PDA

View Full Version : strawberries?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Candiflip
Sun, May-09-10, 20:59
Hey all,
I thought I read here I can have strawberries? I can't find nutritional info on them anywhere! Any help please?

NewRuth
Sun, May-09-10, 21:32
Here you go -

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/2064/2

GlendaRC
Sun, May-09-10, 23:38
Hey all,
I thought I read here I can have strawberries? I can't find nutritional info on them anywhere! Any help please?
Have you read your DANDR? Berries are added on the 4th rung of the OWL LADDER and yes, strawberries are included! Enjoy!!

cnmLisa
Mon, May-10-10, 08:23
Have you read your DANDR? Berries are added on the 4th rung of the OWL LADDER and yes, strawberries are included! Enjoy!!

But....

Please add them following the tenents of OWL properly.

This is how I found out that strawberries are a huge crave inducer for me while
raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries are not.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa

Candiflip
Mon, May-10-10, 12:24
thanks all!
So I ended up not eating. I was not ready to go past 20 carbs a day. Oh well.. good know they are something I can look fw closer to when I reach my goal!

*Sheila*
Mon, May-10-10, 14:34
If I remember correctly you can add them in phase 2. http://www.atkins.com/program/phase2/WhatYouCanEatinthisPhase.aspx

I don't often trust that site anymore but def check out your dandr.

Ana:-)
Tue, May-11-10, 11:41
I have another Q. about berries... How often do people eat berries and how much? Do you eat tiny 1/4 of a cup or, like me, go overboard?

Sometimes I mix passion fruit with cream - not sure if that is ok - anybody?

katmeyster
Tue, May-11-10, 12:22
I have another Q. about berries... How often do people eat berries and how much? Do you eat tiny 1/4 of a cup or, like me, go overboard?

I eat only blueberries, and about a 1/4 cup is the most I'll eat. Sometimes I actually count the blueberries -- up to 10.

PurpleBass
Tue, May-11-10, 14:21

You need to not go overboard. It's very easy to get too much sugar this way. (Yes, it's natural, but it's still sugar.)

Fruit with cream is probably better than without - the fat in the cream should slow down your absorption of the sugar. I would definitely find a good carb counter and track how many carbs are coming from the fruit.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

Elizellen
Tue, May-11-10, 15:09
I agree with having some fat with the fruit to help dissipate any sugar-spike problems.

One passionfruit has about 2 net carbs according to the USDA database, so a couple would make a nice snack with some cream or yogurt!

crs
Tue, May-11-10, 16:32
I usually have a half a cup of strawberries or a mix of strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and/or blackberries. I added them about three or four weeks ago and have not had any problems at all. I try and alternate berries with canteloupe and have occasionally had honey dew. ~ :)

Thu, May-13-10, 15:05
Oops :( I did go overboard with berries and with melon too. I am in the UK and we measure in grams, so in my mind half a cup is something like 200g. Obviously not!
Passion fruit and Greek yogurt or whipped cream - mmmm, my favourite treat.

Elizellen
Fri, May-14-10, 11:41
According to the USDA database
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/
one cup of sliced strawberries weighs about 166 grams, so a 1/2 cup would be around 80 grams only!!

Fri, May-14-10, 13:50
:eek: 80 grams!
Well, no more berries for me until I reach my goal.
Thanks for info. :thup:

PurpleBass
Fri, May-14-10, 15:10
No no no... half a cup of strawberries WEIGHS 80 grams! Not has 80 grams of carbohydrate. :)

GlendaRC
Fri, May-14-10, 15:44
1/2 a cup = 125 mL so you can measure by volume as well.