PDA

View Full Version : Help me to start induction, please, really need your help

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Wikireader
Mon, May-24-10, 11:07
Hi guys,

I have been trying to start induction, not so successfully though, ending up eating something wrong, obviously, since I am not losing any weight, but gaining instead...
So, I really need help with starting induction.
Am I eating too many calories, not enough fat... or eating wrong things... I am reading the book, and trying to follow it. But I need some help, please.
Ok, I have been eating those double cheeseburgers with no bun and no ketchup (from Burger King). Are they induction friendly?
Also, from this list, which ones are induction friendly? Should I eat them in limited quantity or not? ok, here is the list:
1. Mayonnaise?
2. Eggs?
3. Meat, such as beef, pork, chicken?
4. Sausages (label states 0 sugar/carb)
5. Tomatoes?
6. Cheese?
7. Which veggies and how much?
8. Exercise, yes or no? Weight or just cardio? Bike or walking or elliptical?
9. What time to stop eating in the evening? I go to sleep around 12am.
10. Any spices trigger cravings?
11. What FIBER supplements are induction friendly? What to do if constipated? :o
12. ANY OTHER TIPS to stay in induction and stay strong?
Thank you in advance :help:

Sapphire2
Mon, May-24-10, 11:18
1. Mayonnaise? Yes, it's ok check the sugar content
2. Eggs? Yes, unlimited unless you have other health issues that prohibit an unlimited amount
3. Meat, such as beef, pork, chicken? eat until satisfied, but not stuffed
4. Sausages (label states 0 sugar/carb Great they are no carb, but they are high in sodium, I would limit my intake
5. Tomatoes? Never committed the rules for this to memeory, I dont eat them
6. Cheese? 4 oz
8. Exercise, yes or no? Weight or just cardio? Bike or walking or elliptical? But of course you should exercise
9. What time to stop eating in the evening? I go to sleep around 12am. I personally eat when hungry
10. Any spices trigger cravings? not that i have heard of
11. ANY OTHER TIPS to stay in induction and stay strong? read the book

krystalr
Mon, May-24-10, 11:30
Ok, I have been eating those double cheeseburgers with no bun and no ketchup (from Burger King). Are they induction friendly?
Probably. I have stayed away from fast food since starting just because I don't "trust" it....I don't know if they have any fillers in their meat, so I personally don't do it.

1. Mayonnaise?
Fine for induction. High in omega 6 though as most commerical may uses soybean oil

2. Eggs?
Low carb super food :) Great for all phases.

Yes, yes and yes. On your red meat, try and get fattier cuts like ribeye or NY strip. 80/20 ground beef over leaner mixes. Dark meat chicken (legs and thighs) or chicken with the skin on. Pork is good, but watch the sodium.

Beware labels. In the US, if it has less than .5g of carbs per serving, they can claim 0. Often high in sodium as well. I'd eat in moderation.

5. Tomatoes?
Fine for induction in moderation. :)

6. Cheese?
I'd keep it to 3 ounces or less during induction. It can stall people.

Salad greens, spinach, kale, onions, bell peppers, asparagus, broccoli, cauliflouwer...check the stick at the top of this forum for induction friendly foods.

Yes, but don't go crazy with it. No marathon cardio sessions. Walking is very good for fat burning. Weights will give you definition and help tone.

This will be individual. I do best if I finish eating by about 6-7PM. Ideally 5:30 is my last meal/food for the day. I do not snack. If I eat later, I feel kind of crappy.

Not that I've found.

11. What FIBER supplements are induction friendly? What to do if constipated? :o
Psyllium husk is ok. Keep your fats high and drink plenty of water, and you should be ok. Sometimes fiber has the opposite effecton people..it doesn't always help. Megnesium taken at night will help if you have issues. It'll also help with leg cramping if you have any of that.

Thank you in advance :help:
Read the book. Follow the plan to the letter. Don't cheat, and don't reward yourself with food. :)

krystalr
Mon, May-24-10, 11:33
Also - post up several days worth of actual menus. It'll help us see if there is something out of line (calories, fat, carbs, etc).

