:37
How much is a good amount of fats?

Examples?
Like say 1/4 cup of mayo (for deviled eggs). Is that good for a day?
Or
1 fatty steak (say like 6 ounces)
Or
What?

I try to eat lots more fats these days, but I dont really know whats a adequate amount. Was that in the DANDR book? I should go back and read....

Thanks guys :]

Callie
You should be eating fats throughout the day, all day. 70%+ of your daily calories should be coming from fats. Butter on that steak, mayo in your eggs and slathered on cold cuts of ham, chicken and beef, butter on your veggies, fatty dressings on your salads....

OnaTR
Mon, May-24-10, 21:47
to echo what kazlajauna said, you should add a fat to every meal.
-eggs cooked in fat of your choice (coconut oil, olive oil, butter,etc)
-veggies topped with oil, butter, or cream
-salad with full fat dressings...and so on ;)

i noticed most days i'm at 65-70% fat, but some i go as high as 75-78% and i've been losing pretty steadily.

black57
Tue, May-25-10, 07:26
Become adventurous. Use other fats that you would have avoided in the past. Of course, avoid transfats but begin using a little coconut oil, palm oil, avocado oil, walnut oil etc. Actually use them as a part of your diet like you would a vegetable. Also indulge in butter. Add these oils to your vegetables, hot drinks such as tea or coffee. Venture into new ways to make salad dressings. Use heavy whipping cream also.

CallieM
Tue, May-25-10, 07:32
Humm well I work as accounting at the only grocery store here. (off the road system, living in rural alaska for the summers to work), so Ill see today if we have coconut oil, or any other than vegi/olive. We dont have a great variety. A gallon of milk here is 10.98$. Its a good thing I dont drink it!

But ill look into finding oilsmif not here, then ordering it online.