PDA

View Full Version : I'm new at this and need encouaragement!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

kendysu
Sun, Apr-21-02, 10:37
HI- I just started two weeks ago! The first week I lost 9 pounds! But this week I've gained 2! I don't understand how- I have barely added any carbs and the ketone strips indicate that I'm in ketosis- fat burning. Does anyone have any advice or similar happening to maybe help me out! I actually have my head in the game this time and I really want to lose weight! I want this to work for me! Help!

gwilson38
Sun, Apr-21-02, 15:30
Most people will lose a lot the 1st week and maybe even the second week BUT your body needs time to adjust. 9 pounds in a week is a lot. Think about it...9 pounds in a month is a great amount! Dont worry about the scale. Make sure U are eating at least 20 grams of carbs a day. [cutting down too many can cause a weight loss stall] Drink ALOT of water. And read as much about low-carbing as U can. Knowing all the ins and out of low-carbing can be a very useful tool.

razzle
Mon, Apr-22-02, 10:12
welcome to the forum

After your induction loss of 9 pounds, expect a loss of about 1-1.5 pounds per week, on average. That means some weeks, no loss, some weeks, 2-3 pounds. Most people find weighing every day and seeing the normal fluctuations in body weight is too upsetting and do better if they weigh less often. If you're into a healthier way of eating for the long term, it really doesn't matter all that much how quickly you lose weight (as long as it's not too quickly--more than 2 pounds a week after the initial loss is not healthy)--just that the weight comes off permanently and leaves you a healthier person! that first 9 pounds is fun...and now you settle in for the long haul--not very dramatic stuff, but very good for you. :)

LittleAnne
Tue, Apr-23-02, 02:50
Hi and welcome

Congratulations on loosing 9 pounds in a week. You must be pleased with that. What you experienced in the second week is quite common having read many other similar posts. Your body needs time to adjust after loosing all that weight. You can be reassured that it is water and not fat, so some time soon it will fall off again.

Now you start your ongoing weightloss part of the scheme and as has already been said you should expect to loose around one to 2 pounds a week. However, for all of us, there comes a time when this can slow down as well.

Keep visiting this site as it is a great place for support, advice, information and motivation.