If you track your food, an ideal induction breakdown of calories would be 5% from carbs, 25% from protein, 70% from fat. As long as your fat is high (60-70%) and your carbs are low, you're probably ok. You want to eat .7-1g of protein for each pound of lean mass that you have - that'll help ensure you don't lose lean/muscle mass along with your fat.

Wikireader
Mon, May-24-10, 12:31
Thank you, guys,

Like this morning I had three medium eggs with mayo and some olive oil, and some black pepper.
For lunch, maybe some KFC chicken?
Dinner: pork ribs or tuna fish with mayo?

BTW< does it matter whether to eat animal fat or other fats?
for example, beef ribs with fat on it... can we eat it, or animal fat is bad?

hysteria
Mon, May-24-10, 12:37
1. Mayonnaise?
Yes

2. Eggs?
Absolutely - not that I recommend this, but some folks do 'egg-fasts' to kick start weight loss

All of the above - I've fallen in love with super-marbled flank steaks (about $3.99# in my local grocery)

Other posters have touched on issues...if not homemade, can be high in sodium / fillers

5. Tomatoes?
I eat these in moderation as this is technically a 'fruit' & higher in total carbs - and I believe I read somewhere grape/cherry tomatoes are higher than regular

6. Cheese?
big staller for many - also can snag up the gut / cause constipation - but 2 - 4 oz total

7. Veggies
I eat lots of veggies - prob the one point I diverge from following induction to the "T" - personally, I eat about 6 cups of veggies a day

Differing opinions - I found walking / eliptical are fine

Not that it's my business, but are you getting enough sleep? I know studies have been done correlating the need for rest & weight loss / gain...I typically stop eating by 7:30 & am in bed by 10:30...

None that I can think of, but it could be a your mileage may very (ymmv) thing
11. What FIBER supplements are induction friendly? What to do if constipated?
Recently, I have found ground flax seed is my FRIEND! I believe (don't have my book readily avail) it is 2 tbsp on induction. Again, it is a YMMV thing - some of us like flax bread, others, not so much - 2 tbsp is enough to make 2 'slices' of bread using the various recipes - I have been VERY regular since adding flax in my repitoire

Mind over matter - when you're ready to settle into this WOE, you will...agree w/ others too about educating yourself about WHY LC works :)

Good luck!

krystalr
Mon, May-24-10, 12:43
Thank you, guys,

Like this morning I had three medium eggs with mayo and some olive oil, and some black pepper.
For lunch, maybe some KFC chicken?
Dinner: pork ribs or tuna fish with mayo?

BTW< does it matter whether to eat animal fat or other fats?
for example, beef ribs with fat on it... can we eat it, or animal fat is bad?

As I said in my original post - animal fat is good. Eat up.

KFC chicken? Even their grilled chicken is junky...has wheat and all kinds of other yuck. I'd stay far away from that.

KFC® Grilled Chicken
Fresh Chicken Marinated With Salt, Sodium Phosphate, and Monosodium Glutamate. Seasoned With: Maltodextrin, Salt, Bleached Wheat Flour, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean and Cottonseed Oil, Monosodium Glutamate, Secret Kentucky Grilled Chicken Spices, Palm Oil, Natural Flavor, Garlic Powder, Soy Sauce (Soybean, Wheat, Salt), Chicken Fat, Chicken Broth, Autolyzed Yeast, Beef Powder, Rendered Beef Fat, Extractives of Turmeric, Dehydrated Carrot, Onion Powder, and Not More Than 2% Each of Calcium Silicate and Silicon Dioxide Added As Anticaking Agents.
Contains Wheat and Soy.

Wikireader
Mon, May-24-10, 12:49
I am at school right now, and I didnt bring my lunch with me... what to do? there are all kind of fast food places around my school, which one is less harm?

serenity77
Mon, May-24-10, 12:50
I have rededicated myself to the Atkins program as of last Sunday. I re-read the book (and have been reading a little bit each nite as well). I wish you luck as I know you can do it as well!

