PDA

View Full Version : in need of some help!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

valerieD24
Tue, May-04-10, 19:57
I moved in with a family who promotes low calorie/ low fat diets because that is what works for them. Sticking to my diet has been very very hard on me. I am here to lose weight for the National Guard. since being here I stick to the diet about 3-5 days then an event comes up where there is absolutely no food for me to eat in either the house or the event. The other day I went so long without eating I actually passed out in a room full of people. I felt like crap and had to eat the "carby" foods. I am still guilty. Even today the diet was hard for a meal I had to eat an atkins bar. When I eat this stuff I can't lose at all. I've been stuck between 196-205 now for over 4 weeks. I'm so fustrated. I work out anywhere from 1-3 hours a day 4-7 days a week. I am hardly eating. The people I live with have no problem with my choice of eating. Its just hard to not have the resources i need for the diet to fully work. Can you suggest any thing that would maybe make this a little easier for me. I have tried going out and buying food but I only have so much money and can't afford to buy everything I need.

g-didi
Tue, May-04-10, 20:30
This doesnt solve your dilemma, but I have found tuna to be a godsend. Cheap, it keeps, and you can whip it up in a snap. You can keep the tuna for occasions at home or if you go to an event whip up some mayo and tuna in a little plastic tub and have a little snack - I do this a lot if we go somewhere and keep it in the car in the cooler pack/lunchbag thing and just pop out and grab a bite. So its not the most interesting, but it meets the criterea of LC and cheap. Maybe you can find something to do with tuna that will meet your needs.

valerieD24
Tue, May-04-10, 20:41
I never thought about tuna.. I guess its not something I eat much. but hey Its better than not eating at all

pinkelsie
Tue, May-04-10, 21:10
eggs are pretty cheap! you might get sick of them, but you san buy several dozen for just a few dollars

Almajo
Wed, May-05-10, 00:08
Are you able to have part of a refrigerator shelf (or a good size plastic container) that is absolutely just yours? And is there a space in your room where you can keep a few things when you find them on a good sale? There's many quick and easy to do lc items (but real food) that would help I think. Don't go without eating to the point of passing out! Good Luck to you, Alma

Elizellen
Wed, May-05-10, 04:34
I second the suggestions of boiled eggs and tuna in a packet or tin for quick and easy snacks/meals.

I imagine the family you are staying with has plenty of salady stuff available, so having a plate of that with your own container of fullfat dressing and a tin of tuna or few sliced hardboiled eggs shoudl help you stay on track.

Another fairly cheap versatile food you can cook if they let you use the kitchen equipment and store cooked food in their fridge is a roast chicken - just buy a raw one and roast it to have several days worth of 'legal' food for meals or snacks.

They will no doubt be horrified to see you eat that yummy crispy skin but it is 'legal' in yourchosen way fo eating, so just brave the stares and comments ;)

hysteria
Wed, May-05-10, 09:09
Another way I've found tuna travels well is in patties. Again, if you have kitchen privilages: 2 cans of tuna, 2/3tbsp mayo, 2 eggs, spices & cheese (optional) - mix all ingredients then fry them in butter or oil (olive).
I'm not one who can just eat tuna/mayo plain, even though I absolutely LOVE fish of all types - go figure...I've mixed it up & substituted mayo w/ ranch dressing too :yum:

oh yah...& egg muffins - REALLY cheap, filling & tasty:
10 eggs
1 pkg mild or hot sausage
spices
cheese (I usually don't)
muffin tin

cook/drain sausage
mix eggs w/ spices & add sauage
spoon mixture into muffin tins
cook at 375 for about 15-20 minutes - they puff up, but will fall when removed from the oven

I've also seen a variation of this as a quiche cooked in a 9 X 9 cake pan (apparently easier clean up)

:wave: good luck & congrats on doing the National Guard!

krystalr
Wed, May-05-10, 09:33
I second the chicken. At my store, the already roasted ones are less then raw..so easier just to grab one or two. They are $4.49 at my store. Another easy cheapie is ground beef. These should be budget friendly, and give you several meal options...chances are they have a variety of spices and veggis to add in, so you should be pretty good to go.

Are you able to cook for yourself? Do they have a grill

valerieD24
Wed, May-05-10, 14:11
u know quiche thing sounds pretty cool never thought of that. I could make them in a cup cake tin and have them ready to just pop out and eat. thats a cool idea. I should go out and buy some ziplock containers make up some ground beef stir fry and label them to keep for seperate meals on the go. Wow thanks everyone for the great ideas. You really got me thinking now. I guess I was just getting so worried I forgot to think.

PurpleBass
Wed, May-05-10, 15:07
How do you feel about cheese? It's a good thing to keep in the fridge, and if you get the full-fat stuff (as you should) your housemates probably won't touch it! :D