Also, I started a food diary again. Even if it's just on paper (which can sometimes be easier than the computer if your on the run.). Write down EVERYTHING that you eat. I also have a tough time with staying with the program soooooo my words of advice since this time is looking different for me are:

1. eat meat but avoid processed meats (bacon is the exception for me - I love it.) I've been eating a lot of steak, lamb chops, 80/20 hamburger.
2. eat eggs, really as many as you want - especially in the beginning. Make a big batch of egg salad (mayo is just fine!).
3. write down everything you eat and figure your carb count. Don't go over 20 grams.
4. I bought Ketostix for the first time and after 3-4 days of induction I have been in ketosis since. These sticks are a great way to guage your success, see how well your doing, and keep you motivated.
5. Limit artificial sweeteners. 3 splenda packets a day or less. I have switched to coffee without sweeteners myself and have gotten used to it. I think that artificial sweeteners were causing me to go off plan alot because I was making too many sweet treats.
6. Exercise, Exercise, Exercise. At least something for 20-30 minutes a day. Atkins himself said that this program was not being done correctly if you do not exercise. I think it's an important part of the overall goal of weightloss, maintenance, and health. Dr. Atkins said it himself; exercise is non-negotiable. But find something you like - I myself started swimming again to break up the monotanity of the gym.
7. For now, i'm not eating too many vegetables just so that I can get my body in the swing of things for the first couple of weeks. IE: keepin it simple. Lots of meat and eggs when I'm hungry.
8. Water, water, water.

In just one week, I have improved drastically. Atkins really knew what he was talking about. My cravings are gone, my appetite is supressed, my mood is great.

If anything, I think the mindset for me is the most important part. I have decided to do this program the right way; the way that Atkins laid it out. The books that he has written have been so helpful. I would suggest just reading them as much as you can.

Good luck to you!!!

Wikireader
Mon, May-24-10, 12:50
i saw the content of KFC :eek:
why cant they just grill some chicken...
As I said in my original post - animal fat is good. Eat up.

KFC chicken? Even their grilled chicken is junky...has wheat and all kinds of other yuck. I'd stay far away from that.

krystalr
Mon, May-24-10, 12:56

That's what happens with fast food. Your best bet is to cook up a batch for yourself. Keep out what you can eat in a few days, freeze the rest for something easy later on when you need it. This is why I said in my initial post I stay away from fast food as a rule. Some poeple have it and don't have issues, but with a list like that for a piece of grilled chicken? No thanks!

As for a good option near you today, I don't know. The key is to do the best you can today while you don't have anything handy, and then make it a point to plan a little more ahead so you can bring a lunch/dinner with you if possible.

capmikee
Mon, May-24-10, 13:22
Many convenience stores sell hard-boiled eggs. My usual emergency snack is some hard-boiled egg yolks and anchovies.

karenjs
Mon, May-24-10, 14:59
If you live in the south there is a WalMart on every corner. Oscar Meyer chicken strips (pre-cooked) and boiled eggs from Walmart are my life saver when I forget lunch. Everyone else at work goes to Burger King, I just zip by Walmart.

Wikireader
Mon, May-24-10, 15:27
Thank you guys,
for my lunch I had lettuce salad with tuna+ranch dressing,
and two hard boiled eggs from the local restaurant.
It is another thing I need to learn, to plan my meals

How much ranch is allowed on induction?
thank you

3shewolf8
Mon, May-24-10, 15:47
I have suggestions but one question first. You said in your OP that you are reading the book. If you have the book, you can look up all foods that are acceptable on induction. Everything people are writing about are in the book. With that said a great snack is popping some pepperoni in the microwave until crispy and adding just a bit of shredded cheese on top. It gets crunch and delish. Keep reading, you will get it!

chermac
Mon, May-24-10, 16:32
Just wondering Wiki, have you managed to give up the booze? If I remember correctly, that was causing you a lot of problem before with not being able to get into ketosis. You should really go to the library and get an Atkins book and get familiar with the program. It's not the same to try and do this Way of Eating by yourself, you really do need a guideline. There is a ton of information on this forum, but reading up on the science behind the plan might help you decide if you're really ready to follow the program.

Kisal
Mon, May-24-10, 17:37
Check out this Sticky! In fact, why not print it out and carry it in your billfold? I suggest you ignore the last paragraph, though, about low-carb products. As a rule, they tend to stall many folks, so it's best just to avoid them completely. :)

Atkins Induction Acceptable Food List (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=236482).

ringamajig
Mon, May-24-10, 17:48
The ranch recipe in the new Atkins book says that 2 1/2 TBS is a serving.

IndyLauri
Sat, May-29-10, 12:43

No kidding!!! :lol:

crs
Sun, May-30-10, 11:50
Hey there :) Hopefully you have gotten a little farther in the book. You should keep it handy and refer to it often until you kinda know it inside out. Although I have read it a zillion times I still refer to it on occasion. Everything you need to know about food choices during induction is spelled out quite nicely. hth ~:)

walnut
Sun, May-30-10, 15:57
re fast food: wendy's meat patties are 100% beef, and all they add is salt. you can get them served on lettuce, i think they used to have it on the menu as an 'atkin's platter' or some such. it's not on the menu but they'll still serve it. my son cant have gluten so he usually gets 'a single patty no bun no toppings', never had a problem with it and they have asked if he wants it on lettuce (which he doesnt like! LOL).

also wendy's chicken blt salad with grilled chicken/no croutons/ranch dressing is 13gcarbs-3gfiber to give a grand total of 10 ecc. not bad for a lc meal, but a little high for induction if you plan to stay around 20 grams of carb per day. you can play around with the nutrition data on the wendy's website.

also, it can be helpful to carry some 0carb meatsticks or jerky with you for emergencies. or those little tins of fish with the pulltop lids. very handy, but make sure you check the carb content on the labels.

Wikireader
Sun, May-30-10, 23:11
Thank you guys so much for all your advises,
I finally started clean induction, and I have been eating eggs and meats with lots of fat (although I dont think I am consuming 70%). Also, I have been drinking lots of water.
I think my cravings for anything sweet are gone.
I was wondering if I could drink those sugar free crystal light drink mixes?

Elizellen
Mon, May-31-10, 05:21
You might find that adding sweetened drinks to your menus reawakens your sugar monster!

walnut
Mon, May-31-10, 09:14
if you're sick of water, try herbal teas like peppermint, fennel, etc. stick to the leaf based teas and steer clear of the fruity ones. you can make up a batch of hot tea in the evening, refrigerate it overnight and have a nice cold refreshing tea to bring with you in your clean canteen or whatever the next day.

capmikee
Tue, Jun-01-10, 07:28
McDonald's regular patties are nothing but beef, but the Angus Burgers have a seasoning that contains gluten.

I, too have a problem with plain water, but I love seltzer water. I have my own carbonator so I can have as much as I like at home.

Recently I've been trying to deal with a problem of low stomach acid (it's more common than you think!) and one thing you need to do is avoid drinking water at mealtimes. That's very hard for me because I get very thirsty when I eat, and rarely want anything at all when I'm not eating. But I'm starting to get used to it.

If I can't get fizzy water, or even when I do sometimes, I try to add a generous squeeze of lemon or lime. As a friend once pointed out, a craving for "sweet" drinks often means a craving for sour drinks in reality - it's just that most flavored drinks are both sweet and sour. Her solution was to drink kombucha. I would love it if I could do that, but I get a reaction to it. So lemon water is about the best I can do.

cnmLisa
Tue, Jun-01-10, 08:27
I think my cravings for anything sweet are gone.
I was wondering if I could drink those sugar free crystal light drink mixes?

These are a definite YMMV. There are many people on these boards who drink these with abandon with no issue what-so-ever.

I have found that these are EVIL for me. I can drink a diet soda, diet lemonade, or diet tonic without any problem at all--no cravings, no hindrance of weight loss. On the other hand Crystal Light makes me a craving raving maniac. I stay away from it with a 10-foot pole. But that's just me.

The only way you'll know is to try it and see how you react.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa

Wikireader
Mon, Jun-07-10, 10:29
Thank you,

I make Popsicles from them,
they dont cause any cravings in me, however, i wonder if they are not letting my induction to start... what do you think?

These are a definite YMMV. There are many people on these boards who drink these with abandon with no issue what-so-ever.

I have found that these are EVIL for me. I can drink a diet soda, diet lemonade, or diet tonic without any problem at all--no cravings, no hindrance of weight loss. On the other hand Crystal Light makes me a craving raving maniac. I stay away from it with a 10-foot pole. But that's just me.

The only way you'll know is to try it and see how you react.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa

Wikireader
Mon, Jun-07-10, 10:39
Thank you,

I thought that I started a clean induction, but I had wine three times last week,
and today I weighed myself, and I am still 255 lbs... and this is after one week of not eating any processed meats or any sugar free things... I have been doing mostly eggs, meat, and fats...
Now I know that I HAVE to stop drinking, and maybe stop with friends for few weeks, I guess I am still not strong enough to say NO to wine :idea:
All my friends can drink and eat, and not gain weight, but I am the one who gains weight
Just wondering Wiki, have you managed to give up the booze? If I remember correctly, that was causing you a lot of problem before with not being able to get into ketosis. You should really go to the library and get an Atkins book and get familiar with the program. It's not the same to try and do this Way of Eating by yourself, you really do need a guideline. There is a ton of information on this forum, but reading up on the science behind the plan might help you decide if you're really ready to follow the program.

Wikireader
Mon, Jun-07-10, 10:40
OK, now I have to keep track of foods I am eating,
is there a website to keep track of eaten foods?
or an iphone appication?

capmikee
Mon, Jun-07-10, 10:48
http://fitday.com/ is pretty good.

cnmLisa
Mon, Jun-07-10, 11:27
Top right corner--it's called MY PLAN.

I've used it for 5 years.

yo-yo71
Mon, Jun-07-10, 12:55
I use the iPhone app - "Low Carb Diet Assistant". I find it's really useful - especially if I am out and about - I can record what I eat and drink wherever I am.

It has a really wide variety of foods already listed in its database, but if you come across something that isn't included then you simply add that as a 'custom' entry which you can then use again and again.

x

Kisal
Mon, Jun-07-10, 17:36
I use the Lose It! iPhone app. It has a decent selection of foods, including restaurant and supermarket foods, and it's very easy to add a Custom food whenever you like. You can add recipes to it, also. :D

Wikireader
Mon, Jul-12-10, 11:17
thank you guys,
ok, so started induction, although I might called it a tuna induction, because I have been eating tuna fish+mayo+olive oil, and tons of water. For some reason, I tried to do egg fast, but it didnt work for me. My friend who recently lost weight told me to cook not too tasty food, so I wouldnt binge on it...

Wikireader
Mon, Jul-12-10, 11:20
I forgot to add,
like i said I have been eating tuna fish for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I also make a salad from lettuce and cucumbers during one of the meals. To make it little more fun, I also fry tuna in olive oil and add some low carb spices

girlbug2
Mon, Jul-12-10, 11:52
Tuna is good stuff, full of Omega 3s and very induction friendly.

However--be cautious about overdoing tuna and certain other fish. Remember when Entourage actor Jeremy Piven dropped out of production because of mercury poisoning? He loved tuna sushi, ate it every day for several weeks. Whether canned or fresh, tuna is one of the fish that's highest in mercury contamination.

I wouldn't give up tuna entirely. It's still a great food. If you are eating it so much for economic reasons (canned tuna is one of the least expensive sources of protein available), try other canned fish like salmon and sardines which are at lower risk for mercury.

Wikireader
Mon, Jul-12-10, 12:06
great point,
somehow, I have forgotten about mercury level in the fish,
i think i will reduce tuna and add other kinds of fish.
PS: this is why I love this forum, you guys are great :wave:

However--be cautious about overdoing tuna and certain other fish. Remember when Entourage actor Jeremy Piven dropped out of production because of mercury poisoning? He loved tuna sushi, ate it every day for several weeks. Whether canned or fresh, tuna is one of the fish that's highest in mercury contamination.

I wouldn't give up tuna entirely. It's still a great food. If you are eating it so much for economic reasons (canned tuna is one of the least expensive sources of protein available), try other canned fish like salmon and sardines which are at lower risk for mercury.

CMCM
Mon, Jul-12-10, 15:02
thank you guys,
ok, so started induction, although I might called it a tuna induction, because I have been eating tuna fish+mayo+olive oil, and tons of water. For some reason, I tried to do egg fast, but it didnt work for me. My friend who recently lost weight told me to cook not too tasty food, so I wouldnt binge on it...

I'm a person who LOVES food. What I realized works best for me is to not get too adventurous and to not get all tied up in recipes and variety. I once heard some "expert" say to make your breakfast and lunch pretty much the same every day, or at least, just have a few things to rotate. Then the variable is always dinner.

So I eat exactly the same thing every morning: 2 eggs prepared various ways, with 2 pieces of bacon and 1 pork sausage, a cappucchino with 1/3 c. of half and half in it, 16 oz. water, 8 oz. green tea. This breakfast keeps me really really full until way past lunch, and quite often I don't even eat lunch because I'm simply not hungry. If I do eat lunch, it tends to be 3 oz. deli turkey, 1-2 oz. cheese, small salad. Or sometimes I have a piece of cheesecake for lunch, nothing else. Dinner has gotten much simpler: meat or fish, veggie or salad. I keep it real simple and forget about exciting and exotic recipes because I know my issues with portion control. I keep things real real simple, and one of the reasons is that I need to eat to live and not live to eat. Food has to be a smaller part of my life than it used to be.

CMCM
Mon, Jul-12-10, 15:06

You're right about subbing salmon for tuna. I often make up a tuna salad, with tuna/onion/celery/mayo/grated cheddar in it, then heat it a bit in the microwave till the cheese melts and plop it on lettuce One day I accidentally picked up a can of salmon (the lighter pink type) and made my tuna recipe, and you could hardly tell the difference in taste with this recipe. My husband and son didn't even realize it wasn't tuna!

ndhr515
Mon, Jul-12-10, 19:01
Hi,
I know induction is tough stuff. Let me tell you what worked for me...Protein for breakfast. Not just eggs though. For the past few mornings, I have had hamburgers. Yes, I know it's technically not "breakfast" food but I'll tell ya: a) it blunts cravings first thing in the morning b) I get through my workout feeling energized and c) i'm full most of the morning.
I also eat steak for breakfast, chicken, whatever. I just put the morning beliefs aside and it's done amazing things for me :)

Wikireader
Mon, Jul-12-10, 22:04
when last time i did the Atkins diet and lost 80lbs, i had this wonderful habit of preparing/pre-cooking whole meats. and every time I got hungry, I would just snack on them. I should re-learn that habit, it really helped me.

Wikireader
Mon, Jul-12-10, 22:08
does anyone know, or have done EGG FAST? how do you do it? is there a risk of over-doing it? how many eggs a day can you consume during egg fasting? do you add any fiber and how? please, advise. I dont want to get mercury poisoning from too much tuna... thank you in advance

chaos2010
Mon, Jul-12-10, 22:25
hi all,
i found a fantastic salad from wendy's, very low carb AND induction friendly! i know lots of people know about the chicken BLT with GRILLED chicken, but no croutons *obviously* and either the classic ranch dressing (1 carb, no sugar) or the ancho chipotle ranch (3 carbs, 2 sugars, not so great, but tasty!), it's a super low carb salad!

that's my oops-i-didn't-pack-lunch quick lunch!:D